• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tobasco style Bhut sauce

Made a Bhut tobasco style hot sauce.

2 Bhuts
2 cups white wine vinegar
2 tbls. salt
2 tbls. minced garlic.

let the Bhuts rehydrate for about an hour in the vinegar.
mix everything and let it simmer for about an hour.
put in food process and blend till thoroughly chopped up.
Put in mason jar for a couple of weeks shaking it whenever I open the fridge.

aug001.jpg

The only thing tobasco style about your sauce is the use of a whole lot of vinegar. That is a lot of vinegar anyway you look at it and for just 2 bhut jolokia?!? What you made is hot vinegar not sauce. :stop:

Tabasco's peppers are fermented 3 years and the sauce is made from mash. You did not make anything similar. I agree that's just hot vinegar, and does not look very appealing. Sorry :(

Keep at it. Read some recipes here.

Well, as far as tobasco is concerned I was shooting more for the consistency not the preparation. I haven't strained it yet. And I'm just looking for more of the flavor of the Bhut in this sauce than the heat. At least for starters. :) And yes. So far I do like the taste of it.

That's a weird process, never strained a hot sauce. You'd be taking the pepper out! The reason you only have little bits of pepper is you used two dehydrated bhuts and two cups of vinegar! This is just vinegar with some sediment at the bottom. You need a base for this to emulsify correctly. Right now the vinegar is the base. Peppers should be the base. Even if you want it thin, you need more. Even with an added emulsifier it would still be flavored vinegar with bits of pepper floating in it. If you strain it, like you want, then it would just be flavored vinegar. The reason you want to strain it is because you see those bits of pepper. That's because you need more. Hope this helps.

Back