• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tonys Chillis for 2008

Omri said:
Well that's that. you got yourself some sweet, sweet Caribbean Reds... (unless POTAWIE or someone will pop in and say otherwise).

Well, I think we've established that there is a lot of variance in some peppers, especially habaneros. That being said, I would expect something as tightly controlled as Red Savinas to have more consistency.

:confused::think:

Now im confused. I actually say a pic on wikipedia on the savinia red and it looked exactly the same as mine.

I bought them as red habaneros but not many of the seeds i got turned out right.

I have tasted one and they were hot...... about the same as an orange hab.... but the ones i have burn like bastards.

Arnt the Savini red the chillis they make capcicum spray from?

they sure taste OK :mouthonfire:

cheers

The Savinas are overrated when it comes to their heat IMO, but still hot and flavorful. I've never noticed or heard of them being extra big and the caribbean reds I grew looked nearly identical.
Here's some of my Red Savina pics from 2006

This was only a branch that broke off in the heavy wind

2344719957a51be9ab24pb2.jpg

And here's a nice harvest.

Damn I wish I had wind damage that looked so good Potawie.

I'm just going by what I've read & bought, never grown them myself. I tried from the pods I bought but the didn't sprout. The pods were amazingly hot though. Very sharp heat, not a lot of flavor.

Wow Tony, nice pics....looks like you have the perfect climate for growing chillies....*sigh* now I really can't wait for spring and some warm weather!

I grow the Caribbean and Red Savinas and the only difference I can tell is the Caribbeans when ripe are a tad bit smaller and some don't even turn red when fully ripe. Also, even though scoville ratings differ, I find the Caribbeans are sometimes just as hot and if not hotter and they are definitely tastier.
habs.jpg

An older pic of some Caribbeans. I don't have any close ups of either variety that I can find right now.

Pepp3rFreak, that's exactly what I meant.
Take a look at the picture! Caribbean has a longer, hab-like shape. not the round shape Red Savina has.

I'd guess that they are neither Savinas or Caribbean reds but there is no way to know without a DNA test so just consider them red habs and who cares as long as they are good.

POTAWIE said:
I'd guess that they are neither Savinas or Caribbean reds but there is no way to know without a DNA test so just consider them red habs and who cares as long as they are good.
You're right. just call 'em "Unknown Red Habs", and enjoy them of course. ;)

My thoughts exactly :!:

from the pics, my guess is the savinia red. Thanks for the comparison pics omri. very helpfull. They are very hot but dont have such a strong flavour like a habanero.

EIther way, im happy.

cheers and thanks folks.

PS... Potawie......... Id hate to see what would grow if you and BillyBoy got together.

:hell:

tony05 said:
PS... Potawie......... Id hate to see what would grow if you and BillyBoy got together.

:hell:

Agree on that tony...

I have seedlings of both Red Savina and Carribean Reds that are ready to be planted out....I can't wait to get them side by side and see the difference up close and personal...

By the way, something I have noticed about my Red Savinas is they are a deeper green color than all of my other chinense'

Update time.

It was a beautiful afternoon so i took some pics of my little plants that i plan to keep warm through the winter and have nice and big for next spring.

Trinidad Scorpion

TrinidadScorpion.jpg

7 Pot

7Pot-1.jpg

Devils Tongue

DevilsTongue.jpg

My Bhut Jolikia plants....... look out BB..... they are catching yours fast!

BhutJolokias.jpg

I just potted out my Fatalii, Tabago Seasoning and Hot Lemon Plants today as well. They had to move from the windowcill to the wild one day

thenewbabies.jpg

And while i was there i say how heavy the branches were with Orange habs...... just had to show this little baby off

OrangeHabs.jpg

thanks to Trinnihottie and Stillmanz for seeds too :onfire:

cheers

Getting cool in these parts at night. Not so cold to kill little pepper plants but they forcast 2 deg c tonight so they came inside. I was keeping them in my garage on cool nights but its getting cool in there too.

The 7 Pot has flowers starting on it and i really dont want them to drop because of a few cold nights so they have come inside.

I have an old fish tank thats been empty for 2 years now. I put the little ones in it and turned on the light........ perfect. The bigger plants can go back out during the day for sunshine when i get time in the morning.

cheers

7 Pot flowers growing

7PotFlowers.jpg

Front left: 7 Pot
RIght Rear: Trinidad Scorpion
Front Right: Devil Tongue.

7PotScorpionDT.jpg

Babies in fish tank
Fetalli, Tobago Seasoning and Hot lemon in front. 2 x Bhut Jolokia in the rear.

BabiesintheFishTank.jpg

Back