• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tiger Teeth - Tiger's Tooth...

Hey again, folks. Can anyone tell me something about Tiger's Tooth or Tiger Teeth peppers? I'm not finding much info on 'em, but the local nursery says they're "very hot"...not much help there. What do they look and taste like, and how hot are they as compared to...(?) :)

Thanks, Duane

I've personally never heard of it, the site below places it at 155k on the scovile scale....unfortunately it also states that a mature red scotch bonnet clocks in at 900k...Me thinks a grain of salt is in order hear.

All I've seen about 'em so far, is: "A very hot Habanero elongated type from Guyana growing 2 to 3 inches long by 0.75 to 1 inches wide with medium thick flesh that matures from green to orange to red. (Capsicum chinense)", and this is a picture:

Tiger%20Teeth.jpg

It doesn't tell me how hot, or indicate what they taste like... I guess I need to wait & see.. ;)

Duane

Men, if your nursery calls them very hot then they haven't heard of the "THP"!
We know Hot – Hot – Hot!!
Maybe they have incredible flavor, might be worth a go!

I grew them years ago...heat maybe 7.5 of 10. Picture is accurate. What nursery sells this variety? lol. It isn't any common one I bet.

Chris

Men, if your nursery calls them very hot then they haven't heard of the "THP"!
We know Hot – Hot – Hot!!
Maybe they have incredible flavor, might be worth a go!
I picked up a few Tiger Tooth plants and have them stuck in a couple different yard spots, and one in a pot... I guess I'll find out what they're like in a couple or three months.

I grew them years ago...heat maybe 7.5 of 10. Picture is accurate. What nursery sells this variety? lol. It isn't any common one I bet.

Chris
Sego, in North Hollywood, CA. They had LOTS of the Tiger Tooth, Fatalli, Yellow Trinidad (?), "Trinidad Pot Pod" - I'm guessing it's 7 Pot, Scorpion "Extreme" - as it's labeled, Orange Habanero, Devil's Tongue, Chocolate Naga, and Bhut, along with the more common varieties. I just got something called "Cranberry Red Pepper" from them, and they didn't know anything 'bout that one either - same grower as the hotties.

Sego, in North Hollywood, CA. They had LOTS of the Tiger Tooth, Fatalli, Yellow Trinidad (?), "Trinidad Pot Pod" - I'm guessing it's 7 Pot, Scorpion "Extreme" - as it's labeled, Orange Habanero, Devil's Tongue, Chocolate Naga, and Bhut, along with the more common varieties. I just got something called "Cranberry Red Pepper" from them, and they didn't know anything 'bout that one either - same grower as the hotties.

You lucky dog!!
That's my favorite kind of nursery…too bad they don't exist around here!!
I grew the Scorpions/Bhuts/7 Pods last season and really loved them, but I see another on your list that I really enjoyed as well and that's the Devil's Tongue. For some reason I didn't get many of them to germinate for me this season so I will double my efforts next season!!

If you didn't buy any I recommend that you do!!

They haven't been to open fields have they?? I grew a bunch of GRIN Pimentos De Cherios out one year, one of them (a chinense)
looked exactly like a cranberry, so I was calling them Cranberry peppers since I didn't have a proper name for them, gave quite a few away too if I remember right, if its the same pepper, heat is about the same as a habanero, great fruity smell and flavor, lots of pods on a medium sized plant, size cranberryish.

They haven't been to open fields have they?? I grew a bunch of GRIN Pimentos De Cherios out one year, one of them (a chinense)
looked exactly like a cranberry, so I was calling them Cranberry peppers since I didn't have a proper name for them, gave quite a few away too if I remember right, if its the same pepper, heat is about the same as a habanero, great fruity smell and flavor, lots of pods on a medium sized plant, size cranberryish.
I've no idea where the grower (United Plant Growers - Vista, CA) got the seed, but here's a picture of the "Cranberry" plant:

5728380265_25ee3075c2_z.jpg

Can anyone ID it? The leaves are somewhat long & narrow, and blossom petals open so far, they turn around backwards. The plant doesn't look like most other peppers I've seen.

I'm not so sure that's even a pepper plant. Looks an awful lot like some sort of nightshade. Solanum douglasii maybe?

It might be worth looking into what sort of nightshades are native to the areas around Vista, California. It could be an unwanted guest hiding under a false label.

Woah. I'm sorry I bumped an old thread.

iamnotgoodwithcomputer.jpeg

they are about as hot as a Red Habanero maybe a little more, taste is average as habaneros go, there about like a red hab in flavor too
my friend Ryan is from Guyana and he loves this pepper, i have eaten them and there ok you can do better flavor-wise, there kind rare in this country I DONT HEAR OF TOO MANY WHO GROW IT BUT I HAVE THERE NOT SUPER PROLIFIC AND THEY TAKE ALONG TIME TO MATURE they are eaten daily by people in Guyana, they mix it with "ma" wiri wiri peppers,spices and mango its wonderful!!
most times they do one or the other when it comes to the pepper
the "MA" WIRI WIRI pepper tastes much better than TIGER TEETH
i have seeds for this one
thanks your friend Joe

Back