• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa and the better late then never New Zealand Summer

So things have been slow ...I have been slow to get things going with my plants... Summer has officially arrived weather wise in the last week only to officially finish technically in 2 days time ... Its been cool and wet ...

My glasshouse after some wild winds combined with UV damage on old plastic has rendered it useless for now.

I had a few overwinters which I planted out. A few overwinters which are still in little pots which are finally away now. And a few new plants outside as well.

All in all I will be lucky to get any ripe pods this year. (Although plans are afoot for some lights and DWC buckets for an experimental winter grow for this hydroponic vigin [emoji1] )

List of current plants:
Chinense:

7 pot Primo x 2
Douglah 'Alphanerdz'
Bih Jolokia x 2
7 pot Yellow x 2
7 pot White
7 pot Bubblegum
White Fatalii
Yellow Fatalii
Yellow Bhut Jolokia x Fatalii f3
Bahamian Goat
Bhut jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut jolokia peach
Jonahs Yellow Brain
Nebru
My own cross as F3 x2
My own cross as F5 x 4
Scotch Bonnet Choc
Scotch Bonnet TFM
1 unknown I lost the label on

Pubescens:

Aji Oro
Ecuadorian Sweet x 2
Costa Rican Red
Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT (Paul G) x2

Annuums:

Hot Fish pepper
Jalapeño 'cracked'
Albanian Red hot
Cumra Cherry
Pasilo Bajio (spelling?)

Edit: more to come just have to actually see what I have and take some snaps

7ca7aac3161c4828d71394a623243c00.jpg

7pot White pods

b8024d9388caed1b97cb065ed08ff9bc.jpg

740a29179715dd7d915f26d29376412f.jpg

7118fd907bfc958aed0a3b83ea9d5a77.jpg

3d6c43272fac44c68b869a0e5a05a934.jpg

Costa Rican Red pods

0d913996ba01331f676b57e531c54f23.jpg

More Costa Rican red

c695cdba60999d299db9433e0d1c019c.jpg

Ecuadorian sweet pods

5ae14555a0abdb7c98336bde5e76315a.jpg

e41a07fbecd20c989badcf64270f9873.jpg

6b221074992de4d45ad23e39ac02d4d8.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Chocolate pods

Looks like your garden is growing great, Tristen!
Your squash look super  - I have never had luck
growing squash for some reason.

Now for a nice finish to your season so you can
get some ripe pods off this plants!  Good luck
getting a makeshift greenhouse cover for them
to finish off in.

Are you going to try to OW some crosses?

RaelThomas said:
Good to see you have some pods going, Trip. Greenhouse could be the go! How's temps there now?
Cheers bro ... Getting a bit cooler here now ... Biggest challenge is getting extended sunshine ... Days are getting shorter to boot
PaulG said:
Looks like your garden is growing great, Tristen!
Your squash look super  - I have never had luck
growing squash for some reason.

Now for a nice finish to your season so you can
get some ripe pods off this plants!  Good luck
getting a makeshift greenhouse cover for them
to finish off in.

Are you going to try to OW some crosses?
Cheers Paul! I think the best thing for squash is just ridiculous amounts of good balanced compost ... And plant them directly into it.
Yeah will be trying to overwinter the f5s and f3s ... Worked last year without too much hassle ... Will depend how the weather goes ... Last year was quite mild over winter ... Just incredibly wet
Devv said:
Nice Tristen! Very nice!

Plants are lush and loaded down. What are your weather conditions like there?
Cheers Devv!! Yeah fairly loaded on some of them ... A lot haven't set anything don't think it got warm enough for long enough.

a8cc1626f190ed7e1acef5529eeb2329.jpg

b46e39cf2b39d94e95dee629398bb07d.jpg

Forecast for the next wee while ... Not enough sun for any sustained ripening ... [emoji30]

That's like our winter here, unless a front blows in then it can be -2° to 4° for a few days. Now its 12-30°, summer highs of 35-39° . I had to cheat and use a conversion app...LOL

Devv said:
That's like our winter here, unless a front blows in then it can be -2° to 4° for a few days. Now its 12-30°, summer highs of 35-39° . I had to cheat and use a conversion app...LOL
That's OK Devv ... I have to convert all the US growers temps and beer brewing tips using google ... No shame in that ... The only ones I know off hand is 20C = 68f ... And 0C = 32f... Other then that I am completely lost ... We are well into Autumn/fall now ... Its the start of 6 months of wet/cold weather ... I hope its colder and clearer this winter then last ... Last year was mild but verrry wet!

Our Summers days here seldom get above 30C and are more typically 25C getting down to 15-17C at night ....with regular rainfalls every 10 or so days.. The east coast of the North Island stays dryer and gets more consistent 30-35C days all summer

Really hope you get the weather to ripen all those pods naturally, some lovely sized pods Tristan.
Plants look ultra healthy in your climate as well.
Pumpkins look like there been fed steroids lol. Do you make any kind of soup with them ?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

You've got some really nice stuff growing in your garden Tristan! Here's hoping you get enough sun and warmth to finish ripening them. Yuck to flooding... glad you're on higher ground!

Trippa said:
That's OK Devv ... I have to convert all the US growers temps and beer brewing tips using google ... No shame in that ... The only ones I know off hand is 20C = 68f ... And 0C = 32f... Other then that I am completely lost ... We are well into Autumn/fall now ... Its the start of 6 months of wet/cold weather ... I hope its colder and clearer this winter then last ... Last year was mild but verrry wet!  With that awesome greenhouse, you should be able to shrug off the wet weather!   ;) 

Our Summers days here seldom get above 30C and are more typically 25C getting down to 15-17C at night ....with regular rainfalls every 10 or so days.. The east coast of the North Island stays dryer and gets more consistent 30-35C days all summer
Hey, Trippa!  

Another ˚F-˚C conversion:  28C=82F

Generally, to estimate, just double the ˚C and add 32 to get ˚F.  
   30˚C x 2 = 60˚C, add 32 to get 92˚C.  This gives an estimate
   on the high side.

Conversely, subtract 32 from ˚F and halve the remainder to get ˚C.
   100˚F - 32 = 68˚F, multiply by 1/2 to get 34˚C.  This gives an estimate
   on the low side.

For more precise conversion use 9/5 instead of double in the first
example, and 5/9 instead of 1/2 in the second.
   30˚C x 9/5 = 54˚C, add 32 to get 86˚C
   100˚F -32 = 68˚F, multiply by 5/9 to get 37.8˚C.  Basically 38˚C=100˚F

Okay, lecture over   :clap:  :oops:

Have a good week, my friend!

PaulG said:
Hey, Trippa!  

Another ˚F-˚C conversion:  28C=82F

Generally, to estimate, just double the ˚C and add 32 to get ˚F.  
   30˚C x 2 = 60˚C, add 32 to get 92˚C.  This gives an estimate
   on the high side.

Conversely, subtract 32 from ˚F and halve the remainder to get ˚C.
   100˚F - 32 = 68˚F, multiply by 1/2 to get 34˚C.  This gives an estimate
   on the low side.

For more precise conversion use 9/5 instead of double in the first
example, and 5/9 instead of 1/2 in the second.
   30˚C x 9/5 = 54˚C, add 32 to get 86˚C
   100˚F -32 = 68˚F, multiply by 5/9 to get 37.8˚C.  Basically 38˚C=100˚F

Okay, lecture over   :clap:  :oops:

Have a good week, my friend!
Thanks Paul ... Handy to have that knowledge .... Now to retain it!! [emoji6]

The bees were busy in my garden yesterday ... Lots of cross pollination happening among the pubescens judging by the bee activity
1394f29e8076e4d8b0989e9b249a68e3.jpg

Fantastic pic!

And that's just the teacher in Paul ;)  But some really good info! I always struggle with the conversion. I'm not so bad with the metric measurements as I had to deal with that when I was an automotive technician.

Really hope them bad boys ripen up for you, T!

Them Costa Rican Reds and Ecuadorian Sweets look so good, man. Got me thinking... loved the pubes I grew a few years back... the heck haven't I grown any since???

(mental note: grow more pubes! :D)

Pumpkins look good too. Love me a good pumpkin vine! :cool:

The floods... are they the work of ex-tc Debbie? Heard she was on her way over there but stopped tracking her after she left here so wouldn't have a clue if she made it over there or not? Either way, good to hear that you are high (and relatively) dry!

Gotta say, she was a spectacular end to the horrid summer we just had here... perfect almost... well, if you forgot about all the damage she caused, that is.

Trippa said:
Thanks Paul ... Handy to have that knowledge .... Now to retain it!! [emoji6]

The bees were busy in my garden yesterday ... Lots of cross pollination happening among the pubescens judging by the bee activity
Wow, Tristen - that is an awesome bee pic!  Even see
the hind leg dragging over the pollen sacs  :party:

harry said:
I will be interested to know how the Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto fruit is heat wise compared to another Rocoto. Has the temperature remained warm enough for them to fully mature and ripen ?
They haven't ripened yet but have had 6-7 days of sunshine currently (another couple forecast) and another variety I picked off the ground a couple of weeks ago ripened on the chopping board so I wouldn't think they are too far off ... (I am hoping not anyway). Nights have cooled off appreciably down to ~10C at night and only hitting ~20C in the days ... I think I need some mini cloches for the next couple of weeks ... Will I get around to it .??. I hope so ... [emoji6]

Back