• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Burger Showdown Throwdown

Beef

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not a photography contest. But at the same time it's an important aspect. Seeing as how no one gets to taste each others foods we are relying solely on  visual and descriptive content to make our decisions.

So while pretty pics shouldn't be a deciding factor... they certainly add to the visual appeal of the meal. 

Grant i do have huge respect for you sir and you have made some very valid points.

My creativity gives me my edge when the prices humble me.

One of the biggest reasons I compete is to show myself that I can stand up to the cooks that have all the tools.

The only reason I stepped off the sideline today is to voice that I feel we need to focus on the good a bit more today.

Scoville DeVille said:
Well there's 10 minutes I'll never get back.

Grant, maybe you should take a day or two off. You are literally posting every other post and it has just gotten very spotlight-ish. You don't OWN this thread but you have something to say to anyone who makes a post. Somehow you're pissed because Wheebz didn't... whatever you think he should or shouldn't have done.

As a friend Grant, chill.

His saying things that infer things that simply aren't true, which is super f**king annoying ...

It's not new, it's old and tired ... there's lots of folks who are still around, but won't participate, and at least two more that participate in almost every one, that are on the verge of stopping ...

In the worst of times between us, I voted for your entries when they were the best because without it being meritocratic it just doesn't work ...

I'll stop, but only because I can't keep wasting my f**king time ...

Rymerpt said:
Grant i do have huge respect for you sir and you have made some very valid points.

My creativity gives me my edge when the prices humble me.

One of the biggest reasons I compete is to show myself that I can stand up to the cooks that have all the tools.

The only reason I stepped off the sideline today is to voice that I feel we need to focus on the good a bit more today.

:cheers:

grantmichaels said:

there's lots of folks who are still around, but won't participate, and at least two more that participate in almost every one, that are on the verge of stopping ...

Who cares? Let THEM worry about that not you.

The chat room was nixed, and now the TDs are on the same path, why can't you just enjoy them for what they are????

I guess if you feel that way, it's possible, but I don't see that as being necessary because of any of this ...

I didn't participate for a long time, and I'm perfectly fine with going back to that ...

This time I'm taking the time to share why that'll likely be the case, whereas last time I just walked away ...

It might not be consequential to the site in terms of total participation, but it's my opinion that we're running off people whom have made contributions that are somewhat above and beyond the median, and that it's worth asking each other why ...

And really, it's not even for me, since in a lot of cases I've reached out to them to continue interacting with them elsewhere.

It's cool. I mean - it's really not cool, but I can live with it having tried to make my case fairly completely this time, however it turns out ...

I'll just go back to my hole now =)

:cool:

shit i cant believe i missed all the fun.

Yo who the hell cares. Don't bash each other over petty drama. This feels like high school. idk about you guys but i just graduated not that long ago and I'm pleased to be away from that. Maybe you guys miss it. But please stop. This is all for fun and whether you turned in a frozen patty and strohman roll, or went all out on everything, its for the fun of it and if you cant take that then don't participate. Don't get on each others asses. tbh there was only 1 burger in the entire competition I would eat because of dietary habits. That doesn't stop me from voting and enjoying what you guys are capable of creating. Let's move on guys. 

Also I want to win a few of these crowns too... soooooooooooooo

grantmichaels said:

I used it because 1) it was already here, 2) since ChefSteps chose to use it *after* Modernist Cuisine at Home went straight sodium citrate - I figured it might be an upgrade. Also there was a comment on the ChefSteps Nacho Cheese thread that said:

I'm pretty sure that sodium citrate alone would be fine, though, as Modernist Cuisine has a beer cheese recipe that's based solely on that.
It's worth mentioning that Kenji pulls it off using corn starch, and also that like Sum and Frydad4 mentioned long ago - you can use lemon juice too.

Apparently we have Fondue to thank for the discovery of melting salts as they are sometimes called.   People had figured out you need to use young wine in fondue to help keep it from breaking , took awhile scientists to  be interested to figure out it was from the higher levels of melting salts in it that was responsible. 

when I said earlier in the thread that all categories were close for my vote I meant it.  Wheebz might have fast freestyled  his entry but I for one would have no issue trying it with a tweak or two. the entry gave the essentials on how to make it and most importantly I knew what it would taste like. I liked the shepards pie ( cottage pie) vibe it gave off.   BTW a  true sheppards pie stuffed burger probably would have taken my vote in a heartbeat.  Never underestimate the value of comfort. People will like and vote for things they are comfortable with, especially if the other choice is unknown. I know what kind of flavour squid ink brings to the table but for some squid cheese could just be too overwhelming. For me it came down to the cut photo.  If wheebz's bottom tatertot bun had looked like I could pick it up to eat , I would probably have gone with his .

I know about being disappointed , wondering why ppl are voting the way they do.  SmokenFire's patty melt and key's quad stack last year were killer , I think personally some of the best burgers I have ever seen on this site, and neither won but at the end of the day it is about fun. 

I've learned and tried many new things thanks to the TD's. Thinking way outside my normal comfort zone and box. If it wasn't for these I'd be making the same old 3-4 meals on a regular. 

This entire site has brought my cooking game up quite a few notches. Last thing i'd ever want to see is these go away or lose their fun. 

Yes, you guys totally get it.

And they are not going anywhere, but once something is not fun anymore, you know the rest. And that goes for me too, I do have fun with these, I take each month seriously, brainstorming, challenging you guys, etc. And they are work but it pays off in the end, so this was a bit disappointing, but we can turn it around.

Note: You should never have to explain your vote, ever. If you vote because you really like one ingredient, or hate another, or because you flipped a coin, or because the member is new and really delivered, that is how you vote!

And there's a proper place for Throwdown suggestions HERE where I welcome suggestions if you feel strongly about something. But (this is to everyone) let's not call people out by group or name because you don't think they voted right, and let's enjoy the rest of this TD. There's a lot of time left and the votes have already exceeded the norm (a record I think). So crack a beer and enjoy the rest of your day. :cheers:

D3monic said:
I've learned and tried many new things thanks to the TD's. Thinking way outside my normal comfort zone and box. If it wasn't for these I'd be making the same old 3-4 meals on a regular. 

This entire site has brought my cooking game up quite a few notches. Last thing i'd ever want to see is these go away or lose their fun.
Same for me. Love seeing the recipes and procedures to try new stuff. The burger and pizza TD's are my favorite. I hope they remain as a staple in the rotation.

Curses on this burger TD!  The pics of the Whopper got me jonesing for a BK whopper, trying to talk my honey into driving 40 miles to the closest BK joint.  He says 'we have burger in the freezer, lets just make one!'  Seriously?  you can't just replicate the greasy flame broiled taste of a BK Whopper!   :mope: 

stuck with microwave nachos..... :mope:  

with LDHS Medium Red Label!!!  :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back