• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Tri Tip on the Kettle

bpiela said:
Curious where you got that grate for the Kettle.  I don't believe they are standard.

Sorry for the misconception....that's actually on my BGE ...but that is a standard 18 inch cast iron grate that I bought separately  to replace what the egg come with.

Sizzle Lips said:
Fired up the Weber Kettle on Sunday a did a quick Tri-Tip.
Brushed it with evoo and rubbed with Beef Brigade rub.
Grilled it direct turning a couple of times till the Internal temp was around 130.
Let rest on the counter tented in foil 10 minutes,sliced and served with bite sized perogies and slaw.

attachicon.gif
tri1.jpeg

attachicon.gif
tri2.jpeg

attachicon.gif
tri3.jpeg

attachicon.gif
tri4.jpeg

attachicon.gif
tri5.jpeg

attachicon.gif
tri6.jpeg

Sizzle Lips said:

Sorry for the misconception....that's actually on my BGE ...but that is a standard 18 inch cast iron grate that I bought separately  to replace what the egg come with.

Were you just screwing with us to see if anyone noticed?  lol..   Well played Sir!

Asked one of my local butchers if they can get me a tri tip, they said they would try to special order.  I have a couple others to check with, will post if I have any luck.

Special order what? They don't make their own cuts from sides of beef? Tell him to google trip tip and grab a knife!

Oh never mind, it's that "butcher" that butchered your pastrami cutting it with the grain. :lol:

I just picked up two more Tri Tips yesterday.......my BBQ shop has a freezer and keeps the sought after bbq cuts,Brisket,Tri Tip,Beef short ribs and Tomahawk steaks....but he does charge for them...I paid $22 and change for a two pound tip....prime beef.... which I don't mind paying for.....saves me driving all over town to find a butcher around me that actually knows that cut.

Edmick said:
Whoa holy crap. They're really popular around here. Every grocery usually has them. About $6 per pound normally.
Wowsers $6 a lb! I live in long Beach and get mine by the case when we do parties or competitions from the Costco business centers. Usually around 2.99lb.
Send me a pm with your address and I will send you out some of the rub we make and use. You'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Two months later I got a call from the butcher with my tri tip.  They had some cut into "steaks" and then some labeled roasts.  I bought the roast I'll be grilling this weekend!

Back