• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Trippa said:
Cheers devv ... Yeah I had a blast ... But now i think my liver hates me ;) :D .. Not to mention a severely diminished brain cell count... More neuron connections in new places though no doubt
But that's what vacations are for :party:

Trippa said:
Thanks Paul! Good news brother ... Your package arrived in great shape Tuesday or Wednesday our time (only checked Wednesday) so Monday or Tuesday your time ... Pretty swift for this time of year ... Thanks a bunch ... Will get yours off this weekend... Cheers
Excellent news, Tristen!  I always hold my breath
on the international mailings!  Glad to see you
hanging around the forum again, my friend!

Trippa said:
Thanks sawyer .... Still trucking at the moment ... Will pot up a few and see how they go in the next month or so .... The neem seemed to give them some added health so will hit them again this weekend with a neem seaweed Epsom salt combo for a new year treat
Cheers devv ... Yeah I had a blast ... But now i think my liver hates me ;) :D .. Not to mention a severely diminished brain cell count... More neuron connections in new places though no doubt
Thats one thing I haven't tried yet, epsom salt. I have the neem & bonide for pests & Tiger Bloom for the growing season but haven't tried epsom salt yet. Going to have to look into that because my results were pretty lackluster last season.

Yeah Epsom salts is a good tonic ... Not a cure all but a nice tonic ....
Does anyone want to help me grow out some F2s of my cross preferably in the NH ?? I can send a few seeds of the F1 and F2s ...would have to be willing to isolate some pods and save some F3 seeds for continued selection. I just don't have the space currently to keep 2 generations growing at once (currently growing my F1s which I will post a photo of later in the week)
PM me if you are interested ...I currently only have limited supply for one grower so I may be choosy ...

Don't want to get ahead of myself but my plants are looking like they are bouncing back somewhat ... The repotted ones are really going ahead ... Now to get them healthy enough for some end of February pod setting ...

maximumcapsicum said:
Awesome Trippa. Hoping for the best. Sending good vibes your way!
Cheers bro ... All good thoughts are more then welcome!
Just out of interest does anyone know of a good (ideally reasonably priced) certified organic hydroponic nutrient line?? I have a little project I am looking at doing ... Might not get off the ground but I am doing a little investigation into the possibility ...

Well went and grabbed some quick pictures of my terrible season ... which is slowly coming back to some sort of ok state I suppose... still a long way off where I would normally be

DPP_2028.JPG

3yr old Douglah still in its original 4.5 litre pot ... needs to be potted up and let go .... (I think Root bound plants are actually the reason my season has been so dismal among other reasons of course like mites)

DPP_2032.JPG

DPP_2031.JPG

My Self Sown Aji Lemon from 2 seasons ago which came up last season and survived the neglect long enough for me to start caring for it again and it has turned out to be a very nice addition to my other wise weak garden

DPP_2034.JPG

My Tray of new start that I had put down this season that have fought off wave after wave of pests (mites and Aphids) and have started to come right at the moment (for now) I have lost my hot fish, one rocoto (the other one is barely there) 1 nebru and that is all so far ... the rest have pulled through until now ... you can see die back on some stems from the old growth being killed off 

DPP_2023.JPG

7 pot Primo fighting back from Mites ... 3rd year plant who just hasn't done anything worthy but I feel might just be in need of a bigger house

DPP_2022.JPG

3rd Year Bahamian goat ... another bouncing back from Mites (well they all are) but it has produced some pods at least

DPP_2024.JPG

Fatalii White (Gnslngr) ... almost lost this one to mites ... repotted it and it took off ... but it appears to be suffering again at the moment ... :(

DPP_2026.JPG

TSMB looking like it wants to put out some pods at long last ... 

DPP_2025.JPG

Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion (F4) ... another of the repotted ones which took off after a mite attack ...(you can see the old growth die back in the middle of it)

DPP_2029.JPG

Some Cili Goronong Pods ... the one plant which seems to have kept producing through it all (although not huge amounts) ... however considering its in a 4.5 litre pot in its 2nd season its doing ok ... (another in need of a pot up)

Bump would be appreciated ... I only have 2 more shots of my own cross to post (looks like it is being attacked again by mites after a quick growth spurt)

Spicegeist said:
plants look nice, sorry to hear about your aphid & mite struggles...
Thanks spicegeist ... Yeah plants are looking OK.. the best they have since about November (which isn't saying too much to be honest) .. Its always a mite and aphid struggle here .. This season has just been relentless though for me ... They got to my young plants early and took hold unfortunately ...cheers for stopping by
DPP_2020.JPG

My Own Cross (F1) ... has only set the one pod all season ... but i have my fingers crossed that once it sheds its pest/root bound issues it will produce well ... it is branching nicely

DPP_2019.JPG

Another shot of it ...

Thanks for looking ... hopefully I have some good pod shots around April 

Might go and start some new plants ... I have a feeling I might need some backups (well that is my excuse :D  )

stickman said:
Geez Trippa, it looks like you really got whacked by mites this year... :( Hopefully the wind doesn't get bad enough to be damaging. We're pulling for ya brother.
Cheers Rick ... Yeah pretty smashed by them to be honest ... But it is partially because I didn't give them the love I usually do and they suffered because of it. Hopefully my increased vigilance now and some judicious use of seaweed spray and increased plant pots size/new soil will help...

Plants are coming back nicely Trippa!

I hate Mites! They topped a Red Bhut last year, it never grew from the primary again. However it did branch out and wound up doing well. I did notice they mainly damage the babies. I think as the plants get older they shake off the attack better.

Devv said:
Plants are coming back nicely Trippa!

I hate Mites! They topped a Red Bhut last year, it never grew from the primary again. However it did branch out and wound up doing well. I did notice they mainly damage the babies. I think as the plants get older they shake off the attack better.
Yeah once they strip a branch with there poisons that branch on younger plants just seems to stop. Most of my plants have a dead main branch like that this year ... Oh well shite happens ... Thanks for stopping in Devv!!
maximumcapsicum said:
Sucks about the mites! You're gonna persevere though! Keep on growing strong!!
Thanks maximum!! Yeah I will always persevere ... Growing plants here you have to ... The joy of living in a subtropical climate with no winters ....

Dot Com said:
I must say the color of the leaves look healthy. They aren't all pale/unhealthy. Maybe some will be able to pod-up more beforee the seasons over
Cheers dot com ... Yeah they look healthy enough at present ... Best thing I can do is regular seaweed spray/Epsom salts and soap for softbodied insects with regular weak feedings of good bacteria/fert
I think keeping things in check and increasing plant health is a more viable option then eradication in this climate ...pests are just so fast to regroup here you just end up chasing your tail
I am also aware that I need to increase my plant container size and ensure I have plenty of good organic food and microbes available to them

Back