• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Very first try at growing peppers. Rymerpt 2014 ( 2 pod CHALLENGE VIDEOS)

1780132_10201563975249812_94634369_o_zpsee15fd1c.jpg

1965589_10201563976649847_1080762667_o_zps9a2b53ff.jpg
10005867_10201563977529869_1914849818_o_zps808d66d1.jpg

The seedlings are Thai and the egg carton is Thai seeds. The other little pots have habenero seeds. I'm also gonna try some supperhot seeds when the package arrives from Smiley. (Thanks again Mike)

I'll post progress often I'm sure. Yesterday the seedlings moved from a small six pack to their new nesting grounds. All rest in nothing but organic seed starter soil and water.

Rymerpt

All the pickles look great. I need to get off my butt and start pickling some pods, too. How did the pickled eggs turn out? I made a batch last winter with one reaper in a quart jar. That wasn't nearly hot enough, so for the next batch I used about a half dozed per jar. I also threw the pods and the brine in the blender to really help infuse the flavor. Now they taste great and really make my lips burn!

The pickled eggs were awesome! Next batch I'm gonna kick it up a bit more, but the heat was great.

So a was worrying about my four foot ghost plant that I put out by the front door, but I figure if It pods up and someone steals peppers it will only burn the shit outta them anyway.Win win.

Got impatient and popped a super hot pickle jar.

Wow, the heat is awesome. Tongue tingling, lip burning awesomeness.

The taste is really well flavored, but a tad cucumbery.

I do like them and ended up eating nearly half the jar.

Now maybe I can wait the alotted time for the others.

Next weekend should do it.

randyp said:
I luv hot eggs,But I can't leave them in the jar long enough to soak up the good heat. ;)
Yes that will be a problem. Trouble is I'm a foodie with very little patience.

As of right now I'm thinking my grow list for next year will be Aji, brazilian starfish, purple jalapeno, a few thai varieties, a couple fatalli and a hand full of super hots including the reaper. I will likely overwinter my ghost and my chocolate scorpion. Most else is up in the air at this point.

I have been working on collecting seeds from the ones folks have so generously sent me, ones I have harvested from bought peppers, and ones that I have harvested from the wonderfull boxes I have received from Sicman and Mike.

This is what I have. I will be harvesting more from my own peppers and from what I have left from Mike's box.

My space is very limited (for growing) and my seed supply is small ( about 10-30 seeds per variety), but if you see something that you would like just let me know. Some I cant let go, but most are available for trade or gift. I have LOTS of MANZANO.

CURRENT LIST:

1. Aji lemon
2. Aji pineapple
3. Brazilian starfish
4. Brazilian ghost
5. Chocolate bhut
6. Chocolate Bhutlah
7. Chocolate scorpion
8. Dougalah
9. Fatalli
10. FDA scotch bonnet
11. Infinity
12. Jalapeno seasoning ( no heat)
13. Purple jalepeno
14. Kung pao
15. Manzano
16. Maruga
17. Naga
18. Naga morich
19. Peruvian white habenero
20. 7 pot barrock pore
21. 7 pot brainstrain
22. 7 pot primo
23. 7 pot white
24. 7 pot yellow
25. Reaper
26. Scorpion tongue
27. Serrano
28. Tepin x lemondrop f1
29. Tepin x lemondrop f2
30. Jojo thai
31. Thai dragon
32. Thai long hot
33. thai short hot
34. Prik kee nu
35. Thai one
36. Thai 2
37. Tonya (Sicman's wife's creation)

ikeepfish said:
Did you ever get ahold of your mystery C. frutescens from Fiji?

Yea its known to the people as jungly mercha. The Fiji gov has declaired that the birds eye thai pepper that birds spread is envasive. This is the pepper that my friend covets because he could pick it wild in Fiji. I have seeds that I will be growing next year. For now he enjoys the short Thai hot or "prik kee nuu" that I grow.

Ok, lots to say.

I had trouble with aphids on my scorpion tongue the other day. I mixed up a spray bottle with water and dish soap. I must have put a bit to much soap because I caused a decent leaf drop. Killed the aphids, buthurt the plant. I sprayed all the plants for good measure and to keep them from getting any aphids. A couple other plants lost a few leaves as well.

I recently ran out of 10-10-10 and did an epsome salt/water feed. The last four waterings went as follows:

10-10-10 + half a pot of coffee + coffee grounds mixed into 20 gal for 18 plants

Epsom/20gal water for 18 plants

Epsome/20gal water for 18 plants

20 gal water for 18 plants

On that third watering is when I used the soap water folier spray.

Today I just bought a new product that is 10-15-10. Gonna feed tonight or tommarow.

082214131034_zps5685170d.jpg

Was told by nersury that by taking a q-tip or a paint brush I can increase my pods by helping the flowers polinate. Gonna give it a try.

LOOK MA IM A MIDWIFE

I've been having major flowers on the huge ghost plant for over a month. No pods. After asking around I have decided to stop my fert schedule for awhile. I overwatered it to flush and am gonna stay with just water for awhile.

I am currently waiting for the dishwasher. I have jars in there that are gonna hold my next batch of pickled cucumbers. I have a handfull of primos that are gonna heat things up. Could hardly sleep last night thinking about how to make AWESOME PICKLES.

Just some notes to self:

PICKLED WHOLE PEPPERS

make knife cuts in pepper so they will fill with brine. Shake jar, add more brine, repeat untill the peppers obsorb the brine. This will make it so there is not all the empty space in the jar after a week.

BIG POTS

when you plant use the biggest pots. 5 gal buckets seem to be the way to go. Also leave a little space so watering is easier.

FEEDING PLANTS

10-10-10 works great for growing, but back away from feeding everytime you water once flowers form. Flush every now and again also.

Back