• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

THP PC builders Unite!!!

Not sure of the 9 pounder, but mine is hefty.
I am currently a bit restricted on board choices, as I have an Maudio delta 10/10 pro audio recording card that needs a pci slot.

Damned thing is too expensive to replace with a firewire or PCIE.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this new PSU. Realized the old one would be too much of a PITA.
SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

And the Corsair H100 CPU cooler.

A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think it's doing this build right.

What do you all think of the Lian Li "PC-V700X" -- with only 8 expansion slots, at $180 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112367

The newer model "PC-V750B" comes with 10 expansion slots, at $300+ its way too much to pay retail on it now. http://www.lian-li.c...index=66&g=spec
(I'd only go with the newer model without the side window since I dont much care for the aesthetics of the large rail they added, I guess to support extra-depth / long video cards.)

If you can recommend something that's full black, full aluminum, and better bang for the buck, I'm all ears. I do quite like the Corsair Obsidian series, but I prefer to go for an ATX mid-tower that doesn't have so many externally accessible 5.25" bays. Any suggestions on a case? I'll add my pics and show my new build as it comes together.

The Lian Li "PC-V700X" is VERY clean. Like the lines. I'm simple like that. But what most got me was the HDD drive bays. It looks like my Thermaltake BlacX Duet... just slide the drive in to dock it and it's done. I am, however, confused as to where the PSU goes. In the front of the the case at the bottom? How does that work with the cord?

Take that back about the PSU. I think I'm getting their configuration now.

Did a little bit more reading up and pulled the trigger on the Corsair H100 and the Silverstone 850W power supply. Done and done.

I'm thinking of mounting the PSU with the fan side down. The case I have, I think, allows for that. I'd be pulling air from outside the case in this setup [from underneath the case]. And the case has a lint screen that can be cleaned... somewhat like a clothes dryer.

I considered the larger Lian Li case, which is also cheaper. Then I saw how they'd accomodate a Corsair H100 on top -- with a monstrosity of an aftermarket Radiator Expansion Kit. http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/7h-1/7h-1-02.jpg

Great thread here Sum, I haven't had a brand new,out of the box, computer since my first one and it was one that I got as a part of a computer repair course I took back in the early 80's. 8088 based processer, oh yeah :) As a former Geek Squad member I'm constantly given old systems by people that buy new ones. Most of them I go through and do any repairs needed and then pass them to the Foster Agancy that we were part of who pass them along to Foster families that might not have or be able to afford one otherwise. We have currently have 4 towers in the house and 6 laptops out of which the only one I haven't build is my wife's work laptop.

Sum, if storage is your issue have you considered turning your old system into a Server? If your not fluent in Linux, Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008 for Small Business run pretty strong or you could even use Windows Home Server which is based on Server 03 and 08 and can serve for backups and file storage. I found a 4 bay, hot swap capable, drive system that mounted inside my tower for about 60.00 and it's been great. You could even use a KVM so that you can use the same Keyboard, Video and Mouse for both systems.

Just a thought.
RM

Sum, if storage is your issue have you considered turning your old system into a Server? If your not fluent in Linux, Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008 for Small Business run pretty strong or you could even use Windows Home Server which is based on Server 03 and 08 and can serve for backups and file storage. I found a 4 bay, hot swap capable, drive system that mounted inside my tower for about 60.00 and it's been great. You could even use a KVM so that you can use the same Keyboard, Video and Mouse for both systems.

Just a thought.
RM

Openfiler - iSCSI ;)

I considered the larger Lian Li case, which is also cheaper. Then I saw how they'd accomodate a Corsair H100 on top -- with a monstrosity of an aftermarket Radiator Expansion Kit. http://lian-li.com/v...h-1/7h-1-02.jpg

Not very clean lined.

I was looking at this one for a while. I just couldn't get over how "military" it looked. And I can't remember if it only had 7 expansion slots in the back.

clean lines are for architects and other rigid boring people.

go for the geek cred and build your own water cooled system with a heater core from and old volvo.

Back