• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Burger Showdown Throwdown

Beef

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Pepper said:
THIS is the reason some people don't enter (sapping fun out of it). So let's move on.

That's not true. This is an ongoing topic of discussion ...

But I agree, we can leave it at that, because the chance of me mentioning any of them approach zero.
Yes, I'll beer now too, I guess.

Lastly, apologies to those experiencing it who don't deserve to ...

Like I said, I don't care if people don't want to enter because people vote for pics, or people vote for friends, this TD thing is not that serious! I'm sure you've heard people tell you things, but if it is that serious to them, they shouldn't enter I guess. This is a thing we do once a month to get together, post pics, and try new culinary things. The stupid crown thing is just... because. But sapping the fun out of it does keep people from entering... the people that are here for fun. Not saying others don't have their own reasons.

This started out fun, it should end fun. Who cares about the rest?

Honestly if you are not having a good time and this stresses you out, just post in the forums. :)

wheebz said:
what the f**k did I miss?

I cant even drink a damn beer, screw you guys

i didn't get to ask - baked or broiled?

wheebz said:
I cant even drink a damn beer, screw you guys

i thought being able to handle alcohol was a requirement for being a brewer, in fact i'm pretty sure it is ...

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     You started all this!!!  ;)  :rofl:

wheebz brought a Not Your Father's Stuffed Burger to the contest ...

-65/50 ...

if i have a sniffle for the next brewdown i'll just use extract, and then filter, pasteurize, and back-sweeten that fucker to make my point ...

your just mad my 20 minute burger is almost wrecking your 3 day extravaganza!!!

you are still gonna win though, no way to fix that at this point

and its not about not being able to handle it, its about realizing that killing 12+ beers a night plus a couple shots isnt healthy...

so no drinking at all for me this week

that and I cant taste shit because of this stuffy nose and head cold

wheebz said:
your just mad my 20 minute burger is almost wrecking your 3 day extravaganza!!!

you are still gonna win though, no way to fix that at this point

and its not about not being able to handle it, its about realizing that killing 12+ beers a night plus a couple shots isnt healthy...

so no drinking at all for me this week

that and I cant taste shit because of this stuffy nose and head cold

no, i'm mad at you for letting me waste a weekend after talkin' mad shit about how you were going to meta-me with my own beer, and then fucking off the night before and not showing up ...

clearly i don't care enough about winning to keep my moof shut for the rest of an entire week just to let that happen, so here we are ...
:cheers:
ps - tourism victory's are weak-sauce =)
wheebz said:
BRB going to the bar :)

NYFRB float? lulz ..

Hey in didn't expect that my drinking Saturday night would affect my burger game Sunday at 7pma

And it was a combo of that and the cold that fucked me up. I can't even taste my diet coke right now

But I can taste that sweet burger

wheebz said:
I can't even taste my diet coke right now

But I can taste that sweet oven-burger.

FIFY.

Pissed I got my grill dirty over it.

You can chose, but you're losing either your Irish card, or your Seibel credentials for a month, at least ...

I don't know geeme that last pic was gone from the start so you didn't miss anything.

Kitchen was a mess on the weekend, painted ceiling and primed walls after stripping off 3 layers of wallpaper, but  I wish I could have gotten in on this one, I always like the burger TD's .   I had a few ideas and was even a bit shocked when I saw BigB drop that donut bun burger last week, as that was one of the things I was kicking around.  I wish he had been able to repeat it, could have been a contender for sure. 

Grant- I wanted to ask you . Was there an advantage to using both  sodium hexametaphosphate and sodium citrate or would just the sodium citrate have been enough ?    Btw here is a cool idea for any leftover black velveta you have. 

http://hungryhappenings.com/2013/10/halloween-snacks-black-cheese-velveeta.html/

Although I love seeing who voted for me I might suggest that that "view" option can cause controversy.

When you/me/us vote for things "in the real world" we never know who voted for what.

I'm sad to see such a spat going on in this VOTING thread.

I have busted my butt a few times cooking the best that I could and only received a hand full of votes.

That crown means TONS to me because it shows that I have out cooked some REALLY GOOD COOKS.

For that reason alone I will continue to spend money, that I don't really have to spend, on items to make the results I post as my entry.

Shit mine was veggie because meat costs to much. I still dropped $50 on this competition.

You people can afford fancy cooking gear, special crazy ingrediants AND HAVE THE BUDDY SUPPORT OF OVER HALF OF THE THP MEMBERSHIP.

I bust my ass and do my best.

My point is take the votes you get and be happy about it all.

Its all just a popularity contest anyway.

........QUIT BITCHING ABOUT STUPID SHIT.....

Ashen said:
Grant- I wanted to ask you . Was there an advantage to using both  sodium hexametaphosphate and sodium citrate or would just the sodium citrate have been enough ?    Btw here is a cool idea for any leftover black velveta you have. 

http://hungryhappenings.com/2013/10/halloween-snacks-black-cheese-velveeta.html/

I used it because 1) it was already here, 2) since ChefSteps chose to use it *after* Modernist Cuisine at Home went straight sodium citrate - I figured it might be an upgrade. Also there was a comment on the ChefSteps Nacho Cheese thread that said:

Sodium citrate allows the proteins in the cheese sauce to become more soluble while lowering the pH of the sauce, which creates a smooth emulsion without curdling. Though citric acid will also lower the pH, it will not work on proteins as sodium citrate does. Using citric acid will result in a soupy or grainy texture instead of a silky emulsion.
Sodium hexametaphosphate is a sequestrant that binds with calcium ions.

I'm pretty sure that sodium citrate alone would be fine, though, as Modernist Cuisine has a beer cheese recipe that's based solely on that.

It's worth mentioning that Kenji pulls it off using corn starch, and also that like Sum and Frydad4 mentioned long ago - you can use lemon juice too.

Rymerpt said:
You people can afford fancy cooking gear, special crazy ingrediants AND HAVE THE BUDDY SUPPORT OF OVER HALF OF THE THP MEMBERSHIP.

Its all just a popularity contest anyway.

........QUIT BITCHING ABOUT STUPID SHIT.....

I disagree with everything here, and it starts with "you people" ... but I'll just leave that there ...

If I'm one of those people, who are you? ...

FWIW, I particularly resent this because I put forth my list of TD wishes all the time, and it's always based on intentionally inexpensive ingredients: pizza, grilled cheese, eggs, salad, soup, and shit like that ...

It's not supposed to be a popularity contest, or a photography contest either ... and for every fan that I might have, I have two or three haters ... so that's meh ...

TD's are about having a good idea, executing it, capturing it, and accurately sharing how other members can try to reproduce it themselves ...

I know firsthand how much thought D3 puts into his entries, at all hours of the day ...

People aren't trying so hard to be competitive, they're trying so hard to raise their own game in most cases that I can think of ...

Besides that, Boss's instructions are clear, that detailed instructions are to be provided ...

If I spend that valuable time of mine, I don't feel badly for expecting that others will as well ...

People cook other people's recipes here all the time, it's one of the best aspects of the site ... just like borrowing/leveraging soil and nutrient ratios etc etc ...

And really, "crazy ingredients" that amount to glorified citrus juice, or cornstarch, yeah =| ...

One last thing ... be the change you wish to see ... besides participating when I can and/or when I'm interested, I've tried other Contests to try other formats ...

It ends up being a lot of work, is costly, and I'm still working at it ...

Well there's 10 minutes I'll never get back.

Grant, maybe you should take a day or two off. You are literally posting every other post and it has just gotten very spotlight-ish. You don't OWN this thread but you have something to say to anyone who makes a post. Somehow you're pissed because Wheebz didn't... whatever you think he should or shouldn't have done.

As a friend Grant, chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back