• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo2021

I wanted to get these photos of some peppers Ive got growing inside posted and figured I'd include them in my 2021 grow log since they are gonna be around for awhile.  These are three of the Scarlett's Chilli X Poblano.  I liked the taste of the F1's and I interested to see what becomes of the F2's.  I got the F1 seeds from PollenNut and posted those photo's in his original topic here:http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73286-f1bc1-free-seed-being-offered/page-8#entry1705015
I started the three of these at the end of October.  Wish I could have started more since these are the F2's but I'm limited on space inside.  (Reserving space for the seed starts of my main grow)

Here are a couple of shots of two of them in the Grodan cubes.  Two of them germinated in about 2 weeks.  There is a seed in the middle that hasn't popped yet but after ~4weeks it did sprout.

SxP new.jpeg

I took this pic about 9pm showing how the leaves curl up after being under the lights for 16 hours.  I noticed this last year with my seed starts.  First thing in the morning the leaves are in the normal position and stay that way all day.  I figure that they are done with the light for the day and "raise" their leaves to limit exposure?

SxP start.jpeg

The next pics are after I up potted them.  The late arrival went into a solo cup and the first ones got larger digs for now.
The late arrival
Late.jpeg

And the first sprouts.  I included both pics even though they look about the same.

Potup.jpeg

Potup2.jpeg

And todays pics.  The late arrival is showing one leaf that looks "different".  It looks like it is variegated.  Or maybe something wrong.  Hard to tell for sure right now but maybe in another week or two it will be more evident.

Latevar?.jpeg

The first sprouts.  Growing nicely.

SxP12:17.jpeg

SxP12:17:20.jpeg

That's it for now.  I'm still deciding on what to grow this coming season.  I have a list going that is ever changing.  Some of my picks are definates and others get added and taken away.  There's still time to decide though.  I've been pretty busy trying to update my other hobby which is beekeeping.  This year I am going to start using smaller hive boxes so Ive been busy building new ones!  It's supposed to be cheaper than buying them pre made but WOW!  Lumber prices have almost quadrupled this year.  The price we pay for hobbies!

Take care

Thanks Paul.  I really like using rockwool.  At least I have good luck with it.  Plus it seems like I have fewer helmet heads with the rockwool.  
But as you can tell from an earlier pic, I don't have anything against using 'dirt'! ;)

Tybo said:
Thanks Paul.  I really like using rockwool.  At least I have good luck with it.  Plus it seems like I have fewer helmet heads with the rockwool.  
But as you can tell from an earlier pic, I don't have anything against using 'dirt'! ;)
Yup, quick and easy. Soak and go. Once germinated,
I found General Hydroponic's Rapid Start gave the
seedlings a great start.

Good to see some hooks Tybo.

Rockwool is the bomb for germinating - hope you like the naked cubes!

Any signs of life from the TX Tepin? Mine haven't popped out yet...  :confused:

HeatMiser said:
Good to see some hooks Tybo.

Rockwool is the bomb for germinating - hope you like the naked cubes!

Any signs of life from the TX Tepin? Mine haven't popped out yet...  :confused:

Hey HM!  Yeah, always glad to see hooks.  I think the 'naked' rockwool will work out just fine.  Especially being in the grosmart tray.  They fit snugly so its almost like having the wrap!  ;)

No I haven't seen anything out of the Texas tepin yet.  Do you remember how long it took for yours to pop?  

The Tx Tepin seed from Crafty Fox on the Seed Train
took eleven days to germinate. Plant did very well here
in our climate, first annuum v Glabriusculum to ripen
up pods.

PaulG said:
The Tx Tepin seed from Crafty Fox on the Seed Train
took eleven days to germinate. Plant did very well here
in our climate, first annuum v Glabriusculum to ripen
up pods.

Well, I started them on 1/15 so I'm past 11 days so I'll be keep an eye on them for hooks any day now.  Thanks Paul.

Tybo said:

Well, I started them on 1/15 so I'm past 11 days so I'll be keep an eye on them for hooks any day now.  Thanks Paul.
That was the first seed, then three more followed
at various intervals.

Tybo said:

Hey HM!  Yeah, always glad to see hooks.  I think the 'naked' rockwool will work out just fine.  Especially being in the grosmart tray.  They fit snugly so its almost like having the wrap!  ;)

No I haven't seen anything out of the Texas tepin yet.  Do you remember how long it took for yours to pop?  

They were all over the place tbh. The first one germinated roughly a week after being planted, and some more after a couple of weeks. 

I planted a few more for this year's grow, and have only gotten one to germinate, but unfortunately it didn't have any cotyledons, so that was a bust. I'm still waiting for one of them to germinate at least, but there just aren't any signs of life at this point. I already have enough plants to keep me busy so I'm not sure I'll be able to plant some more....

If you are having trouble, I can send some more seeds your way. Hopefully you'll have better luck - this is a variety that I've been wanting to grow for a long time, and I got really close to getting fruit last year before the broad mites crashed the party.

Glad to see some heads popping up there ..ah an the galap too...yippy.

I always thought the Madame Jeanette sounds like an interesting pepper I believe it's from Suriname also that Moz Peri Peri.
I wonder if that's the one in the sauce that's so popular...Nando's peri peri......con't success with the germination process.

I am yet to sow my seeds except the Tovarii those been cooking for a few wks...just been a bit "WEARY" these days. :P

nandos_peri_peri.jpg

wiriwiri said:
Glad to see some heads popping up there ..ah an the galap too...yippy.

I always thought the Madame Jeanette sounds like an interesting pepper I believe it's from Suriname also that Moz Peri Peri.
I wonder if that's the one in the sauce that's so popular...Nando's peri peri......con't success with the germination process.

I am yet to sow my seeds except the Tovarii those been cooking for a few wks...just been a bit "WEARY" these days. :P

nandos_peri_peri.jpg

Thanks for stopping by Wiri.  I've read a couple of different opinions about the Madame Jeanette pepper.  Some have said that it is mostly heat without flavor and then there is the opinions that it has great taste.  So............I decided to grow it out and see for myself.  I'll keep everyone posted.
Germination is going good so far.  Glad to see the galapagoense germinated myself since I killed last years plant by cutting it back too much.  I had that seed left over from last year from some that CD sent.  (Good seeds)  Nothing out of the Tovarii here either.  Those, the Texas Tepin and the Tepin Cappuccino have yet to show themselves.  The Blue Mystery that you sent has popped.  Now to watch it grow to see what mysteries it has to offer! :party:
I don't know about the Moz Piri Piri chili's.  I know there is an African Devil Piri Piri.  Not sure which one is in that sauce.  I got these seeds from ChiliChump.  Here is one of his videos about this chili if you have time and get over the weariness!
Looking forward to your 2021 grow.

Tybo said:

Thanks for stopping by Wiri.  I've read a couple of different opinions about the Madame Jeanette pepper.  Some have said that it is mostly heat without flavor and then there is the opinions that it has great taste.  So............I decided to grow it out and see for myself.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Climate and growing conditions also influence the flavour. Some of the peppers I grow in MX taste different from the ones I grew in Europe, even though the varieties are the same. In my opinion, your decision is the best: grow it out and see it for yourself :)

Looks like another getting ready to emerge next to it!
3/4 in that cell! Awesome.

Time for a little update this week.
I'm still waiting on the wilds.  Texas Tepin, Tepin Cappuccino, Tovarii are in the background and the fairly recent plantings of the Lanceolatum and Rhombodium in the front.  The Datils haven't shown up yet either.  Starting to worry a little about them.  The no shows for the wilds are expected.
wRsIBeN.jpg

Two Aji Panca are just barely starting to break through from the rockwool.
dTqzRV9.jpg

Started four lemon starrburst for a guy I know and all four came up!
KmdVSNr.jpg

This G2 Papa Dreadie didnt waste any time.  Started it on the 8th of February and it's up already!  The G3 seeds were started on the same day but haven't shown theirselves yet.
WyhRYQu.jpg

I've already moved some of the rockwool starts to solo cups.
OuXQnvB.jpg

Habaneros from the Chili Pepper Institute are almost 100% germination.  The others are from Super Hot Chilis.  Hopefully they are just slow.  I'm starting extra of these to give to the same guy that's getting the lemon starbursts.  Also, very few Bahamian Goats have sprouted so far.  I'm looking forward to trying them.
jCeAqJt.jpg

Last pic for now is the 4 cotyledon Rocoto Montufar.  No true leaves yet but hey, with 4 cotys maybe it don't need them so soon. ;)
4J6oHEl.jpg

Tybo said:
Last pic for now is the 4 cotyledon Rocoto Montufar.  No true leaves yet but hey, with 4 cotys maybe it don't need them so soon. ;)
Did I miss sumtin'?  :)

later: Okay, Ty,  the Montufar Quattro looks
         pretty healthy. Will be interesting to see
         how it grows out.

Good looking starts in the rockwool!

Back