• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tips for growing Manzanos?

Can anyone give me some pointers on growing Manzanos? I'd really love to try one! I grew them last year. They flowered all season and were beautiful, but didn't set fruit until the very end of the season and never ripened. I didn't treat them any differently than any of my other peppers (one in the ground In full sun and one in a container full sun) but I suppose I need to give them more shade? Any tips or suggestions?

I had the exact same experience last year. Tons of flowers and about 4 I ripe pods by year end. I am trying them again this year, hopefully I have a better result.

Some of it depends on variety. I managed to germinate two of the five pube varieties I wanted to grow last season. One of them was a Peru Bitdumi, chosen because of PepperLovers description saying it's a variety adaptable to many growing conditions. The other was some kind of rocoto - which sucked. It never produced a pod until late september. One pod. Never even go to full size before I chopped up the plant and composted it. 
     The Peru Bitdumi, on the other hand, grew well from the start, got big, flowered early and abundantly and started setting pods about two weeks after my chinenses. I got a decent pile of ripe pods off that plant and will grow it again. Maybe in a container on the east side of my house...  :think:
     The two plants were grown side by side in the same raised bed. It's not exactly scientific, but my experience last season tells me that some pubes are worthless when grown in the inland CONUS, but there are a few that will put up hotter, drier summers.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Some of it depends on variety. I managed to germinate two of the five pube varieties I wanted to grow last season. One of them was a Peru Bitdumi, chosen because of PepperLovers description saying it's a variety adaptable to many growing conditions. The other was some kind of rocoto - which sucked. It never produced a pod until late september. One pod. Never even go to full size before I chopped up the plant and composted it. 
     The Peru Bitdumi, on the other hand, grew well from the start, got big, flowered early and abundantly and started setting pods about two weeks after my chinenses. I got a decent pile of ripe pods off that plant and will grow it again. Maybe in a container on the east side of my house...  :think:
     The two plants were grown side by side in the same raised bed. It's not exactly scientific, but my experience last season tells me that some pubes are worthless when grown in the inland CONUS, but there are a few that will put up hotter, drier summers.
I got the Peru bitdumi from pepperlover and im growing it. Hoping it turns out well. A!so growing a few other pubes even though I had same luck as op. Not one ripe pod on about 3 or 4 plants. Going to put under covered porch that is east facing this year and see what happens.

Start your seeds now, if you haven't already. You will want to put a larger, more developed plant outside once it's the season. Rocoto need a long growing season. I started my rocoto plants for next year last September, plus just germinated a few new to me Pubescens cultivars early January '16. I also saved some rocoto from last year, and they are comfortably in OW status.

Grow more than 1 rocoto plant, use large (5 gallon+) well draining pots, and overlap the branches of your rocoto plants to get more pods. The more rocoto plants you have in one area, the more pods you'll get.

I use tomato cages for my rocoto, which lets them grow more vertically, instead of horizontally. Morning shade is good for them, but they still need plenty of afternoon sun to grow well.

My rocoto plants put out pods in the 90 degree heat of the summer, but get loaded with them in the fall months.

Good luck with your grow!

^ +1. Start very early. I had the same problem in 2014. Started earlier 2015 and got 2-3 ripe Rocoto de Seda.

Edit:  also try to over winter. I am over wintering now one Rocoto de Seda and one Cabe Gendot.

Try Ecuador Hot.
Fast setting and ripening time.
Grows small pods like bunches of grapes but bigger.

I think root space and warm soil in my pots is an issue.
True 20 gal.+ pots will give you a hedge full of pods.
Mine fruit and grow in southern exposure-get sun burned pods...fruit in early spring and fall.
But I have no winter here.
Short season people usually get 2nd season fruit the next spring-not re potted,just overwintered.
As I said I think they NEED root room.Cool roots...

Started my pubes feb 14 last year and had more then I could use. Variety plays a big role, like many have mentioned if your having trouble setting pods get your plants out of the sun and into full shade. White pots help keep root zone stay cooler. San Isidro and rocoto Lima market # 1 set pods for me last year in full sun black pots in the driveway like crazy.

I've got Guatemalan Yellow Manzanos seedlings started.  I think I'll pot them this year so I can play with their location.  I'll look into some of the warm-tolerant varieties mentioned above as well.

My first plants of manzano lasted 3 years before my bugs got them... again they like cooler temp ...that same plant gave me pods all year round the first year. ..

My volunteer. ..

jblo said:
I've got Guatemalan Yellow Manzanos seedlings started.  I think I'll pot them this year so I can play with their location.  I'll look into some of the warm-tolerant varieties mentioned above as well.
I live just south of you in NOVA. You shouldn't have to worry about heat tolerance, they will do just fine in our climate. This plant grew to 7 feet in a 5 gallon pot last year, and gave me more rocoto than I could eat all Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Attachments

• 20150827_185632_001.jpg
    20150827_185632_001.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 41
I'm still trying. Overwintering my plant from last year. I hear they do much better the 2nd year, which is what I'm hoping for. But I will try some of the tips already given here also.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I live just south of you in NOVA. You shouldn't have to worry about heat tolerance, they will do just fine in our climate. This plant grew to 7 feet in a 5 gallon pot last year, and gave me more rocoto than I could eat all Spring, Summer, and Fall.
This is a real tree!
What variety is?

My Rocotos were the last to ripen, but only a few were able to before the weather changed. I ended up bringing many of them indoors (the pods) hoping they would ripen inside off the plant and a few did. Trying again this year.

One thing I noticed is once the cooler weather hit (not cold) they jumped into overdrive, but it was too little too late for my season.

My 3rd year red manzano plant didn't seem to have any issues pumping out pods. I kept the plant in an area that gets maybe 3 to 4 hours of sun a day last year. I've got orange and yellow in the soil this year....hopefully I get something to germinate.

At my old house, I grew Manzano's in Melbourne's hot dry summers in full sun against a steel fence! Hardly ideal.
1st year = no pod set, 2nd year = about 20 pods, 3rd year covered in hundreds of pods.
I would say based on my sample size of 1, that the older the plant, the more tolerant to less than ideal conditions.
One special note: Pods never set in the peak of summer. Early Autumn through to late Spring I had pods galore.
This was a plant grown in a raised bed.

This year I'm growing two Manzanos in pots in partial shade. They are setting pods nicely.

Luke

Back