• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Unbelievable Markup

I needed an HDMI cable to hook up the new cable box to the TV so I called a friend who happens to work at local retail store that is nationwide and asked him for a favor. He stops by after work and I ask what I owe him. He hands me the bag. It's a Monster 8 foot cable that retails for $79.99, $85.59 after tax. His cost after discount including taxes? $6.03

I almost pissed myself.

In today's times how can anyone justify a 1300% markup?

Because Monster is a scam. This cable is even better and they don't markup like that.

Monster is a huge company that people associate with quality and are willing to pay out the ass for. I always get the cheap audio connectors and have never complained about any of them, nice score btw.

Any markup can be justified if the product continues to sell. People are dumbasses and the companies that mark up like this know that!
Just look at diamonds, they are worthless rocks for the most part but they sell for astronomical figures.

Don't know much about monster but in this case it's the store selling the cable's that is scamming folks. My buddy said that the employee discount for small items is cost plus 5%.

Thanks for the link to the other cables bossman, I'm going to be needing more.

I use monoprice for my cables and have no complaints. I prefer a 22AWG HDMI cable for super long runs, but the smaller 28AWG cables are fine for the shorter connections.

Monster cables are marketed to the clueless. :P

I don't like the cable I recommended. I'm getting a different one.

It did not last but it may have been my fault. It touched the wall and caused stress on the connector.

For flat panels that are wall mounted I suggest this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=roswill_10_feet-_-82-021-125-_-Product
It has a swivel head, so the cable shoots straight down instead of sticking out the back and bending down which can cause stress.

I just received it today. The connector fits snugly too unlike the other one. Snug fit, and 90 degree angle parallel to the wall. Nice.

I paid a cheaper price but looks like they have free shipping on it now. They keep changing the offers but it's about the same. I got it a little cheaper.

No probs. It took me forever to find it too lol!

monoprice is awesome. There was a website I read that tested out a whole whackload of different hdmi cables. The monoprice cables pretty much came out on top, beating monster and everything else...

They're okay. The more connections the less signal. I like what I got. It's better anyway, 180 degree swivel.

Yes, but I like what I got. I don't want a port saver.

Back