• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trident's "It's all about the Bonnet" 2015

I am fascinated about the "Scotch Bonnet" Continuing in the same vein as my last season where I managed to grow over thirty varieties I am again keen to promote the "Scotch Bonnet" in all it's varieties and variations ... this season some new specimens to me and some old firm favourites such as SB7J and P. Dreadie ... a big thank you to those on this forum that have helped me in sourcing seed

Elysium Oxide - Mustard (SB Faria x Douglah natural colour variation) - Meatfreak
Elysium Oxide - Rust - Greg PIC1
SB x Trinidad 7pot - Superhot Sim
ScotchBrain F3 (SB Yellow x Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain) - Greg
NeBru7 (Trinidad Yellow x 7 Pot Jonah)
SB7J Grass Hut variation
SB7J Atomic Mushroom variation
SB Atomic - Snagglepuss
NagaBon - Snagglepuss
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Yellow - KD
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Red - Greg
SB Foodarama - Yellow - Superhot Sim
SB Foodarama - Red
SB Jamaican Yellow - Greg
SB Peach - Matthew Arthur
SB Peach Long
SB Bahamas Orange - Superhot Sim
SB Dominican Republic Yellow - Buckeye Pepper Company
SB P. Dreadie
SB Freeport Orange - Meatfreak
SB Chocolate - Jim Duffy
SB Yellow Flats - Matthew Arthur
SB Jamaican Farmers Market
SB Trenton Farmers Market
SB True Form - Alan Boatman
SB Indian Red
SB Aji Jamaiquino - Nicholau
SB Yellow - Reimer Seeds

Every season I challenge myself with a Superhot so this year it's

Borg 9
Borg 9 Chocolate
UBSC - Brown

Ignoring the quote "less is more" I have also invested in many varieties of Jalapeño
Including "Farmers Market Potato, Hercules , Mammoth, Señorita , El Rey, Ciclon " for this seasons UK Forum Chillis Galore Jalapeño challenge all are germinating now

SB seeds and Superhots sown 19th January this is their progress to date

The Superhot's have really taken off ... Borg and UBSC phenomenal growth

Trident chilli said:
I am more than happy to send you any seed that you want ... do you need a permit to send/receive seed
Thanks for the offer, but I am good for this year.  Getting late to start and I think all the varieties I have going are more than enough to keep me busy.  Might take you up on that offer in the fall and see if there is anything you would like to trade for.  Should have quite a bit of new seed end of the season.  As far as the permit goes, apparently it is required to import seeds into the U.S.  Not sure how strictly it is enforced.  I ordered from SLP last year and received my seeds no problem.  I was prepping a list to order from Peter again last fall when he suddenly posted on his front page about peoples orders to the US being confiscated by customs.  I decided to not order at first, then later decided to try to get the permit.  It has been painful and 3 months after the application still no permit, but will keep trying.  

From my understanding the bleeding version of the Borg 9 is not the "true" Borg 9 or at least not the trait the creator was going for. So there are at least two versions of the red. The bleeding and non bleeding. I personally like the bleeding version. The bleeding comes from the 7 pot bubblegum parent. A very awesome not to be named person shared some bleeding Borg 9 with me but not a single seed germ'd. Everything else he sent germ'd and is looking great. Sometimes shit happens. I still check them everyday to see if by some miracle they've popped but no luck and it's been almost two months lol.

The damn Borgs are hard to come by period. At least here in the states. I tried finding regular Borg 9 all summer long with no luck. Found out about the Chocolate Borg a few months ago and actually joined Facebook (something I swore I'd never do lol) just to try and find seeds.

Plants are looking great. Big healthy leaves all around. The M.A. Flats looks amazing. Had never heard of that one before

Tony thank you for this ... I am indebted to those that use the "Silk Road" of Facebook as without them I would never have had the opportunity to get hold of such seed. I find the whole Borg subject fascinating since growing BBG7 a few seasons ago ... I am also not a Facebook follower but through the UK Chilli Forum - Chillis Galore I have been sent seed by those that are. Matthew Arthur Yellow Flats come from a Facebook follower as well .... again my knowledge of him is limited but I believe the Wartynx (not sure if that is the correct spelling) is one of his creations

I will forward seed to you later in the season if you wish

grispa72 said:
Fantastic plants, congratulations!!!

Do you love SB for a specific reason (excusme if you already write, but I cannot read)?

Paolo
Paolo for me personally nothing beats the Scotch Bonnet for taste heat and aroma .... last season I spent hours trying to find every variety of Scotch Bonnet and their hybrids ... close to fifty three but I knew there were more out there ... this season I have continued and I may have to continue next season as more hybrids appear ... last season I was given some MoA Yellow SB seed which came from a forum member here KiNgDeNNiz .. I was more than happy to pay/trade but his ethos was to spread the seed and allow as many people to enjoy ... I will continue to do this if there is any SB you would like PM me at the end of the season

Yep, the Wartryx is another creation of Matthew Arthur. I hadn't heard of him until a few months ago when I found some seeds marked M.A. Wartryx in the seed train I'm running. Looked them up and found his name. He's got a bunch of cool creations. Pixie and Daisy Cutter are two more of his I believe. I've got a few Wartryx going strong and looking forward to trying them.

Do you have these http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51230-sasbe-offer-red-scotch-bonnet-moa-closed/? I've got five of these growing and have eight seeds left over from the giveaway. Not sure if they're the same as the ones you have. Apparently they grew from a yellow M.O.A. SB but came out red. Much hotter than the yellow. I also have some SB sweet that I got from someone in a trade. Don't know too much about them. 

grispa72 said:
Thank you for your reply!
I have never tasted Scotch Bonnet. I have to try it.
In your opinion on what should I start?

Paolo
grispa72 said:
Thank you for your reply!I have never tasted Scotch Bonnet. I have to try it.In your opinion on what should I start? Paolo
Not known one to disappoint ... I will send you a pod later in the season
Scorched said:
Yep, the Wartryx is another creation of Matthew Arthur. I hadn't heard of him until a few months ago when I found some seeds marked M.A. Wartryx in the seed train I'm running. Looked them up and found his name. He's got a bunch of cool creations. Pixie and Daisy Cutter are two more of his I believe. I've got a few Wartryx going strong and looking forward to trying them. Do you have these http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51230-sasbe-offer-red-scotch-bonnet-moa-closed/? I've got five of these growing and have eight seeds left over from the giveaway. Not sure if they're the same as the ones you have. Apparently they grew from a yellow M.O.A. SB but came out red. Much hotter than the yellow. I also have some SB sweet that I got from someone in a trade. Don't know too much about them.
Thanks Tony ... Growing the MoA Red Strain this season ... there is a community glog on this thread for themThought I would leave you with this to wet your appetite

Thanks a lot! I have not special things. If I'll find something related to SB I'll send you too.

P.S. I hope I write in the right way. If not, correct me please. Thankyou

Just now saw your glog. Your plants look amazing! What kind of lighting setup do you have? Also, interesting back story you shared about the (MoA) Scotch Bonnet. I'm growing a couple this year, as well as some Bahamian Goats, which I've heard are similar. Looking forward to trying all of them.

Great project and gorgeous Bonnet plants, John! :dance:
 I can attest to the excellent quality of the P. Dreadie Select, as Erin graciously sent me several of his very best pods a couple years back. As you can see, they were huge. The flavor was unsurpassed and they kicked hard:

dreadie_select-1.jpg

dreadie_select-2.jpg

I was one of the original growers STEVE954 selected to share the first round of MOA Bonnet seeds—the actual seeds from the Jamaican Min of Ag…I believe it was 2012. I'm not sure I did them justice, but they were the tastiest Scotch Bonnets I have ever put in my mouth, and the only one that achieved that perfect balance of sweetness and heat that proper Scotch Bonnets should have:

MOA_2013.jpg

MOA_2013-1.jpg

I have also grown the late Beth Boyd's (peppermania.com) "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet" and her "Foodarama Scotch Bonnet." The former was a great producer and robust plant, but were tricky to get hot pods from. They would gave me mild or totally heatless pods until late in the season, when they would set plenty of big, spicy pods. The Foodarama Bonnet seemed to be an OP mix of two different pod types. One was similar to her Jamaican Bonnet, but the other one was more Congo Pepper shaped, and far hotter than any Bonnet I have had, maybe 500K SHU. I would post photos of those as well, but I've highjacked your thread long enough already. Thanks for indulging me, and thanks for lending your mad skillz to this super-cool grow.

I have often fantasized about growing only one variety, focusing on producing the most excellent fruit possible. It would so cool if several growers would do that, each with a different variety, and then once the pods started to flow we could share them with one another...

Peter S said:
Just now saw your glog. Your plants look amazing! What kind of lighting setup do you have? Also, interesting back story you shared about the (MoA) Scotch Bonnet. I'm growing a couple this year, as well as some Bahamian Goats, which I've heard are similar. Looking forward to trying all of them.
In the larger Growtent I have a CFL cool white 250w bulb for vegetive growth with a Dutch barn style reflector and in the micro tent EnviroGro T5 4x 2ft .... Bahamian Goat great variety and hotter than one might think
windchicken said:
Great project and gorgeous Bonnet plants, John! :dance:
 I can attest to the excellent quality of the P. Dreadie Select, as Erin graciously sent me several of his very best pods a couple years back. As you can see, they were huge. The flavor was unsurpassed and they kicked hard:

dreadie_select-1.jpg

dreadie_select-2.jpg

I was one of the original growers STEVE954 selected to share the first round of MOA Bonnet seeds—the actual seeds from the Jamaican Min of Ag…I believe it was 2012. I'm not sure I did them justice, but they were the tastiest Scotch Bonnets I have ever put in my mouth, and the only one that achieved that perfect balance of sweetness and heat that proper Scotch Bonnets should have:

MOA_2013.jpg

MOA_2013-1.jpg

I have also grown the late Beth Boyd's (peppermania.com) "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet" and her "Foodarama Scotch Bonnet." The former was a great producer and robust plant, but were tricky to get hot pods from. They would gave me mild or totally heatless pods until late in the season, when they would set plenty of big, spicy pods. The Foodarama Bonnet seemed to be an OP mix of two different pod types. One was similar to her Jamaican Bonnet, but the other one was more Congo Pepper shaped, and far hotter than any Bonnet I have had, maybe 500K SHU. I would post photos of those as well, but I've highjacked your thread long enough already. Thanks for indulging me, and thanks for lending your mad skillz to this super-cool grow.

I have often fantasized about growing only one variety, focusing on producing the most excellent fruit possible. It would so cool if several growers would do that, each with a different variety, and then once the pods started to flow we could share them with one another...
Gary thank you so much for the photographs ... great to see/use as a bench mark .... this season I am again growing P Dreadie as this was a really tasty pod although I don't remember them being that spiky ... the pimples/spikes were evident on last seasons "Trenton Farmer's Market" ... hopefully see some more of your pictures

John you have an awesome golg here glad your in Thp lots of great people here.
I have 3 little red moa seedlings I think I have some sb7j generation unknown (I believe with the amount of people growing these out you will eventually have different strains at lest two  I fooled around and my Galapagos habs and sb7js are mixed up think I have little seedlings of both.
I also have the yellow moa version as well as the Bahamian Goats I think there a type of bonnet really .
If possible later this year I wouldn't mind seed of your verities but if you can't I understand me being in the states .
I rambled on enough love your plants they look fantastic ;) 

Your SB collection is just fantastic! I´ve followed your project in UK Chillis Galore forum as you know.
I have a question considering  Faria. How does a genuine Faria look like? Should be the same as Tobago sweet SB.
I have grown past two seasons a chinense as Faria but now I doubt it.

Bluesman said:
Your SB collection is just fantastic! I´ve followed your project in UK Chillis Galore forum as you know.
I have a question considering  Faria. How does a genuine Faria look like? Should be the same as Tobago sweet SB.
I have grown past two seasons a chinense as Faria but now I doubt it.
Rauno this is last season's "Faria" I hope this picture helps

Great looking grow, John!  +1 Gary about the
focus of your grow - an impressive list of bonnets,
for sure.  All the plants look super healthy and robust!

Back