• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

travel Touchdown Atlanta! Finally on vacation!

It was a tough year until now. Moving. Working hard. A lot of new regulations in our sick German health system. And now finally we are on vacation! Yesterday we landed on Heartsfield-Jackson Airport and today we will make our way to my brother in law in northern Alabama.
The dogs stay with a good friend of mine, the house owners take care of the tortoises and a neighbour will water the peppers. So everything has been taken care of. The one sad thing is that I can't control and enjoy the progress of my pepper plants. I hope they'll be ready for a HUGE harvest when we come back in three weeks.

yep enjoy your 3 week vacation in the usa, but if I remember right you've been here before visiting family. nonetheless have fun!

you think not being able to control & enjoy the growth of your chile's for 3 weeks is a bummer, try the whole season like me :(

On sunday we made our way from Atlanta to Birmingham, went north on the I65, crossed the Tennessee river and finally arrived in Lauderdale County at my brother in law's house. Hertz had run out of decent cars in Atlanta so we ended up with a turd: a Volkswagen Routan, in Germany sold as Touran. I would have preferred a Dodge or Chrysler minivan. But that VW takes us from A to B so what the heck... The seats are bad though.
Now I sit here in the public library to get an update about what's happening on THP. Yesterday I cooked some nice poppers for the family. Being a loyal THP member I took pictures of them but have to wait for posting them until my wife has setup the prepaid mobile connection. I'm not allowed to upload pictures here in the library.

chilehunter said:
yep enjoy your 3 week vacation in the usa, but if I remember right you've been here before visiting family. nonetheless have fun!

you think not being able to control & enjoy the growth of your chile's for 3 weeks is a bummer, try the whole season like me :(

Thanx, I will enjoy! And yes, it's my seventh time in the States now. The hole season would be worse but three weeks is bad enough especiallz when harvest is alreadz on the doorsteps... Ooops... it's QWERTY, not QWERTZ here... ;)

chilehunter said:
so what ya gonna do for 3 weeks in alabama ?

It's only two weeks in Bama, the third week will be in Florida. We will visit Tennessee, cook and eat and celebrate a few birthdays with the family, chill out, do some sightseeing, visit the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center as every year, look for peppers, go shopping and whatever comes around. On saturday we will be on the Huntsville dragstrip for some Promod eigth mile action. It will be the first time for my seven years old son. I bought some hearing protectors for him today at Tractor Supply.

Sickmont said:
Cool. Let me know when you arrive in Sarasota.

I will do that! :hell:

Enjoy your stay in Bama, the weather has been very nice lately and cool for August.

Dunno why you didn't fly to B'ham instead of driving from Atlanta?

Silver_Surfer said:
Enjoy your stay in Bama, the weather has been very nice lately and cool for August.

Dunno why you didn't fly to B'ham instead of driving from Atlanta?

Cos we get the best and cheapest connection to Atlanta. There is no direct connection from Frankfurt to Birmingham or Huntsville. We would have to change the plane in Atlanta... And in Atlanta the car rental stations usually have the best variety of cars... ...well, not this year...

In the last few days I collected some produce and stuff on farmer's markets, supermarketss, grocery stores and tomorrow I will cook two batches of hot sauce. One with cayenne, pickled tabasco and carrot as a base. One with peaches and habaneros. I found some Shiner Bock so the ambience and refreshment are set. I'll have to post some pics later but that darn "Virgin Broadband2Go" is as tight as a virgin and slow as a slug so uploading pics would p. me o. ...

Armadillo said:
In the last few days I collected some produce and stuff on farmer's markets, supermarketss, grocery stores and tomorrow I will cook two batches of hot sauce. One with cayenne, pickled tabasco and carrot as a base. One with peaches and habaneros. I found some Shiner Bock so the ambience and refreshment are set. I'll have to post some pics later but that darn "Virgin Broadband2Go" is as tight as a virgin and slow as a slug so uploading pics would p. me o. ...

Sounds like you're having an absolute blast dillo.......

Keep on enjoying the good times mate.

glad you are having fun in the states 'Dillo

enjoy your stay then you can get back home and pick tons of pods...

AlabamaJack said:
glad you are having fun in the states 'Dillo

enjoy your stay then you can get back home and pick tons of pods...

I am absolutely enjoying my stay here with the family.

Today I cooked two batches of hot sauce.
1.) Cayenne and pickled Tabasco bought at a farmers market with carrot, blueberry, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, onions, garlic and ginger. I canned 9 half-pint jars.
2.) Orange Habaneros with peaches bought from a farmer, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, onions, garlic, honey. I canned 12 half-pint jars. I hope my brother in law will sweat a lot!

And I had some very tasty Shiner Bock while cooking. They had it at Publix.

Now finally here are some pics of our trip. I'll start with the Huntsville Dragway.

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8568.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

They even had a Smoker there for catering.

IMG_8588.jpg

Back