• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tonys Chillis for 2008

Nice,
Bout time one of you busy Australians posted some of your summer pics. Thanks.
I like the coir chunks media. I was looking all over the net for Goat's Weed seeds when I saw your earlier post, but they are eluding me.

I planted the small plants in these large pots before and they are going great as you can see. I find disturbing the plants changing up pots slows groath..... they take a bit to get started again once you transplant them. Plus i just dont have time to stuff around.

Not sure what Coir Chunks are but the stuff on top of the soil in the pots is just good old horse poo, strait from my parents farm! The plants love it. It supplies constant nutrients and holds moisture in the soil. And its mild enough not to burn the roots ect.

cheers

tony05 said:
Not sure what Coir Chunks are but the stuff on top of the soil in the pots is just good old horse poo, strait from my parents farm! The plants love it. It supplies constant nutrients and holds moisture in the soil. And its mild enough not to burn the roots ect.

cheers
Ooops:doh: my bad. At first I thought it was that stuff you scrape off the bottom of the mower, but that stuff will really burn the plants. Then I thought it was the larger type of coconut media that people buy for orchids.
Now I am even more impressed.:clap:

I have tried mulching with Lucern hay and things like that before but the horse crap is just the best. you have to find the stuff thats dried out a bit. if its too fresh it will burn the plants roots.
Aparently the best stuff is sheep poo. I bought bags of it for my garden when i lived in another town and the gargen went mad. It even comes in ready made pellet form. Whe only thing with the horse poo is you have to break it up. I grew up on a farm so busting up slightly moist poo doesnt worry me. Hell..... i used to come home from school and help kill and butcher sheep for meat in the feeezer in my school uniform before i got in the front gate on my bike. My Mum still luaghs how i would say...... no blood on the school clothes, no blood on the school clothes..... mum will kill me :lol:

here are the plants in the large pots planted in spring. I just put the babbies in these pots and thats where they have lived ever since. I dont have hundreds of plants as these few produce more peppers than i can handle. Red hab on left, Orange Hab in center and Chocolate hab on right.

redorangeanschochab.jpg

I have taken 200+ pods from these three plants and as you can see, they arnt done. Actually we still have a few good months of production ahead here in Australia

I plan to ditch these plants comming into winter and keep the new plants alive through winter so they are already started for next spring.

I Plan on growing :

7 Pot and
Trinidad Scorpion and
Tobago Seasoning (thanks Trini)
Devils Tongue (thanks Mike)
Bhut Jolokia x 2
Fetalii
Hot Lemon
White Bullet Habaneros

Should keem my cheeks smoldering for a while!

Cheers

Ha! Did you take them for a swim after you took the pictures?

All kidding aside, they look really great. I use horse poo, too, when I get it, but I till into the garden rather than leave it on top.

tony05 said:
My mystery red hab type pepper is going great. I dont think its a red hab.... from what ive seen on the net they are more irigular shaped. Im thinking they are savinia red, from whay i could find in pics on the net. Guess i will never really know. cant wait to see how hot they are.

looks like Caribbean Habs to me.
Mine had the yellow veins before turning red like you have in the pics.

yeah ive been thinking that about the red ones. They have a very definate shape and form...... not the usual eratic shape of a habanero.

cheers

Im standing by my original call on them, "Caribbean Red Hots", they taste & smell amazing, I can not grow enough of them:P

The thing is I LOVE Caribbean Red, but the ones I've seen are a bit longer.
Also take a quick look here:
tablend5.jpg

EXACTLY the same...

also what stood out to me was the yellow vaining on the pods.

I have no idea about the savina but my CBHR have the same features.

Look I have not grown Red Savina peppers before, but to me the pictures are the same. also like I mentioned above, the Caribbean I've seen are longer.

I've grown Red Savina's, and mine had more wrinkles then the picture Omri posted.

Tony's peppers look like Caribbean Reds to me.

Pam said:
I've grown Red Savina's, and mine had more wrinkles then the picture Omri posted.

Tony's peppers look like Caribbean Reds to me.
Well that's that. you got yourself some sweet, sweet Caribbean Reds... (unless POTAWIE or someone will pop in and say otherwise).

i scored a bag of them last year. they looked just like Omri's pic but big...maybe half again the size of a lge hab.

If all else fails, you will know for sure when you eat one:mouthonfire:

Back