• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Uses for green tomatoes...not fried

I have a bunch. They never turned red. What the hell can i do with them?

I want interesting, tasty recipes if you have any.

Take the green toms and do half and half green toms and tomatillo's and make a chile verde sauce. Most righteous for enchilada's.

Cheers, TB.

you can try this pickle some they are great
mond1.jpg

Green Tomato Chutney

just got my "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" and this recipe was in there...says it makes about 7 pints...

16 Cups Sliced, cored, peeled green tomatoes
1/2 cup pickling salt
cold water
3 Tbsp pickling spice
4 cups white vinegar
16 cups chopped, cored, peeled apples
3 onions, chopped
3 green Bell Peppers, seeded and chopped
6 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp Chili Powder

1. In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, layer tomatoes and pickling salt. Add cold water to cover. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink. Rinse well with cold water and drain thoroughly.

2. Tie pickling spice in a square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Set aside.

3. In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar and apples. Add drained tomatoes, onions and green peppers. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in brown sugar and return to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes. Add reserved spice bag and chili powder and stir well. Boil gently, stirring frequently, until thick enough to mound on a spoon, about 30 minutes. Discard spice bag.

4. Prepare hot water canner, jars, and lids (while boiling the other stuff).

5. Ladle hot chutney into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot chutney. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

6. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

hope this is useful...

This recipe sounds greaT BUT one thing..don't bother to peel green tomatoes..the skin won't loosen anyway and it's not worth the work..leave the peels on, you'll never know they're there.

Hmm, I wonder if roasting them first would be a fun flavor for a green sauce?
At least then the skins would slide off.. :lol:

Back