• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Thompson and Morgan tepin seeds at walmart

I found a package and was going to leave them as it is too late to start anymore seeds this year but decided to buy them for next years crop.
package says they are the worlds hottest chili pepper ....????

I see some of you grow these and was wondering if they are anygood??

I was also sure of that as tepin vs naga ....
I will put them in the dirt next year and see what they are all about.
I just wish I lived in a climate that I could grow year round!!!!!!!!!!

I was told by a friend with a greenhouse that his cherry bomb pepper plants were the hottest in the world.
I asked him what color the sky was in his world!!
some people have no idea what hot is and what is really in our world of peppers.
kinda like the old yellow green and red pepper thing .... what do ya mean there the same pepper!!!!!

Seconded! Most people I have met cannot picture anything hotter than Tabasco, not to mention that it tastes like lava to them and they won't see the point in growing/cooking/eating anything hotter than Tabasco.

Also, terms like the hottest/best/biggest.... sell, no matter if they're true or not. Nobody claims they're product is 2nd best! :)

Ecoseeds is one place that always says the tepin is the hottest and they have their own silly heat scale too. I grew the T+M tepins and they were hot but nowhere near the heat of a decent hab

I grew tepins for several years. They are not the hottest by any measure. Heavy pod producer, decent flavor and heat, but they got to be a pain to pick so many small pods.

Ya, never grow more than 1 tepin (or pequin) or you'll be spending the whole summer picking the bloody things. There is a reason they developed a machine harvestable type:)

haha my tepin have germinated..left them by the boiler took 3 weeks though..thx rainbowberry id forgotten about those lol,there a bit dry,good job i used water retaining compost :oops:

I saw a report about a chili peppers eating contest on TV recently. I think it took place in Chicago, but I'm not sure, may have been CA....

Anyway, they were showing one of the participants and how he prepared himself for the contest. He went to a market and one of the merchants handed him a small piece of a Habanero. According to the report, it is the hottest chili pepper in the world AND the guy had never heard of it, let alone tried it.

He took a small bite of the small piece he got and was gasping for air.

At another stand selling chilis, he bought a bag of Jalapenos, because it turned out it was a Jalapeno eating contest!! The people at the stand told him he was crazy when he said he'd participate.

The task was to eat as many in xx minutes (I forgot the exact time they had). Well, he managed to eat 9 pods in that time, the winner ate about 200 AND he wasn't even the worst of 'em all, the loser ate 2 pods!!!

So much for the public opinion on hot food and it's media coverage!

oH GOSH Potawie..I am growing nearly 50 tepin / pequin types this season! What the H### am I in for except a broken back and carpel tunnel in both my hands? lol.

Chris

POTAWIE said:
Ya, never grow more than 1 tepin (or pequin) or you'll be spending the whole summer picking the bloody things. There is a reason they developed a machine harvestable type:)

cmpman1974 said:
oH GOSH Potawie..I am growing nearly 50 tepin / pequin types this season! What the H### am I in for except a broken back and carpel tunnel in both my hands? lol.

Chris
Keep us updated on your progress, sounds like a great growing experiment.:)

HA! 50 plants! Oh god, you're screwed. Hope you like that pepepr because that'll be all you're eating this year...unless you want me to take those excess peppers of your hands ;)

In LA I had about 6 piquins and every year I would get about three gallon zip lock bags full of dried pods.

My standard super chili hybrid are also bought localy and I think they are a really good pepper for grinding but they also produce 300 plus peppers on a plant so I leave them in 3 gallon pots so I can sit at a table and pick or in front of the tv.
the first year I grew peppers my hab plants did nothing but produce 1 pepper.... I still have it.

Back