• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Variegated Jalapeno Grow Log

So a couple years back when I was working on a commercial grow for a greenhouse I spotted this guy when I was sorting through a few dozen of our Jalapenos in 512 cell trays.  It wasn't likely to be a cross, as the seeds came from isolated seed stock from a company that only sells to nurseries. None of the other plants we had ended up looking like this. I was keeping a close eye on them.  We didn't offer any variegated peppers there at the time, so I had a hunch it was something special.  I took it home with me and tossed it in a SOLO cup.  

Yt7BZGw.jpg

Where I found him:

X6tHNjG.jpg

A bit later on that season I snapped a few more pics of the plant.  

tWsIVZ8.jpg
S4xzmil.jpg

I waited for the pods to ripen and saved seeds, hoping for good things.   They took a long time to ripen and were quite corked.  Unfortunate that I didn't think to take better photos at the time:

coI9gGN.jpg

Shortly afterwards I started some of those seeds and these guys turned up:

131015081-3826596444067522-505638449927604599-o.jpg
E07Ln7x.jpg
131014557-3826004967460003-1439661440858005118-n.jpg

This is about as far as I managed with them, as I moved three hours away and started a new job.  Many of my plants were severely neglected for a span of a few months and all but one of them kicked the bucket.  I'm happy that I sent out seeds for these to several folks (who did have success with them!) and I am starting to grow some more thanks to Paul G and Chris Phillips. 

130822830-3826591190734714-1850438980484309951-o.jpg
20201210-165406.jpg

That's where I am right now!  Hopefully Canedog, Paul and Chris will chime in with their experience growing them.

Cheers.

First pepper on a light/dark green ripened - also the smallest jalapeño I’ve grown (or seen!)
caace66e19bd71b5d8c4429efcfad1c9.jpg

Harvested six seeds from it (the pepper definitely made up for its size with heat) and will be planting in a few days.

Seeds from the all green plant have now sprouted and are just starting to develop the first set of true leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acprkit said:
First pepper on a light/dark green ripened - also the smallest jalapeño I’ve grown (or seen!)

Harvested six seeds from it (the pepper definitely made up for its size with heat) and will be planting in a few days.

Seeds from the all green plant have now sprouted and are just starting to develop the first set of true leaves.

That's awesome, Patrick!

:mouthonfire: Small but mighty...

You are turning over the generations at a fair clip.   :thumbsup:

These are the five 'extra' Variegated Jalapeño plants,
all in #1 nursery pods. Debating what to do with them.
Maybe I will just leave them in the greenhouse in their
small pots. I have two others that will go out into #10
containers:
55AE6547-8512-4300-97EB-101DF6D15858_1_201_a.jpeg

All are setting pods, both plain and variegated.

The 12 seeds I planted from the all green plant have all sprouted and are all green - confirms that the variegation is recessive, I think.

I have a number of seeds now from the light/dark green plants that I just planted, so fingers crossed!

Acprkit said:
The 12 seeds I planted from the all green plant have all sprouted and are all green - confirms that the variegation is recessive, I think.

I have a number of seeds now from the light/dark green plants that I just planted, so fingers crossed!

Good to know those results, but It's more likely to confirm variegation is a dominant trait.  If green is recessive, then both green alleles are needed to show a green phenotype plant.  That means no green plant has any dominant (variegated) genes to pass on to create a variegated (+ / - ; - / - ; or - / + ) offspring.  All green produce green.  If variegation were recessive, then self-pollinated greens (dominants) would produce 75% green appearance and 25% variegated appearance phenotypes. 

I suspect this isn't a simple single-loci dominant/recessive situation, though.  The all-white versus white/green plants could suggest an incompletely dominant white allele (which unfortunately wouldn't be a good situation for stabilization).  Perhaps more likely, the marbled mutation (m-1 series) seems like it could be at play here, given the puckering of the leaves with distinct bordering, plus variegation appearing within a leaf and/or by section of plant.

Anyhow, it's an interesting one.  And the anthocyanin also seems to have been picked up as a currently unstable trait from the cross as well. 

EDIT:  PaulG - Your plant on the lower left above looks super cool!

CaneDog said:

Good to know those results, but It's more likely to confirm variegation is a dominant trait.  If green is recessive, then both green alleles are needed to show a green phenotype plant.  That means no green plant has any dominant (variegated) genes to pass on to create a variegated (+ / - ; - / - ; or - / + ) offspring.  All green produce green.  If variegation were recessive, then self-pollinated greens (dominants) would produce 75% green appearance and 25% variegated appearance phenotypes

I suspect this isn't a simple single-loci dominant/recessive situation, though.  The all-white versus white/green plants could suggest an incompletely dominant white allele (which unfortunately wouldn't be a good situation for stabilization).  Perhaps more likely, the marbled mutation (m-1 series) seems like it could be at play here, given the puckering of the leaves with distinct bordering, plus variegation appearing within a leaf and/or by section of plant.

Both of these statements mirror my observations of the VJ this season. Some of the plants are about 1/4 variegated. Out of 9 plants, only the plant from the white pod seed is all green.

Anyhow, it's an interesting one.  And the anthocyanin also seems to have been picked up as a currently unstable trait from the cross as well. 

EDIT:  PaulG - Your plant on the lower left above looks super cool!
Hey, CD! Thanks for your thoughts on the VJ. 

The plant you mentioned is setting pods inside
all that foliage. No telling how many there are.
Some green, some variegated. Almost all the
variegated sections have some purple in the
stems on all the plants.

All these photos make my Variegated Jalapeno look weak. These are excellent looking so thanks for sharing and I got here from Facebook somehow but don't remember from where...lol

Is this variety relatively new or did this crazy variegation originate from somewhere else? I got my seeds my Texas Hot Peppers at the end of 2020.

catchthebear said:
The origin is at the beginning of this thread. The one Garth has on his site is not the same
Hey, Matt, Say, do you remember if these Jalapeños
are of a specific variety, or just ‘Jalapeños’?

catchthebear said:
The origin is at the beginning of this thread. The one Garth has on his site is not the same
Thanks for pointing that out and letting me know. I should have looked at it better but maybe I was more distracted by all the gorgeous photos of the foliage  :dance:

Ok so I did see where it came from originally but I guess I was thinking once you found it the seeds were out there somewhere. But I see you had a few people grow it out for you and that is pretty much where the seeds are other than yourself. I will be honest I didn't have time to comb through the entire 8 pages of this thread. It is definitely an amazing plant and I look forward to keeping up with the progress.

catchthebear said:
Just looked it up. They were listed as Jalapeno Gigantica (Goliath)
Thanks, Matt, I appreciate your running that down.
The ‘all-green’ plant is producing some larger pods
with the warmer weather. It’s a productive plant,
especially for being in a #2 Short container.Will try
to get some VJ pix up here soon now that plant-out
is done.

Really looking forward to seeing what everyone has going
this season!

Plants from the ivory variegated pods in
#3 nursery pots. Finally have filled out the
pots with roots and starting to put on some
new growth.
224FFE59-918E-478A-9F96-EC4D1A058D4E.jpeg