• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

haha cheers Shane !!  ...  The sprout pics will need to wait until tomorrow  9.24pm at night here and the T5 they are under before pot up tomorrow doesn't really do them justice.  I can tell you they had a nice feed of Mycos, Seaweed, Probiotic (go go juice) and 1/8 dose of Searles 5-in-1 liquid ferts and soaked up some balmy 24 degree C Winter UV rays all day ... fingers crossed but they are looking good (except a couple which are just rying to find their feet) ... also had a new Sprout today of a Periperi version of the South African Reaper ... cheers Lourens!! 

In big need of a catch up of everyones Glogs ... apologies if I haven't got there in a while ... I am trying :oops:

Sounds like things are moving right along Trippa. I'm glad someone has luck with Jiffys, I can't stand them! Lol

Everyone's got so many crazy crosses this year. I think next year I'm going for wilds. Do you cross any strains yourself? I haven't tried yet. I need to do some research as to the best method.

Can't wait to see your garden booming while all of ours are being out to rest.

stc3248 said:
Photo composition looks fine! I can't see a thing behind the awesome food and beer! 

HAHA...you keep hitting the nail on the head! Yesterday just before lunch I split off a couple pieces of a yellow mystery pod thinking it was a Bonnet type and shared it with a coworker...did I mention just before lunch...oh and no Breakfast...oh and the key words to that pod were thinking and mystery!!! NOT a bonnet WOW stomachs were PISSED until we were able to dig up some leftover chips from a BBQ in weeks past. Hey, at least the mystery is narrowed down!!! :rofl:

Nuff story time...now show us them little sprouts!

those were not mystery peppers, but misery peppers

:D

al

Trippa said:
… They are in desperate need of sun and gentle wind everyday now which I can only provide once they are potted up (jiffys tend to get blown about too much if left unattended) …
While I never tried jiffys my egg starters do the same and I agree 200% with your methods … IMO without the wind and outside elements the stalks do not build the strength that they require to hold boat loads of pods, awesome work you do brethren!

Trippa said:
Yeah I am only going for 23-24 litre bags (around 21 85% full) so what's that about 6-7 gallons?? Mainly for space constraints. No I haven't started yet ... They will be going in to small plastics to get established and then in a few weeks straight into grow pots. I have sourced Firestone pond underlaynent with UV stabiliser for $4.35 a lineal metre by 1 metre wide and will be making the basic fold and seal design with no round bottom (thanks coheed :D ) hand stitched with nylon fishing filament instead of dubious glue ingredients.
Every metre will give me two containers exactly hence the reason I went with that size
Very interesting and sounds reasonably priced except the extra work you have to do but it seems you are meticulous and it’s worth the extra effort. The 15+ gallon nursery containers I use cost me $3.00 so you are in cheaper. How long will they last you or is this something you’ll be testing as well?

Funny I do the best pods in bowl ting too but I end up eating them before they get too soft and I hear you on the work endorphins, lol. I carry some powder or pre-chopped pods with me depending on where I’ll be, works great ^_^

Hope you didn’t over do da bourbon ... lol

Even though I just ate a breakfast omelet doused with Shane’s Red Lantern Infused Salt that beautiful Porterhouse you pictured has me hungry starving again, awesome job mon! BTW I love the spiced olive oil with roast potato’s, we do similar. The whole thing looks great and super plating shot!!! Heck it’s Saturday, I could even go for a beer even though it’s 10:00 AM, hahaha.

Super on everything and I’m enjoying the ride at your glog, keep up dis awesome work mon!

Have a great weekend ^_^

Sounds like you had fun, and lots of it!

I use the Jiffy pots, they work for me, once I pot them I leave them "proud" in  the pot until the plant has grown some. I haven't had much luck with bottom watering seedlings so I use a cattle syringe and inject at the bottom of the plug. I feel this helps with dampening. Just my OCD opinion...

I bet that steak was fantastic! It sure looks like it was!

Gonna light the pit here in a few.

Shane, my immediate boss has a book called "Death by Meetings" and he's always stuck in meetings. I took the book and moved it into the forefront of his book case.....he told me his boss came into his office and saw it and just stared at it...but it didn't get the point across, some people just like to hear themselves talk...LOL

3/5King said:
Sounds like things are moving right along Trippa. I'm glad someone has luck with Jiffys, I can't stand them! Lol

Everyone's got so many crazy crosses this year. I think next year I'm going for wilds. Do you cross any strains yourself? I haven't tried yet. I need to do some research as to the best method.

Can't wait to see your garden booming while all of ours are being out to rest.
Cheers king!! Yeah jiffy pellets seem to be quite a dividing topic .. Love or loathe .... I can't stand jiffy pots however the pellets are perfect for my needs.
Yeah seems to be the year of hybrids for sure .... I have my own cross that I am keeping under wraps until I have seeds for f2 or f3 to seeds to distribute if I find it is worth it ... Pics of it above ...

As for my garden booming I hope so but it may well be without the reaper version from Colorado Ronin via kingdenniz ... Have 2 seedlings that's are both showing some bizzare haphazard browning and distortion of leaves ... None of the others are showing these symptoms .... Although the douglah x butch t f3 has some bizzare leaf distortions on all 3 seedlings .... I wonder if it has to do with either fert burn (unlikely as they have had next to none)or some sort of sun scold?? But unlikely as all would be showing similar symptoms I would think?? Any other ideas??
The symptoms do resemble fert burn but I would be astounded if that was the reason...it will mean they are incredibly sensitive varieties if it is ... 1/8th strength organics don't normally do that in my experience?? Even quarter strength shouldnt hurt ...I am perplexed ... Over watering?? Nothing seems to fit ... Will try to get some photos... Walk good and devv ... Response is coming ...

Trippa said:
As for my garden booming I hope so but it may well be without the reaper version from Colorado Ronin via kingdenniz ... Have 2 seedlings that's are both showing some bizzare haphazard browning and distortion of leaves ... None of the others are showing these symptoms .... Although the douglah x butch t f3 has some bizzare leaf distortions on all 3 seedlings .... I wonder if it has to do with either fert burn (unlikely as they have had next to none)or some sort of sun scold?? But unlikely as all would be showing similar symptoms I would think?? Any other ideas??
The symptoms do resemble fert burn but I would be astounded if that was the reason...it will mean they are incredibly sensitive varieties if it is ... 1/8th strength organics don't normally do that in my experience?? Even quarter strength shouldnt hurt ...I am perplexed ... Over watering?? Nothing seems to fit ... Will try to get some photos... Walk good and devv ... Response is coming ...

Distorted leaves could be a genetic hybrid problem, but discoloration sounds like a ph off balance or most likely caused by Organics you used. Seedlings don't need much more than an adequate medium and water until the 2nd or 3rd true leaf sets. Flush with water, in most cases the new growth will be fine. Go easy on the young ones, any bumps in the road can slow all traffic down...

Cheers Greg. You may be onto something with the Genetics of the hybrids causing misshapen leaves ....
You may well be right about the ferts / pH, but I am pretty cautious and it has only effected certain plants and they aren't close to one another. Some have been potted up now so I will how they go. Next ones will be potted up Friday night .... As long as it isn't disease or virus I am quite content to work it through
The others all seem happy and healthy enough so far

Dot Com said:
making the grow list is one of the hardest parts if you're pressed for space or funds for supplies.
Space is my issue ...if I had more space no doubt funds would then become an issue ;) especially for others in the family :ROFL:
WalkGood said:
While I never tried jiffys my egg starters do the same and I agree 200% with your methods IMO without the wind and outside elements the stalks do not build the strength that they require to hold boat loads of pods, awesome work you do brethren!

Very interesting and sounds reasonably priced except the extra work you have to do but it seems you are meticulous and its worth the extra effort. The 15+ gallon nursery containers I use cost me $3.00 so you are in cheaper. How long will they last you or is this something youll be testing as well?

Funny I do the best pods in bowl ting too but I end up eating them before they get too soft and I hear you on the work endorphins, lol. I carry some powder or pre-chopped pods with me depending on where Ill be, works great ^_^

Hope you didnt over do da bourbon ... lol

Even though I just ate a breakfast omelet doused with Shanes Red Lantern Infused Salt that beautiful Porterhouse you pictured has me hungry starving again, awesome job mon! BTW I love the spiced olive oil with roast potatos, we do similar. The whole thing looks great and super plating shot!!! Heck its Saturday, I could even go for a beer even though its 10:00 AM, hahaha.

Super on everything and Im enjoying the ride at your glog, keep up dis awesome work mon!

Have a great weekend ^_^

Cheers for stopping In Ramon!
Because the underlay for the grow pots is UV protected I am hoping they will last at least 2-3 seasons. My 32c buckets have lasted 2 seasons and I doubt they were UV resistant (granted I haven't moved them much at all)
Cheers for all the kind words Ramon ... Love the positive attitude !! Cheers man
Devv I am still getting to answer you ... But need to get up for work .... Will endeavour to respond soon .. Sorry about my slackness

Devv said:
Sounds like you had fun, and lots of it!

I use the Jiffy pots, they work for me, once I pot them I leave them "proud" in  the pot until the plant has grown some. I haven't had much luck with bottom watering seedlings so I use a cattle syringe and inject at the bottom of the plug. I feel this helps with dampening. Just my OCD opinion...

I bet that steak was fantastic! It sure looks like it was!

Gonna light the pit here in a few.

Shane, my immediate boss has a book called "Death by Meetings" and he's always stuck in meetings. I took the book and moved it into the forefront of his book case.....he told me his boss came into his office and saw it and just stared at it...but it didn't get the point across, some people just like to hear themselves talk...LOL
Cheers Dev ... Yeah was a good night for sure .. Went a new route for me drinking wise and hit the Havana white rum .. Went down a treat despite my scepticism when I started!!
The steak was fantastic
Jiffy pellets I like , however jiffy pots I don't very much due to them seeming to either suck all the moisture out of the medium on the sides or if the medium is wet they trap the moisture at their base. I also found they were too thick to allow the roots to grow through them easily. Just my experience
As for the last part are you saying I post to much crap ;)

As for the last part are you saying I post to much crap ;)
LOL, I was commenting about the meetings Shane had mentioned, I should have quoted him...

And I'd like to make a correction, I use the expanding pellets, not the pots...why I call them that I dunno :D

Hope the little guys and gals work through the issues!

Cheers Dev....

Yeah still not 100% certain what has caused the brown splotches or misshapen leaves but what will be will . I have plenty of time to restart seeds if need be.
Funny the worst affected seedling (reaper) where it was brown has now developed a type of pale scabbing on the leaf ... Sunscold???

stc3248 said:
Let's see some pics and maybe we can figure this out! I don't like to hear about sick babies!
Yeah will get some shots this weekend once I have potted up another round of seedlings ... The half dozen I had outside for the past week have been a little battered by a strong cold southerly yesterday which has fried a couple of edges ... Tough loving though and the survivors should be fighters !!

Got some shots I am not entirely happy with and have uploaded them but am coming down with something weird ... Felt fine until around 5
But now have a fever and body aches... And congestion in my chest ... Feel quite bizzare
Wil post a few when I get a chance and feel better

Good to read you enjoyed my birth city rum mon, lolz!

I'm of the belief there's a lot of BS in this world and many who do anything for a buck ... so I say screw the pots, pellets and other gimmicky crap, crack a few eggs, make some omelets, enjoy a Bloody Mary or some Rum and use the egg shells to start some peppers, hahaha!

Only having some fun, to each their own in starting seedlings ...

Trippa said:
Got some shots I am not entirely happy with and have uploaded them but am coming down with something weird ... Felt fine until around 5
But now have a fever and body aches... And congestion in my chest ... Feel quite bizzare
Wil post a few when I get a chance and feel better
Sorry to read you are under the weather, hope you feel better ... maybe a little birth city rum can help ;)

Back