• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo2021

I wanted to get these photos of some peppers Ive got growing inside posted and figured I'd include them in my 2021 grow log since they are gonna be around for awhile.  These are three of the Scarlett's Chilli X Poblano.  I liked the taste of the F1's and I interested to see what becomes of the F2's.  I got the F1 seeds from PollenNut and posted those photo's in his original topic here:http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73286-f1bc1-free-seed-being-offered/page-8#entry1705015
I started the three of these at the end of October.  Wish I could have started more since these are the F2's but I'm limited on space inside.  (Reserving space for the seed starts of my main grow)

Here are a couple of shots of two of them in the Grodan cubes.  Two of them germinated in about 2 weeks.  There is a seed in the middle that hasn't popped yet but after ~4weeks it did sprout.

SxP new.jpeg

I took this pic about 9pm showing how the leaves curl up after being under the lights for 16 hours.  I noticed this last year with my seed starts.  First thing in the morning the leaves are in the normal position and stay that way all day.  I figure that they are done with the light for the day and "raise" their leaves to limit exposure?

SxP start.jpeg

The next pics are after I up potted them.  The late arrival went into a solo cup and the first ones got larger digs for now.
The late arrival
Late.jpeg

And the first sprouts.  I included both pics even though they look about the same.

Potup.jpeg

Potup2.jpeg

And todays pics.  The late arrival is showing one leaf that looks "different".  It looks like it is variegated.  Or maybe something wrong.  Hard to tell for sure right now but maybe in another week or two it will be more evident.

Latevar?.jpeg

The first sprouts.  Growing nicely.

SxP12:17.jpeg

SxP12:17:20.jpeg

That's it for now.  I'm still deciding on what to grow this coming season.  I have a list going that is ever changing.  Some of my picks are definates and others get added and taken away.  There's still time to decide though.  I've been pretty busy trying to update my other hobby which is beekeeping.  This year I am going to start using smaller hive boxes so Ive been busy building new ones!  It's supposed to be cheaper than buying them pre made but WOW!  Lumber prices have almost quadrupled this year.  The price we pay for hobbies!

Take care

Could it be light burn of sorts? I had a similar issue that I couldn't figure out. Thought it was a pH issue as well and started correcting the water but didn't go away. Put everything outside and got lazy on correcting the pH value of water and it seems just being outside fixed all the issues.

Tybo said:
Next year I'll have to come up with a way to rid the potting mix of gnats and their eggs.  What do you all do?  I cant believe I'm the only one with this issue.

You're not the only one.  I usually have at least some. Sometimes bad.  I've tried numerous solutions diligently (BTi, H2O2, sand layer, etc.), with no success, but careful watering, yellow traps, fewer plants, and good air circulation from fans seems to help reduce them.  I know some people cook their media in the oven or microwave (hold at 200F for 20 minutes), but I don't really want to cook my soil plus it would be a big hassle any sort of scale.

That spotting is a head-scratcher.  Hope you can figure it out and that it doesn't create a real problem.

Tybo said:
Next year I'll have to come up with a way to rid the potting mix of gnats and their eggs.  What do you all do?  I cant believe I'm the only one with this issue.

Sorry to hear about the gnats Tybo. Probably not going to help, but my solution was to go full hydro when growing indoors after a couple failed attempts with soil. This year I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and tried coco coir - no pest issues so far (and no nutrients in the medium either). 

Demented said:
Could it be light burn of sorts? I had a similar issue that I couldn't figure out. Thought it was a pH issue as well and started correcting the water but didn't go away. Put everything outside and got lazy on correcting the pH value of water and it seems just being outside fixed all the issues.
I suppose it could be caused by lights but it just doesn't look like it.  I hope being outside fixes the problem.

CaneDog said:

You're not the only one.  I usually have at least some. Sometimes bad.  I've tried numerous solutions diligently (BTi, H2O2, sand layer, etc.), with no success, but careful watering, yellow traps, fewer plants, and good air circulation from fans seems to help reduce them.  I know some people cook their media in the oven or microwave (hold at 200F for 20 minutes), but I don't really want to cook my soil plus it would be a big hassle any sort of scale.

That spotting is a head-scratcher.  Hope you can figure it out and that it doesn't create a real problem.
The oven is out of the question.  Several years ago I tried using the oven and the whole house and the inside of the oven smelled like dirt for a good while.  It's pretty bad though when the bag gets opened and gnats fly out!  Hard to imagine the amount of eggs and larvae in there.

HeatMiser said:

Sorry to hear about the gnats Tybo. Probably not going to help, but my solution was to go full hydro when growing indoors after a couple failed attempts with soil. This year I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and tried coco coir - no pest issues so far (and no nutrients in the medium either). 

Thanks HM.  I really like hydro.  The growth from my Kratky plants is way better than the soil plants.  I've never tried coco but have a 5 kilo block here.  Maybe next year I'll give it a go.  
For this season, I purchased 4 bato buckets and when the weather stays warm I intend to give them a try.  I've got the plants for them in kratky jars.  Already have the perlite, a 17 gallon tote for the reservoir, a section of 1 1/2" pvc pipe for the drain pipe, some paint strainer bags to contain the perlite and the pump.  I'm debating on whether to add a float valve to the reservoir to connect to fresh water or just add water manually.  Hopefully the weather will improve soon and I can get started.

Wow.  I knew it has been a while since Ive posted anything but April?  Time flies.  I have checked the posts without signing in and have been keeping up with everyones grows.  I'll try to get some pics up later.  
     It definitely hasn't been a good year for peppers here but Ive got quite a few hanging in there.  First was all the fungus gnats in the house.  Don't know if they affected the roots but some of my plants were really slow taking off.  If I have that problem again I'll try beneficial nematodes.  Then the fungus thing that forced me to make the decision to get rid of about half of my plants.  Some of them were just so badly affected I didnt feel there was any hope for them and decided to get rid of them in an effort to save the remaining plants.  Seems like that worked.  
Then the deer decided to invade.  They were so brave they came right up to within 3 feet of the house where I have my dutch bucket system going and mowed down the plants in there pretty bad.  I put up an electric fence and the plants have rebounded quite well.    
     I have more plants in a small garden area out back and this area WAS protected by an electric fence until I moved the controller to protect the plants at the house, the deer got a few more from there.  I have since purchased another controller for that area and those plants are growing back.
About the time I thought I had everything under control, I found my galapagoense had been stripped of just about all leaves!  No deer this time but the dreaded hornworm!  I left the galap to see if it will recover.  I know peppers are pretty tough sometimes.
     On a positive note, I was able to stay ahead of the aphids and slugs this year by preemptive measures.  When I first found aphids I treated with a pyrenthin product that knocked them out.  For the season it appears.  
     At the first sign of slugs, I sprinkled slug bait around all the plants for several days and haven't seen anymore signs of them.
     I have been getting the occasional ripe pod to sample.  Mozambique Piri Piri were the first and they are pretty good but I probably won't grow them again. They have been like a mild cayenne so far.  Same taste but not as spicy as the cayenne's I have grown.
    I have gotten the occasional orange hab and they are just like you expect for a home grown hab .  I have gotten some Caribbean Red habs also and really like those.  They aren't to be taken lightly though.  Waaaaay hotter than the orange ones!  Im also growing a Bahamian Goat X Habanero from White Hot Peppers and got the first ripe one yesterday and tried it out for dinner.  Very good pepper with quite a bit of heat.  Think I'll grow these again.
     I've also gotten a few NuMex Vaquero jalapeños and they are good.
     I think the only other ripe one Ive tried is a rocoto Montufar.  Only one has ripened and I was excited to taste this one since SkullBiker raves about them. Good reason too.  They are very good.  Another keeper!  Thanks SB.
     Well, I'll stop for now.  Hopefully I can get some pics up soon.  Things have been really busy here but are winding down some.  
     Good luck with your grows.

Glad to see you are still rockin’ and rollin’, Ty!

Sounds like you have last a battle or two this
season, but it sounds like you will ‘win the war’
this grow. Good luck going forward, brother.

Keep those survivors going!

Back