• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

The six stubborn varieties haven't shown their heads yet.
Last year, if I remember correctly, the Tepin 15 took a
long time to germinate.

Yowza! Are you making them sign a release first? :mouthonfire: Now THAT would be Vindaloo...

Also wanted to let you know that your Douglahs broke dormancy today and I planted them in Solo cups. Hopefully I'll have hooks to show by the end of the week or so. Cheers

:D at least one of them is a big chilli fiend so he will be sorted ... I might make some labels for 4 different bowls of sliced Chilli's ... mild , hot, very hot and f&£king hot!! I don't have any average person mild so might have to go and buy some!!

Great news on the douglahs rick!! I was mildly concerned only because I didn't have time to test any of those seeds for germination and I also had a hard time getting any to start with the original seeds I had so wasn't sure. Anyway alls well with the world I can rest easy now ;) :D

The six stubborn varieties haven't shown their heads yet.
Last year, if I remember correctly, the Tepin 15 took a
long time to germinate.

Some of those wild types I have heard can be .mighty stroppy starters Paul ... best of luck with them

Curry Party on Friday night at our house with some friends ... I have got a Douglah pod which will be perfectly ripe by then ... might have to slice it up and offer as a garnish :rofl: should be a good night ;)
Let us know when the video is up :D ... everyting looking great Trippa :)

I really need to visit some other glogs ... I have run out of data until next saturday on my phone so I have to wait for free wifi or being at home to visit glogs ...

Hi Trippa
Thought you'd like to know that 2 of the 5 Douglah seeds you sent me have hooked up... maybe by the end of the week the rest will too.
Thanks guy!

Well its time for another pictorial update. Couple of new varietals (or maybe only 1??) and a couple of nice looking pods as well.

Nothing much is new in my grow world. Mites have made a mini resurgence on a couple of plants ... Fungal Issues have raised their ugly butts as well here and there .... Lime Sulphur is being prepped and loaded into the spray gun for a 21 gun salute tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn to remember the mites that have fallen before and the many thousands who will fall tomorrow ... may they burn in peace.

The Lime Sulphur should also check the minor fungal issues on a couple of plants as well but they aren't a major at this point.

Good news is the weather has cooled nicely and the rain has come which should make for some nice conducive pod setting weather ... well thats the plan!! It would want to as well as I have seen little to no pod setting going on in the past couple of weeks so after the next flush I can't see me getting too many pods again until probably March :mope:

Anyway enough of the bad news and onto the one of the things I am better at then growing chilli's ... photography ....

Keriting.JPG

Kerinting

Naga%2520Morich.JPG

Naga Morich

TSMB%2520or%25207%2520pot%2520of%2520some%2520description%25202.JPG

TSMB (I no longer think so ,,,maybe some sort of 7 pot/pod??)

TSMB%2520or%25207%2520pot%2520of%2520some%2520description.JPG

TSMB (I no longer think so ,,,maybe some sort of 7 pot/pod??)

Nice looking shots Trippa! Hopefully pod production picks up for you as the weather cools. Our days are getting noticeably longer here, so the season's turned another corner. In another 10 weeks or so I'll be planting outside. What's winter like where you are?

Spiky%2520TSMB%2520pod.JPG

TSMB (Spiky but looks more spiky in real life ... couldn't really capture it today ... maybe when its red ripe I may be able to??)

Nice looking shots Trippa! Hopefully pod production picks up for you as the weather cools. Our days are getting noticeably longer here, so the season's turned another corner. In another 10 weeks or so I'll be planting outside. What's winter like where you are?

Thanks Rick!! Yeah hopefully the pods start picking up!! Glad to hear you are heading towards spring Rick ... won't be long until the plants are stretching their roots into the great outdoors!!

The winter where I currently live (you can't call it a winter) is extremely mild even warm ...its usually non-existent but the native Queenslanders will tell you its cold :D
FireShot%2520Screen%2520Capture%2520%2523002%2520-%2520%2527Gold%2520Coast%2520climate%252C%2520averages%2520and%2520extreme%2520weather%2520records%2527%2520-%2520www_weatherzone_com_au_climate_station_jsp_lt%253Dsite%2526lc%253D40764.png

Yearly Average Temps and rainfall for my Suburb

Those are the averages but it is not unusual to have high 20's in August and mid 20's in June and July

Bonda%2520Ma%2520Jacques%2520picture%2520perfect%2520pod.JPG

Bonda Ma Jacques

Ah, so it gets cooler and a bit dryer for you, eh? I see in July you have an average low of a bit under 12 C, how much variation could you see in that?
Will Tropical Cyclone Garry pass anywhere near you? Hopefully you won't be having any problems from the storm.

2%2520Toned%2520Douglah.JPG

Look at this Freak of a Douglah "Alphanerdz" .... the extremely bumpy area has stayed completely green ... with the rest ripening as usual ... I wonder how long it will stay like this??

Ah, so it gets cooler and a bit dryer for you, eh? I see in July you have an average low of a bit under 12 C, how much variation could you see in that?
Will Tropical Cyclone Garry pass anywhere near you? Hopefully you won't be having any problems from the storm.

Yeah The cyclone remnants are now tracking down towards us and there are warnings of flooding and heavy rain in place and strong winds. The rain has already started but I don't think we will get it as bad as Brisbane or the Sunshine coast though I think it will just be perfect DVD watching weather and pot up weather on my balcony ...

As for the variations ... here are the monthly records to show the spread of average temp and rain. As you can see it doesn't get too much cooler. Yeah always much drier for us in Winter

FireShot%2520Screen%2520Capture%2520%2523003%2520-%2520%2527Gold%2520Coast%2520climate%252C%2520averages%2520and%2520extreme%2520weather%2520records%2527%2520-%2520www_weatherzone_com_au_climate_station_jsp_lt%253Dsite%2526lc%253D40764.png

and here are the record daily temperatures and rainfall

FireShot%2520Screen%2520Capture%2520%2523004%2520-%2520%2527Gold%2520Coast%2520climate%252C%2520averages%2520and%2520extreme%2520weather%2520records%2527%2520-%2520www_weatherzone_com_au_climate_station_jsp_lt%253Dsite%2526lc%253D40764.png

Bumpity%2520Bhut%2520goodness%25202.JPG

Bhut Jolokia "Assam"

Apologies for the obsession in the next few shots with my Douglah "Alphanerdz" ... :D

Douglah%2520Alphanerdz%2520pods%2520together%2520a%2520hot%2520pair%2520they%2520make.JPG

Douglah - Twin Heats

Douglah%2520Alphanerdz%2520pod%2520Pain-%2520maybe.JPG

Looking all bumpy and delicious

Sacrificial%2520Douglah%2520for%2520the%2520chilli%2520gods.JPG

An offering of heat to the celestial dome

Sacrificial%2520Douglah%2520for%2520the%2520chilli%2520gods%25202.JPG

The hottest of the lot (Out of all my current chilli's) being held aloft

Yup, definitely looking forward to growing out the Douglah seeds I got from you! 4 out of 5 seeds sprouted. I'll keep 2, and I need to find homes for the other 2.

The winter where I currently live (you can't call it a winter) is extremely mild even warm ...its usually non-existent but the native Queenslanders will tell you its cold :D

What now? I'm a native and I'm the first to say how nice winter is here. ;)

Yeah The cyclone remnants are now tracking down towards us and there are warnings of flooding and heavy rain in place and strong winds. The rain has already started but I don't think we will get it as bad as Brisbane or the Sunshine coast though

Nah, Garry's out heading for the Cook Islands, I think. We are getting ex TC Oswald here.

I think it will just be perfect DVD watching weather and pot up weather on my balcony ...

FTFY. :high:

Yup, definitely looking forward to growing out the Douglah seeds I got from you! 4 out of 5 seeds sprouted. I'll keep 2, and I need to find homes for the other 2.

Yeah they are great looking and fearsomely hot Rick!! Not much needed to warm the cockles of your heart I assure you ;)

What now? I'm a native and I'm the first to say how nice winter is here. ;)
Yeah you are one of the rarities Gassy!! :)

Nah, Garry's out heading for the Cook Islands, I think. We are getting ex TC Oswald here.
Ahhh ...whoops Gary... Oswald ... both guys names ... my mistake ... there you go stickman ... Tropical Cyclone Oswald is the one that will put us through a mini mix!!

FTFY. :high: :rofl:

Mini%2520Harvest.JPG

Last Picture of the day for now ... a picture of my mini harvest (Thats all I get at the moment so this is relatively speaking a normal harvest :( )

Thanks for stopping in to take a look everyone ... much appreciated !!!

Back