• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Unofficial Rules for Cooking and Posting on THP

Scoville DeVille said:

Ask SL about the time she put her piece of Salmon that I grilled, back on the grill to murder it. :lol:

It was MR and perfect!!!!!

I am going to be murdered for posting this. It was nice knowing y'all. :rofl:
Brother you better Run !!

This one is for Jay.

Rule #72061

If they weren't grown there, they're NOT HATCH Chiles! Call them what they are, 'Anaheim's'.

"The Hatch Chile Association, a group of farmers in the Hatch valley who are seeking to certify the Hatch name, limiting its use to products grown in the unique geography of the Hatch Valley, which they define as stretching from the Caballo Dam roughly 35 miles down the valley, ending just north of the Leesburg Dam, also encompassing the Uvas Valley."

Then they were miss labeled.
It's too bad so many people don't understand that it's not a "seed" thing like Carolina Reaper. It's a geographical thing like Champain or Napa Valley grapes. Even if you get seeds from HATCH® directly, and grow them in your yard, they are not to be considered HATCH because they were not grown in that valley. I feel like as members of a pepper forum, we should know better and be held to a higher standard, respecting the growers in Hatch Valley. Anaheim doesn't have a proprietary rite to any peppers, so grow away. And I don't know anything about that Big Jim fellow. LOL

My 2¢

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I totally get you my friend.  We have a similar situation with tomatoes here.  There is such as thing as a Washingtonboro tomato which is so amazing and revered in this area that there is a festival for it.  It is a tomato commonly known as Jetstar that grown in the fertile river valley adjacent to the mighty Susquehanna river that people come from all around to pay ridiculous amounts of $ for it ie $3.99lb for local tomatoes.  They really are that good.  Grow the same tomato in my yard 10 linear miles away and meh, so so.  I get it.

I would pay good money for some of them gourmet tomatoes. I LOOOOOVE a good tomato! I'm glad you get what I was saying, and know that I'm not trying to be a controlling dick. I just know that those growers (like all) go through a hell of a lot to make their produce what it is.

JayT said:
I totally get you my friend.  We have a similar situation with tomatoes here.  There is such as thing as a Washingtonboro tomato which is so amazing and revered in this area that there is a festival for it.  It is a tomato commonly known as Jetstar that grown in the fertile river valley adjacent to the mighty Susquehanna river that people come from all around to pay ridiculous amounts of $ for it ie $3.99lb for local tomatoes.  They really are that good.  Grow the same tomato in my yard 10 linear miles away and meh, so so.  I get it.
Susquehanna hat company  it's on Bagel st  https://youtu.be/THZV5g1CNZM

Hatch is the New Mexico #9 grown in the Hatch region. The regional name given to the cultivar.

"Anaheim peppers are a direct descendant or cultivar of the New Mexico type pod. In fact all generally mild peppers with a long flat pointed pod type are cultivars of “New Mexico No. 9″ released in 1913 by a horticulturist named Dr. Fabian Garcia who was with the college now known as New Mexico State University.

Seeds from “New Mexico No. 9″ were taken to the Anaheim area of Southern California where they became widely cultivated (as Anaheim peppers).

Because of climate differences New Mexico chiles have one growing season per year but are grown pretty much year round in Anaheim with a wider distribution. That’s why you are more likely to see them in your local mega-mart.

However, it is those soil and climate differences that make New Mexico chiles better tasting and a little hotter. At least that is the opinion of New Mexico chile aficionados like me."

source

The higher elevation (4000 feet) means cool nights in summer and these temporal differences account for the flavor differences.

This is similar to to the San Marzano tomato which is grown in volcanic soil. You you can buy SM seeds sure. You just really aren't growing them the same. BUT are you still growing them I guess is the concern

For all intents and purposes, you have a New Mexico pepper. Or a PA-grown Hatch I guess. :) A PATCH pepper. Distribute the seeds as Patch. :shocked:

Seriously, there are lots of geographical peppers. The Trinidad Scorpion is hotter when grown there. And many grow it here. I don't see the big deal at the end of the day. It was given a name. Use it.

Rule # 99 bottles of beer on the wall

If you cut yourself or burn yourself while cooking drunk DONT GO BITCHIN ABOUT IT. Just have another drink and carry on.

PS - It's not a trademark Scovie but it might be soon

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/11/hatch-valley-farmers-strive-to-protect-chile-band/

latest:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/19/new-mexico-hatch-chile-labeling-dispute-heats-up.html

If they lose rights to protect the Hatch name (a valley) I don't see why we can't call them Hatch peppers like a Roma tomato. Sure, they are not grown there but how many regional names started that way we use today? At least it's a name otherwise no one knows what to call it, New Mexican long pepper? #9? Anaheim... umm regional again and cultivar oops.

If the seed is the same as the NM #9, let's unify on a name. Like the Trinidad Scorpion. Hatch seeds are already sold by many vendors. So who are you (or we) to say they are not growing them? It's more of a legal thing at this point.

Really I could care less. I think Scovie has stock in Hatch or something lol.

FFS I am sorry, I roasted some red chiles I bought at Bowers and am making a burger out of them.  End of story.  I threw the seeds away, I have no more, so this story will end when they are in ma belly.  I am not a grower, a seed seller, or anything else.  I make aluminum, drink beer, and grill when I can.  I wanted to let you know I was roasting some peppers to put on my burger and it becomes A THING.  Well, I am about to assemble said burger and eat it sothe story can die there.  Sorry I ever brought it up in the first place.

Link me up to that HATCH burger Jay!

I missed it in Scovie's white-knighting. :lol:

Rules 2345a-y

No nuts in cookies. No nuts in ice cream. No nuts in cookies in ice cream. No ice cream on cake or pie. No nuts in ice cream on cake or pie. No nuts in cookies in ice cream on cake or pie. No nuts in ice cream on cake with nuts, pie with nuts, or in between cookies with nuts. Nuts are okay though

-Scovie.

The Hot Pepper said:
Rules 2345a-y

No nuts in cookies. No nuts in ice cream. No nuts in cookies in ice cream. No ice cream on cake or pie. No nuts in ice cream on cake or pie. No nuts in cookies in ice cream on cake or pie. No nuts in ice cream on cake with nuts, pie with nuts, or in between cookies with nuts. Nuts are okay though-Scovie.

You got that right!

And I don't have to touch every single lamp post when I walk down the street.

Or wash my hands every 7 minutes.

Back