• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2016 Grow

Well, I finally decided to start a Glog.  I have quite a few plants that ore OW from last year, and some new ones that I started this January.  Here is the list, lots of pics to follow, I'm still in the process of planting out.  Most everything is going into root pouches, and pots, but I do have 9 total rocoto plants in the ground as well.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Limo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pacay
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Fantasy Yellow
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)
Rocoto Cusco
Mini Rocoto
Brown Rocoto
Orange Rocoto
Rocoto Peron
Rocoto Montufar
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
Aji Oro (Rocoto)
Aji Largo (Rocoto)
Rocoto Arequipeno
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto
Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate Brainstrain
Pipi De Mono
Aribibi Gusano
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Peach Scorpion
Peach Ghost Scorpion
White Fatalli
Bolsa De Dulce
Tepin x Lemon Drop
PDN x Bhut (Ripens Cream)
Coyote Zan White
Red Primo

Cool your growing Aji Dulce. Most Aji Dulce imported to the U.S is from the Dominican Republic from what I understand. Heard some folks complaining they weren't what grows is Puerto rico tho. I have tried to grow from one of these so called "aji dulce" but there was detectable heat in those pods. I actually feel aji jobito would be suitable and maybe even better to use in Sofrito. What you think?

Grass Snake said:
Cool your growing Aji Dulce. Most Aji Dulce imported to the U.S is from the Dominican Republic from what I understand. Heard some folks complaining they weren't what grows is Puerto rico tho. I have tried to grow from one of these so called "aji dulce" but there was detectable heat in those pods. I actually feel aji jobito would be suitable and maybe even better to use in Sofrito. What you think?
I've never had a jobito, so I can't draw any comparison. The aji dulces I'm growing have absolutely no heat though, and work quite well in sofrito. I do plan on growing the jobito next year.

A shout out to Dale:

252.jpg

Thanks so much for the seeds! Can't wait to get them going ;) The pubes hit the dirt by the weekend the latest.

Once again thanks!

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
nice harvests :clap:

how much longer is your season there ?  ours is about over here (time to move the overwinters indoors)

beautiful pods and pics !

:cheers:
GIP
I probably have another 3 weeks to a month or so. I was picking rocoto still in late October of last year. I have already started pruning back some plants a bit to prepare for the winter. I know exactly which plants are going inside for OW, and which ones are going to die once winter sets in.
az1000 said:
Great harvest !
Thanks!
tctenten said:
Beautiful pubes!!!!
Thanks! I've been eating rocoto everything lately. I'd have to say the rocoto jelly is the best rocoto product I've made this Summer, aside from the rocoto saison.

I snapped a few pics as I fired up the chimney to grill some ribs after work.

The aji pacay has been putting off some absolutely massive pods. My aji pacay plants are without a doubt the biggest in my garden. It is a Baccatum, very similar to aji amarillo. The flavor is much sweeter, and much less spicy than a standard aji amarillo. All three of my aji pacay plants got hit with a calcium deficiency, so I've learned to feed them extra calcium compared to the rest of my plants. I am going to overwinter all three of the pacay plants, and put them in 20 gallon root pouches next year to see what they can really do. Here is a pic of some ripening pods. The pods get so big that the plant has a very hard time to keep the branches elevated. I will definitely cage them next year.

The red manzano is setting lots of pods right now, that will never ripen before it freezes. This plant has been one of my lowest producing rocoto this year, and the sudden burst in pods with the nightime temp drop confirms my suspicion, that it just isn't suited to grow in NOVA.

I realizied I hadn't posted many pics of my rocoto rojo arequipeño plants on my glog, so I snapped a quick pic of a couple of pods. I will be making rocoto relleno with these, along with some more of their brethren in the next couple of days.

I picked a gallon bag full of aji amarillo while grilling. There are so many more ripening that I will grab in the next couple of weeks. I love that delicious aji amarillo!

I bottled up my peach bhut SS stout. I'm glad I put another fresh bhut in the secondary. The beer has a serious kick! Enough that it is still drinkable, but also enough that people that can't eat spicy stuff couldn't handle it. The flavor is extremely good. I bottle primed it with brown sugar. I'll start cracking these bottles in November/December.

I brewed a graff last night, after bottling the stout, since I scored some fresh pressed apple cider, and have been wanting to try brewing a graff for a while. I don't plan on adding any peppers to the graff, or do I...

looking good Dale! Glad to see the harvests are still rolling in ;)

For a cal issue I use calmag, 1 tsp per gallon and I just drench the plants via a foilar application. I mainly do this to the tomato plants to combat BER. It works 10x better than mixing it into a root watering.

I'm curious, what symptoms do you see in the peppers that have a calcium deficiency?

Keep it green!

t0mato said:
That's some serious poddage. Nice job brewing your own spicy stout. I'm sure it's delicious.
Thanks man! I can't wait to try it out carbonated and after a few months of bottle conditioning. It tasted good flat while I was bottling it, so that's a good sign.
Devv said:
looking good Dale! Glad to see the harvests are still rolling in ;)

For a cal issue I use calmag, 1 tsp per gallon and I just drench the plants via a foilar application. I mainly do this to the tomato plants to combat BER. It works 10x better than mixing it into a root watering.

I'm curious, what symptoms do you see in the peppers that have a calcium deficiency?

Keep it green!
About 6 weeks ago the aji pacay pods started getting a few brown spots on them, whether they were green, or ripening. Not quite like BER, but similar. I hit them with a foliar calcium spray every other week since, and the pods are healthy now.

I went out to pick pods today, and as I picked, I pruned the plants way back. I completely cut down the bed of 5 Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto, since they had no more pods that could possibly be ripened by first frost.

The aji Dulce is unaffected by the drop in temps and rain, and just keep on putting out pods.

I saw this oddly shaped aji amarillo on one of my plants. I've never seen one with a stinger before. I'll definitely save the seeds from it if it ripens before frost hits.

I picked another bunch of Aji Amarillo, with another 50 pods or so that are almost ripened. I'm making a locro de zapallo with some of them right now, and it smells amazing.

This is the rocoto pickings for the day, there are still a ton of pods that are almost red/yellow/orange.

Back