• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Tri Tip on the Kettle

JayT said:
Oooh $79 for a tri tip.  Maybe not.
Whoa holy crap. They're really popular around here. Every grocery usually has them. About $6 per pound normally.

Well i sure as hell never paid $79 but they are not cheap when you can find them....that Tri Tip was almost 2 lbs and cost me $27.
As for cooking....I like them grilled direct and I will throw a block of whatever fruit wood I have on the coals for a little added smoke flavor.
Tri Tips are not that common in my area...but we have a new BBQ shop in the area that carry's a few cuts of Prime beef for smokin/grillin......Brisket,Tri Tip and Tomahawk Steaks.

JayT said:
Well, since I have never seen a tri tip here

There's a cut here (the Northeast) called newport steak that is a part of the tri tip. If your butcher is not familiar with tri tip you could ask them to cut you a newport steak from the bottom sirloin.

Off topic a bit, I apologize, but the expensive nature mentioned...  gave rise to a question I thought maybe I would ask here. A couple years ago there opened downtown, a restaurant called Ruth's Chris. Reportedly, they serve some amazing steaks but also I am told it will lighten your wallet something awful. Anybody have experience with this chain?

That chain's been around a long damn time. Surprised you just heard of them. But I actually have no experience eating there.

As far as I know, this is the first one in SC. I almost went to one years ago in DC, but transportation issues prevented it, kinda still want to try it but don't know of anyone firsthand that has been there. Only the stories of how good "somebody that knew somebody who went there" said it was, and is always followed by how "expensive."

I second JayT's sentiment. It is a real nice meal, but expect to spend about 100 a head without alcohol. Unless they charge differently down there than up here. Figure 15-20 for an app, 50+ for a steak, 8-10 per side, tip etc. etc.

WarrantMan said:
As far as I know, this is the first one in SC. I almost went to one years ago in DC, but transportation issues prevented it, kinda still want to try it but don't know of anyone firsthand that has been there. Only the stories of how good "somebody that knew somebody who went there" said it was, and is always followed by how "expensive."
When/if you want to treat yourself...you won't be sorry. I was in Myrtle Beach this past summer and we had a really nice dinner at NY Prime.

They started a TV campaign recently (last few years) I wonder if the quality suffered. Usually big campaigns like that are aimed at the masses, and the masses demand low prices for adequacy. The good places are all word of mouth and buzz.

Okay let's see a steak!

Only place i've been to that makes a steak worth paying a lot for was wildfire and even that was still less than $50 a plate. If i'm going to spend that kind of money i'd rather spend $100 on a nice prime filet loin. 

In NY we have some famous ones, RC really makes no sense here for the expensive night out...

So many good steakhouses in the city.

Are they actually worth the money..no..not even close. Getting that behind us, it is still just a great experience and meal. It gets even better when you throw in a seafood tower too and a full accompaniment of sides.

Back