• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

Great photo display once again.
I, too am becoming very fond of the Bahamian Goat. I'm growing a select number of plants of that in 2013 strictly for hot sauce. The raw taste of the pepper is unbelievably unique!

Looking great, Trippa. Love the beer/champagne shots. Pods are coming along nicely.

You know, I have seeds for the Bahamian Goat. I've been trying to avoid sowing more, but I might just have to grow that one out. Still plenty of time here for the 2013 season.

Got a nice envelope from Trippa. He was going to send me some Scotch
Bonnet seeds, and threw in some surprises along with them. This group would
make a great grow all by themselves:
DSCN5051a.jpg

Thanks, my friend! Some of these will be going into the germination chamber
for sure! It's cool to see pics of some of the plants the seeds came from. Tripp
even sent me photos of the exact pods some of them came from! How cool is that?
The Orange Rocoto seeds will be on the way soon, buddy!

Great photo display once again.
I, too am becoming very fond of the Bahamian Goat. I'm growing a select number of plants of that in 2013 strictly for hot sauce. The raw taste of the pepper is unbelievably unique!
Thanks Greg! Yeah its an amazing pod and plant and a good portion of people who grow it consider it among there favourites. Yum a Bahamian goat pepper sauce sounds great!!

Looking great, Trippa. Love the beer/champagne shots. Pods are coming along nicely.

You know, I have seeds for the Bahamian Goat. I've been trying to avoid sowing more, but I might just have to grow that one out. Still plenty of time here for the 2013 season.

Thanks docnrock ... well I don't think you should think about it any longer ... just do it!!

Got a nice envelope from Trippa. He was going to send me some Scotch
Bonnet seeds, and threw in some surprises along with them. This group would
make a great grow all by themselves:
DSCN5051a.jpg

Thanks, my friend! Some of these will be going into the germination chamber
for sure! It's cool to see pics of some of the plants the seeds came from. Tripp
even sent me photos of the exact pods some of them came from! How cool is that?
The Orange Rocoto seeds will be on the way soon, buddy!

Thanks for stopping in Paul ... no worries with the seeds ... hopefully you can get some healthy productive plants out of that selection at some stage. Its just a buzz to think those seeds from those pods might be producing a new plant half way around the world!! Enjoy !!

22 degrees C here at the moment (9.20pm) with 99% humidity after a storm just went through ...yuck. the air is thick .... then meant to hit 36 degrees tomorrow. Not as bad as gas who is meant to get a 40 degree C day ...

22 degrees C here at the moment (9.20pm) with 99% humidity after a storm just went through ...yuck. the air is thick .... then meant to hit 36 degrees tomorrow. Not as bad as gas who is meant to get a 40 degree C day ...

Nope, only an expected 36 here in Logan too. :D But of course, I work in Brissy, don't I? haha

Funny, I haven't been feeling the humidity lately and right now it's supposed to be 90% here. Usually I'm the first to complain about humidity. Even been sleeping alright... which is just so not normal for me under these conditions! :crazy:

Hey Trippa, just stopped by to say Hi and see how the battle of the
pests is going. Sounds like a real heat wave there. Yuk. I'll take
the cool weather anytime!

Hey Trippa, just stopped by to say Hi and see how the battle of the
pests is going. Sounds like a real heat wave there. Yuk. I'll take
the cool weather anytime!
Hey Paul ... thanks for stopping in.
Thankfully the hottest weather has abated for now and we are only getting up to 27-29 degrees C but the night temps are still quite high as well so sleep is a zero blanket job usually.
Pests still troubling me a little but I am not sweating it as they do seem to have bounced bounced back somewhat over the past few weeks since I started regular Epsom salts spray. now that the weather has cooled I will be hitting them with some lime-sulphur ASAP. Plenty of flowers about so hopefully I will get a few more pods as well

I have been getting a handful of ripe pods every couple of days up until a week ago and they all seem now to be in a flower/reveg/recover mode but it looks like there are plenty of pods getting set ...

Well my plants at this stage seem to be recovering quite well from a month or so ago and I put some of it down to regular feedings of Magnesium Sulphate (aka Epsom Salts) which I believe (contrary to much popular science) has contributed to much more vigorous and overall healthy plants all round. It certainly seems to be helping with pest control (the added sulphur I believe is at work here). Anyway flowers galore at the moment and some of my plants (such as the Bahamian Goat Pepper plant) are starting to get a few more pods on them now. Unfortunately it seems that next week we are going to be getting temps over 30-32 Degrees C next week so hopefully I don't get too much flower drop because of it.

Anyway on with the photos... not too much exciting but its easier then writing so here you go

Aji%2520Lemon%2520Self%2520Seeded.JPG

Aji Lemon (this plant has self seeded in amongst my Mint Plants) its only tiny with 1 pod. Must be a sign to keep the seeds !!

Bahamian%2520Goat%2520Pepper%2520looking%2520gnarly.JPG

Gnarly Bahamian Goat Pepper

Bahamian%2520Goat%2520Peppers%2520going%2520off.JPG

Bahamian Goat Peppers ... there are 6 just in this photos and they are all good size. This plant has probably got 20-30 pods on it and is only around 50cm high and doesn't seem to be bothered by pests. It has great genetics!!

Bit%2520of%2520a%2520different%2520looking%2520Bonda%2520Ma%2520Jacques.JPG

Bonda Ma Jacques (looking a little weird for my typical Bonda Pods ... more gnarly??)

seedlings%2520and%2520bonchi.JPG

Newest Seedlings and Bonchi Plants

Trinidad%2520Seasoning.JPG

Trinidad Seasoning

Cili%2520Goronong%25201.JPG

Cili Goronong (apologies in advance for the repetition of the same species in the next few shots but the pods are just so cool plus I had to post 2 of them just for Gas and his obsession with faces in his pods)

Cili%2520Goronong%25202.JPG

Cili Goronong

Cili%2520Goronong%25203%2520Face%2520better.JPG

Cili Goronong (Face no. 1 almost looks like the Goblin King off the hobbit movie :D )

Cili%2520Goronong%25204%2520Face.JPG

Cili Goronong (Face No.2 if you can see it)

More pics to come ....if anyone wants to see them..

Bump for some more awesome pod shots
The plants look great love the stem on your bonchi plants what year are those plants

Cheers Bro

Those plants were started in June 2011 so 1.5 years old roughly ... I lost my choc Hab bonchi plant by over vigorous trimming of it after a pest attack which I am more then a little disappointed about but ahh well I have two great varieties left in a Scotch Bonnet TFM and Choc Bhut Jolokia so hopefully they give off a few mini hot pods this year at some stage

Nice variety of pods.

Cheers Harry and thanks for stopping in!

Jungle%2520Rains%2520Mystery%2520Super%2520Hot%2520%25232%2520solo.JPG

Mystery Superhot #2 from JR (Suspected TSMB??)

Jungle%2520Rains%2520Mystery%2520Super%2520Hot%2520%25232.JPG

Mystery Superhot #2 from JR again (Suspected TSMB??)

Superhots%2520all%2520in%2520focus%25202.JPG
T
Two Bhut Jolokia Assam flanking a single Mystery Superhot from Jungle Rain (possible TSMB??)

Superhots%2520Mystery%2520focus.JPG

4 hot chillis .... 1 Mystery Superhot from JR, 2 Bhut Jolokia "Assam" and 1 Bonda Ma Jacque

Chillis%2520yes%2520chillis.JPG

Some Hot Chillis including Kerinting, Bonda Ma Jacques, Bhut Jolokia Assam, Jungle Rain MYstery Superhot #1 (suspected Morouga) and Jungle Rain Mystery Superhot #2 (Suspsected TSMB)

Chillis%2520yes%2520chillis%25202.JPG

Some Hot Chillis again including Kerinting, Bonda Ma Jacques, Bhut Jolokia Assam, Jungle Rain MYstery Superhot #1 (suspected Morouga) and Jungle Rain Mystery Superhot #2 (Suspsected TSMB)

Bhut%2520Jolokia%2520%2520-%2520Assam.JPG

2 x Bhut Jolokia "Assam" Pods ... one of my all time all round favourites both for Gnarly looks and great taste and heat

Amazing pod shots ever Trippa... Keep em rollin... Best of luck on your grow out there, by what ive seen its going great so far...

Amazing pod shots ever Trippa... Keep em rollin... Best of luck on your grow out there, by what ive seen its going great so far...
Cheers portage. Much appreciated. Yeah its going OK at the moment. I am in desperate need of another round of potting up most of my plants to bigger containers though. Might be a good Christmas break activity I think

I hear ya there, I grew in 5gal buckets this year and they out grew them in no time... If i go that route again ive been thinking that 15gal pots would the next best choice... I've made some preparations to several beds by clearing out weeds and laying down some compost... so we'll see how next season comes out...

I hear ya there, I grew in 5gal buckets this year and they out grew them in no time... If i go that route again ive been thinking that 15gal pots would the next best choice... I've made some preparations to several beds by clearing out weeds and laying down some compost... so we'll see how next season comes out...
Yeah I am no where near even 5 gallon containers yet. Some of my plants are still only in 1.5 litre containers!! They will take off though once potted up. I always tend to let them truly outgrow there pots before potting them on. That way I know they will utilise the added root space immediately. Actually thinking (because of my limited space) of rigging up a small NFT organic hydro unit next season. Just an idea at this stage though

Back