• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Too close for comfort

My 15 year old son is on a school sponsored trip to D.C. and New York City. He called me this morning about 11:00 D.C. time to tell me he was in the Holocaust Museum. I turn on the news an hour or so later and they're talking about the shooting that went on there. Talk about almost crapping my pants and being seized by fear and dread. You wouldn't believe how fast I called him. He was on the bus headed to New York. He said they were told about it and they left about 30 minutes prior to the shooting.

Thank God.

What the hell is wrong with people? The guy is 88 years old and served in the Navy during WWII. He's a freaking neo-nazi. WTF?

Being a father myself, I can imagine your heart probably felt like it just stopped for awhile there. Thank god is right.

Shot in the head and still alive too - should have dropped an elbow at the back of his neck -- Thank god your son was out of there!!

Holy cow, i heard about that on the news lastnight, and thankfully your son is fine.....talk about someone looking out for them!

So glad that your son is fine and away from there before the shooting. This man evidently has some major problems, hard to imagine anyone that warped.

I'm glad your son is ok as well. It is such a shame that there is this kind of deep-seeded hatred in the world. That maniac should have just killed himself. God bless the security guard (and his family) that died protecting everyone the rest of the staff and tourists at that museum.

patrick said:
My 15 year old son is on a school sponsored trip to D.C. and New York City. He called me this morning about 11:00 D.C. time to tell me he was in the Holocaust Museum. I turn on the news an hour or so later and they're talking about the shooting that went on there. Talk about almost crapping my pants and being seized by fear and dread. You wouldn't believe how fast I called him. He was on the bus headed to New York. He said they were told about it and they left about 30 minutes prior to the shooting.

Thank God.

What the hell is wrong with people? The guy is 88 years old and served in the Navy during WWII. He's a freaking neo-nazi. WTF?

Wow! I've never even heard of this incident. Glad your son is alright Patrick. With no kids of my own so far, I can't imagine the distress one could feel in a situation like that.

Just when you think you've seen or heard it all. I'm assuming they caught this guy since he is 88 and that much is known about him. That or he offed himself and they could ID him.

On a complete side note, there are two Holocaust museums in DC and one is almost right next to the graffiti hall of fame..which is just a series of tunnels covered in graffiti from one end to the other in each tunnel.

chilliman said:
Wow, I am glad that sort of thing is unheard of here....

Not really CM, remember Port Arthur?

Patrick ole mate i know exactly how you would have felt and would not wish that feeling on anyone, i bet you give your son an extra special hug when he gets home.

True, I would not wish exposure to that sort of thing to anyone..
That Port Aurthur incident stopped the country for days....

Glad all is OK :) - and my condolences to the families involved.

Its very good to hear your son is okay, Patrick. If some people in this world would just learn some tolerance and not constantly sweat what everyone else is doing then we wouldn't have this kind of shit happening. Who gives a f**K if this person or that person doesn't think or believe the way you do? As long as their actions aren't causing any sort of harm to others then just leave them alone.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. He gets home tonight, couple of hours from now and I'm fairly certain I'm going to embarrass the hell out of him in front of all his friends with the hugs I've got planned.

it may have embaressed him last night but down the road a few years, he will realize how much he means to you...

ASNF - A Son Never Forgets

Wow. That's amazing. Glad your son wasn't there.
I'm sure he and quite a few of his classmates will realize how lucky they were.

JFYI:

Son of suspect says museum shooting unforgivable
WASHINGTON (AP) — The son of a white supremacist accused of killing a guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum said Monday the shooting was unforgivable and he wished his father had died instead.

Erik von Brunn told ABC's "Good Morning America" that he and his father James didn't like each other. The interview followed ABC's release Sunday of comments by the son that his father had long burdened their family with his white supremacist views and that James should have died in the attack.

"I loved my father. But what he did was unforgivable," Erik von Brunn, 32, said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jz74U5-M7d052GqcbS8hyfPF7GQgD98R4F180

Link has images of both of them and the guard that was killed...sad stuff.

Back