• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tony's grow log 09/10

Well we will start at the start this year.

I have built a grow box and i cant wait to use it. Im going to get some seed trays tomorrow and will have seeds in by tomorrow night.

I ran the box with lights and fan and got 29 deg air temp in the center of the enclosure.

here is the box closed up

Thebox.jpg

Now as you can see in the above pic...... the room is well lit. As you can see from the exposure of the pic below.... its bright in there. It mad my garage look dark.

inside1.jpg

the lights in the roof

inside2.jpg

And the fan thats pointing at an angle across the enclosure. Its perfect actually. It spreads air evenly but doesnt make a line of wind that i was worried it might. It just moves the air evenly around and will work a treat.

inside4.jpg

Will take pics tomorrow with the seed trays in place.

cheers

Was watering my babies this morning and i have a Nutmex Big Jim hoop :)

A few varieties have shot almost every seed and some are still doing nothing. Its interesting to see how the different plants shoot at different times.

The Tomatoes are getting true leaves now and looking good and healthy. Another week or 2 and i will plant them out. Its warm enough now and the sooner the better i recon.

cheers

Got home from work this arvo and went out to water the weeds. All my praying has payed off.

A Dougelah is born

Douglah.jpg

The Hot Cherry i got seeds for from Trinihottie is looking very healthy

HotCherry.jpg

This pic shows all the hot lemons and the Big jim in front..... it just came up last night

HotLemons.jpg

The Tomatoes are looking great too

RomaTomatoe.jpg

cheers

I love the start of a season.

Got home today to find a Bih Jalokia sprouted. :onfire:

A few of the Fatali's Neil sent me have come up. I have 3 Faria's and about 4 Big Jims now.

The Douglah is going well and some of the early sprouters are getting their true leaves.

Now i just want a White hab, a Scorpion and one of Cappys 7 Pots.

Will go to the local hardware store for a couple Jalapino's. They were great last year and provided dozend of jars of picked Jals.

I ordered a few Thai chilli seeds and some Ancho's from Chilliseedco but no show yet. They usually make it to the border and get confiscated :(

I found a thai birdseye at the supermarget and stuck it in the ground. Will be interesting to see what it turns out like.

The toms are really going strong. They are thickening up and getting good true leaves. They are all a good 8 inches from the light and not leggy at all. Most are under an inch tall. There are plenty of lumens and i think the whole........ they have to be 2 inches from the light, is a load of shit!

Im using 4000K fluros. Not sure of the Red or Blue light ratio of these but the plants are going great.

cheers

Due to the dust storms here today i moved all my plants back into the grow box for protection from the 90km/hr winds. Some of them got a day or 2 outside in the real word.

I have noticed some of the plants i have potted up have their leaves turning yellow. Im not sure what this it from. I feed them plain old water with a few drops of liquid fertaliser a couple times a week.

Douglah:

Douglahpaleleaves.jpg

Here it is next to another Douglas.... same seed stock, same conditions, same water, soil, the works but only one of the 2 has gone yellow.

douglasx2.jpg

My hot lemon has always been a touch yellow in the leaves but it seems to be getting a bit worse.

HotLemonpaleleaves.jpg

Here are all the plants i have potted up and started to harden off.

There are in the mix:

Hot lemon
Douglah
Big Jim
Fatalli
Choc Hab F1
Faria
Hot Cherry

Largerplants.jpg

HEre is the whole grow box. It has been a wonderful thing and i cant wait till next year when i can get them started much earlier.

AllthePlants.jpg

I have started a new tray of seeds as well. They got ordered from the UK when i got back from working in New Guinea and took a while to arive..... but better late than never and better here than in the bin at customs !!!!!

I have in the dirt:

Ancho Poblano (none yet)
Espelette Basque (4 so far)
Maules (1 so far)
Golden Nugget (free seed pack and none yet..... they sound dodgy)
Thai sun (1 so far)
Thai Hot (1 so far)
Thai Super Hot (Excited about these..... 7 out of 8 up)

Newbatch.jpg

Here is a shot of one of my tomatoe plants. Its called Toms Yellow wonder. I got it from a friend here in Aus who got it from someone in the US i think??? Its suposed to grow giant yellow tomatoes thet are great to eat.

TomsYellowWonder.jpg

PS......... none of my other pictures work anymore. I moved all the pictures into albums in photobuchet and all the links broke. Im not going trying to fix them all so we start again.

cheers

looks like you got a good start to the season Tony...good luck my friend...

tony05 said:
I have noticed some of the plants i have potted up have their leaves turning yellow. Im not sure what this it from.

I start my needs in little jiffy pellets, and my most dangerous time is several weeks after I plant into their first cups of soil. At some point the leaves begin to turn yellow and drop off, and I loose plants unless I really baby them. It seems the transition to real soil is difficult for them.

I have never figured out what is going on. I have tried fertilizer, more water, less water, more sun, more shade.

I have several dozen seedlings about a month old that are struggling now, and I have been misting them with organic coffee for the nitrogen, which so far seems to be stabilizing the problem somewhat, but only time will tell.

I too, would like to understand what causes this seedlings yellowing.

I had the same yellowing problem early on and just recently. I figured mine was caused by the potting medium being too alkaline and the plants couldn't use the available nitrogen. Good luck guys.

I am now sprinkling the smallest amount of epsum salt into the water i use to see if this helps also.

They are healthy and growing..... just a dodgy colour.

Any help will we much appreciated

Ooo missed your post patrick

Too alkaline hey

Perhaps a touch of gypsup..... calcuim sulphate to lower the PH and add calcuim salts to the mix???

either that or you are getting the first stages of damping off or other bacteria related condition...add 1 Tbsp H2O2 per gallon of watering and if it is a bacterial problem, it will take care of it...

:caution: using peroxide in your water for your plants also kills beneficial bacteria:

however, I have not had any negative experience with the negative effects...

I have been putting a sprinkle of Epsum salt in the water and a tad more food and they seem to be greening up.

They look quite healthy so im not too woried at this stage.

Moyboy.............. i had another Douglah sprout today while at work so i will save if for you if yours dont end up making it.

Gee i wish one of those Scorpion seeds would pop up. I have moved them and Cappys 7 Pots which also failed closer to the lights to see if they want more heat.

fingers crossed

Update time

All previous pics are lost so will start again.

over wintered 7 Pot
IMG_6008.jpg

Over wintered Devil Tongue
IMG_6009.jpg

My little ones:
Thai sun, Thai Hot, Thai super hot, Espenure espelette jacque custoe? Maules, Golden Nugget, Ancho Pablano, Jalapino/Thai hybrid, Choc Hab F1 Hybrid, Douglah, Faria, Hot Lemon, Hot Cherrr.
IMG_6011.jpg

A douglah:
IMG_6012.jpg

cheers

AlabamaJack said:
Tony...is there a reason for overwintering plants will all the limbs and pods left on them?...reason I ask is that I have only overwintered one plant and that was an Orange Hab (last years big producer)...I cut it back at the first of winter and put it inside my grow box...I suppose I actually grew it thru winter instead of the "normal" overwinter process...

Hey AlabamaJackieChan,

I had cut a number of plants back in early Spring here, when we still had temperatures in single digits (Centigrade of course), but left a few others to organise themselves. Those that I left now have a mass amount of new growth, and beginning to flower, whereas the ones I cut back, a fair majority actually died.

I don't have the room to move anymore than say 4 - 6 plants indoors with adequate lighting, so I generally leave them outside over winter to fend for themselves. I won't be cutting anything back this year, because I found the exposed branches reduced the capability of the plant to survive light frosts.

Try cutting a few back, and leaving some as they are, and see how they go. Be interesting to see how your results stack up.

Noshownate said:
Some nice overwintered plants Tony!

Thanks........ and believe me...... there only just starting!

come march, these things are going to be monsters.

The 7 Pot has hundreds of flowers on it and its only about 1/10th the size it was when i cut it back. God knows how big it will get.

I potted up most of my little plants yesterday. They needed it and should take off now with the mixthure i put them in. I had swarms of flies hanging over the wheel barrow i was mizing the soil in :)

cheers

Back