• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

Wow!  Things are really looking great, Tybo!  I'd bet that one with the faded label is a Rocopica F2 (USDA Cardenasii x Unknown Rocoto) - do I remember correctly that you were growing 2 of those?  I got seeds prior to last season that were supposed to be USDA Cardenasii, so the mother would be that, but the way my plant grew it was apparent the mother had crossed with an unknown rocoto as the father making a rocopica.  I don't know all the rocotos that were grown around the cardenasii, but I believe at least XL Brown Rocoto and San Camillo Red were among them, so are possible fathers.

Nice looking flower on the cumari.

Yes.  I think you are right.  I should have looked back in my glog.  I did have 2.  One of these grew just fine and then there was the little "strange" one.    Thanks for the input.
Sharpie's don't seem to hold up well on these labels.  I need to look for a paint pen.

I used sharpie last year and it's rubbish; fades to nothing. This year I've been using a 2B pencil and it's miraculous - I found some tags that had a slightly rough side and the pencil writes on them fine and there's no fading. Sometimes the old solutions are the best but since using a wooden pencil seemed far too low tech for me, I bought a Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil to feel modern :p

I've been finding a whitish mess on the top of this kratky lid for a while now.  The wife and I have just been wiping it off.  My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I wasn't seeing the detail.  (The pic really shows it)  Anyway, out of curiosity I looked at the "droppings" with a magnifying glass and was surprised to find dead bug "fossils"!  I haven't sprayed this plant with anything since I didnt realize I had any problem with bugs.  I guess these just died of old age.

deadaphids.jpeg

I gave the plant a good shaking and lo and behold live aphids fell out!  I've been reading about several of you all having aphid problems and thought I was getting away lucky this year.  Looks like wishful thinking.

shaken.jpeg

We have shaken the plant several times now and each time the number of aphids is fewer and fewer.  Looks like its time to mix up some neem!

Nothing really to add about the main grow but we did get a couple of pimentos today.  They are good.  Nice and sweet.  The wife didnt hesitate to make a small batch of pimento cheese.  I'll be giving that a try in a little while.

Pimento.jpeg

This CAP 524 is real happy here.  Lots of blooms and fruit although not ripe yet.  I tasted one of the darker pods and was surprised by the amount of heat but they were a little bitter.  Maybe after they ripen they'll be better.

IMG_2474.jpeg

IMG_2475.jpeg

Found 1 pepper on my galapagoense.  It has several blooms also.
IMG_2472.jpeg

Weather was in the 90's today.  Hope the blooms don't drop.  I put a shade cloth over the rocoto's hoping that will help some.  

I was watering the plants earlier and found a few ripe pods.  
Left to right:
Schneider Farms Bonnet, Beth Boyd(I was expecting yellow), Corno di Toro, SSE Fatalii, KS Lemon Starrburst(not even close to pheno), and 2 Haskorea pods. 
7:11.jpeg

We have had over a week of temps in the 90's and the weather guy said it's looking like another 10 days of the same.  I checked the kratky BOC today and it was almost empty!  What was left in the bottom looked like concentrated nutes so I dumped it and refilled with fresh.  I'll have to keep a closer eye on the kratky buckets.

Next is a galapagoense bloom with what I believe is a flea beetle.  They hop when I get too close.
bloom.jpeg

And here is a pic (for my record) of the galapagoense plant showing it's size.  I think it's doing real well.
gala.jpeg

This pod is on one of the cardenasii plants but I can't remember if it's the CGN or USDA.  It's dark now so I'll look tomorrow
IMG_2483.jpeg

Looking good Tybo.  That's a nice selection of ripe pods.  And your Galap is getting to be a beast!

The way the cardenasii looks I suspect it crossed with a rococo.  Or perhaps even something different.  It definitely doesn't have the growth pattern of a pure Cardenasii, but it also seems to look a bit different than a typical rocopica.

Plants are looking great Tybo, despite these 90+ days we're having...and it's only July. We don't usually see heat like this until August! Nice pickins. Did you try the Haskorea yet?

CaneDog said:
Looking good Tybo.  That's a nice selection of ripe pods.  And your Galap is getting to be a beast!

The way the cardenasii looks I suspect it crossed with a rococo.  Or perhaps even something different.  It definitely doesn't have the growth pattern of a pure Cardenasii, but it also seems to look a bit different than a typical rocopica.
Hey CD, the label reads CGN Cardenasii only.  I took a pic of one of the blooms.  I'll have to rely on your expertise to ID it.  
cgn.png

DownRiver said:
Plants are looking great Tybo, despite these 90+ days we're having...and it's only July. We don't usually see heat like this until August! Nice pickins. Did you try the Haskorea yet?
Thanks DownRiver.  It seems to me that most of them "don't" look so good.  I believe they were stunted earlier in the spring by all the late frosts and cold weather we had.
It has been a hot July so far and as luck would have it, our hvac is acting up.  It is 23 years old so I guess it has a legitimate excuse.  It's a Trane system and I had them out here to give me an estimate on replacing the outside and inside units..............Wow!  A little over 10 grand.
I might be looking at different brands!  

I wanted to add that there was another pepper that could've gone in that photo above but I ate it while picking.  
It was an Aji Charipita and I wanted to say that for a really small pepper that one packs a pretty good punch.  
I'll try to post pics next time.

DownRiver said:

Tried the Haskorea for dinner last night.  I'm no good at pepper reviews so I'll just say that I liked it.  Decent taste and respectable heat.  If I can get more than 1 or 2 at a time I'd like to dehydrate some for powder.  

What species is the CAP 524?

Pods and foliage look like c. chacoense?

PaulG said:
What species is the CAP 524?

Pods and foliage look like c. chacoense?

You're right Paul.  Chacoense.  It is a nice looking plant.  The weather and the insects don't seem to affect it at all.  I think I already mentioned it but the pods are quite hot so far.  I think they'll turn red later on.  Im not sure what to do with them.  Maybe powder?
Have you grown them?

Tybo said:

You're right Paul.  Chacoense.  It is a nice looking plant.  The weather and the insects don't seem to affect it at all.  I think I already mentioned it but the pods are quite hot so far.  I think they'll turn red later on.  Im not sure what to do with them.  Maybe powder?
Have you grown them?
I have grown chacoense in the past and have
several varieties going this season they pack a
good wallop for a small pod! I usually just dry
the small pods and crush them up when needed.

PaulG said:
I thought those looked like shed aphid exoskeletons!

Get on those suckers, Ty!

HeatMiser said:
+1 to what Paul just said - aphids multiply quickly, so go after them!

Good luck!

Well, I tried neem/Dr. Bronners and was still finding the aphid exoskeleton's.  A lot of them so I figured they were multiplying quickly like HM said.  Rather than string this along too long, I picked up a bottle of pyrethrin to put an end to them.  I took the plant outside and sprayed the undersides of the leaves first and couldn't believe the number of aphids that dropped off!  I sprayed the plant top and bottom until I was satisfied I had complete coverage and had dead and dying aphids everywhere.  I cleaned up the mess and let the plant dry and looked it over with a magnifying glass and didnt find anymore so hopefully that's the end of that.  I'll keep an eye on it though.  

Aphids.jpeg

This is what I bought.  

IMG_2498.jpeg

That’s the ticket, Ty,

Way to talk nice to the aphids!

I found a small ripe CAP 1242 today so I cut it up and had it with dinner tonight.  The only pubescence that I've tried was Aji Oro last year.  I remember liking it and this one was good also.  I think I will try to grow more pubescence in the future.  I like the thick walls (flavorful and juicy) and especially like the heat.  I find it a different heat than my usual chinense and annum peppers.  

1242.jpeg

Also found this reaper but didnt have it in me to give it a try tonight.  

Maybe for breakfast.. :liar:  (ya right)

reap.jpeg

Back