• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Nice updates and glad to see hooks and healthy seedlings.mmm. Dip!! I've had the priveledge to taste some of Jamison's powder. Nom nom. Not over powering and doesn't make me sneeze. !! Put the JA habs in two days ago and let them be while I'm visiting in laws in the San Fran area.
Cool, have fun at inlaws ;) Yea the powders are very good, now I can’t wait to try his on chili and good luck with the JA Habs. Those seeds are from my top/best plant in da crop from one of those golf size pods, should do you right. Thanks for commenting and have great weekend ^_^

That dip . . . that dip. Rule 1. (this is repeated rule) Do not come to Ramon's glog if remotely hungry. Rule 2. Do not come to Ramon's glog unless have just eaten a very very fine meal. Those pot ups look like sweet little girls, Ramon. But I know they hellraisers and yes: strong roots. Nice sweet rich looking soil! and Rule number 1 . . . ;) again . . .
Thanks Annie, if you ever down my way I'll make you some too ... I can’t wait to see your crop producing, should be killa!

Apologies if these pics suck, I am testing dumb’in down resolution from 240 to 72 and reducing jpeg quality to smaller file sizes to see if I can achieve faster load times. While I’ve shaved seconds of load times, it’s hard for me to tell with such a crappy ISP, hehe. All plants below are a portion of my Jamaican Habaneros. I am trying to see if I can capture the vast improvement in leaf color and growth since I rid dem of mites and started watering them with seaweed tea. IMHO it's impossible to tell unless you see the vibrancy, color and lushness in real life but I am seriously impressed with this tea. That said, I am sourcing more 5 gallon buckets so I can run several batches at once.

15ydrwi.jpg

qyi91s.jpg

fbgjp.jpg

muxspc.jpg

invj9t.jpg

Been lazy and no lengthy foodie shots lately but did capture this sofrito starter infused arepa with egg, ham & cheese I scarfed down for breakfast. Cooking these fresh makes a world of difference to taste IMHO.
2ikuo0i.jpg

25grqbp.jpg

As always thanks for looking and reading, have a great weekend, Nuff Respect & WalkGood,
Ramon

The pictures look great, and if you didn't say anything I wouldn't have noticed the reduction in size.
Thanks but the disclaimer was intentional cause I can tell a little grain but all’s good as it does load faster.

Now that's the way to have ham and cheese!
Forgot to mention the cheese is graded too, hehe

Seaweed tea is no joke! Look at that deep forest green!
So you can tell the difference from when you first saw them by the pictures? They really do look much better to me now …

I didn't know that 'WalkGood's Cuban Cafe' served breakfast!
Now serving quality lunches, dinner & cocktails by the Tarpon River at affordable prices by the chimenea … 4.75 stars out of 5 ;)

As always thanks for stopping by da beach shack and commenting.

Girls look outstanding, Ramon! Pretty blossoms, and love the rain drops. I can't function without kelp but unlike you, be something of a trip for me to get fresh, so . . . gotta buy. However, kelp tea looks like working: just gorgeous and great photography! Rule 1 and 2 upheld: I snarfed down more chili beans cooked on wood stove, half-ham bone with a little meat, doused w/"Choco-Habby-Yammy" sauce before dropping in here. But those arepas +>1! Ever fish for any snook? :drooling: . I've caught them in Lemon Bay, a couple, and man, immense fight and as they say, "Nobody can tell what they were once filleted." Of course, not smart idea to leave the skin on if planning on eating them . . . the joy of fillet. Grilled in foil, blackening spices--hot powders or fresh pods, thyme, and if green onion, gotta have allspice--oh yeah! Or Black Tip shark . . . they catch 'em on North Beach almost in Sarasota Co. at night. Ya help, ya get a few steaks. Mmmmmmmm. Woah! Now, am craving good fish. Rules 1 & 2 = broken! :rofl:

Your potted plants are flowering up nicely, the tea is a charm!
Keep the little pots out of rain especially if its constant......the seedlings can drown very easily.
Looks like you're beating the mite issue, I'm happy to see that.
I could use one of those sanwiches right now.......it's been a long afternoon/evening.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Girls look outstanding, Ramon! Pretty blossoms, and love the rain drops. I can't function without kelp but unlike you, be something of a trip for me to get fresh, so . . . gotta buy. However, kelp tea looks like working: just gorgeous and great photography! …
Thanks for noting ^_^ No kelp here, it's a Pacific ting but would love to try it on plants, have tried many a time on sushi. The seaweed we get here is sargassum and I more than fine with it. It's free and is loaded with small fish, crabs, loads of shrimp and other good fishy stuff. This is why I think my tea is more than seaweed tea. Not sure but I believe its like seaweed tea with virgin fish emulsion cause the critters there are babies.

… I snarfed down more chili beans cooked on wood stove, half-ham bone with a little meat, doused w/"Choco-Habby-Yammy" sauce before dropping in here. But those arepas +>1!
Sounds yummy and yes arepas are also but different, more for breakfast or lunch for me …

Ever fish for any snook? :drooling:. I've caught them in Lemon Bay, a couple, and man, immense fight and as they say, "Nobody can tell what they were once filleted." Of course, not smart idea to leave the skin on if planning on eating them . . . the joy of fillet. Grilled in foil, blackening spices--hot powders or fresh pods, thyme, and if green onion, gotta have allspice--oh yeah! Or Black Tip shark . . . they catch 'em on North Beach almost in Sarasota Co. at night. Ya help, ya get a few steaks. Mmmmmmmm. Woah! Now, am craving good fish. Rules 1 & 2 = broken! :rofl:
Yes Snook are one of the best fish IMHO and you are right they need to be skinned because of the oily skin. But under that skin is some of the finest white meat on planet earth! You do know that they are a prize game fish and illegal for commercial sales, so one can only eat them if they catch them and you need a special license for dem. I catch them in my backyard but the big ones here are best caught at our inlets.

Your potted plants are flowering up nicely, the tea is a charm!
Keep the little pots out of rain especially if its constant......the seedlings can drown very easily.
Looks like you're beating the mite issue, I'm happy to see that.
I could use one of those sanwiches right now.......it's been a long afternoon/evening.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Thanks and you’re right the mites are DOA as far as I can see. Good call on the rain, the babies are under a porous awning that allows light thru but limits the amount of rain to a mist and they survived it fine, although the pool benefited from the free fill :)
Yes arepas are really good stuffed with food, although plain they’re a little boring for my taste and I’m a bit late on replying but I’m sure you had a great weekend too! BTW I’m fully convinced on the tea, getting ready to start up a few more batches if I can source the right containers like the one I now have. Maybe I’ll look for something bigger and keep it to one larger batch, I haven’t decided that yet.

Side note: I agree with your response to Patrick IIRC about food in glog, hell it’s your glog or my glog and if I want to post food, surfing pictures or anything (iron gates) he can just ignore it, lol. Personally I’m treating my glog as snapshots of my life and peppers are just one of the pieces of the WalkGood puzzle :D

plants look great!! can i please get 4 of them little sexy breaky sammies?
Thanks Jason and if you’re down our way feel free to hail me, if it’s early morning you could be in luck for a few fresh arepas, if not I’m sure we could tip a few brews ^_^

Thanks all for comments and helping me keep a positive vibration ... have a great week!

Wow Lourens I truly thank you, that is beautiful mon and had no idea it was your national flower. Can't say we don't learn here ^_^ ... I love dem birds mon! I have grown them in the past but mine have never done great, probably my approach, hands off like I do with orchids failed me :/ That said, they do great year round in our climate here and one of my cousins grows beautiful ones. Thanks for da learn mon!

The plants look great Walkgood! I was expecting disaster with all the talk about mites! Looks like you have a good handle on it bud! I got dem JA habs planted this morning bud, can't wait to taste em! Respect brudda!

The plants look great Walkgood! I was expecting disaster with all the talk about mites! Looks like you have a good handle on it bud! I got dem JA habs planted this morning bud, can't wait to taste em! Respect brudda!
Thanks Jamison and boy am I happy to kick dem mites back ... after the first few days they seemed to spread like wildfire and was expecting a possible re-start. I now have a plan in place and won't let dem suckers back into my garden, probably impossible to kill dem all where I live, too much jungle around the yard but as long as they stay away from peppers I'll be happy. That said, they attacked my desert roses, I haven't pictured them here but will probably post up a pic tomorrow. Good to read about the JA Habs, we love them and use in cooking, sauces and dips. I even chop them up and put into sandwiches, very tasty IMHO. Hope they do you great and you end up enjoying them. BTW will be having your powder on chili tonight, I'll snap a pic but doubt that you can see the powder ... take care and thanks for posting :)

Jamison,My better half made some chili and I wasn’t home so no shots along the way. Although I had a bowl two bowls when I got home and wanted to picture it because she cooked in some of your Pecan Smoked Scotch Bonnet powder in it. Tasted great but since you could not see the powder in the chili, I tossed a little extra on some dip chips … what a nice smoky burn :)
210ll6t.jpg

24gpzyu.jpg

Nice grow. I really like the first wet plant pic. And that chili looks delicious.
Mike, thank you! When the pods are big and orange or red they are delicious, currently that plant is full of flowers and a few pods developing. Those pods (JA Hab) are very juicy and hot, IMO delicious! Yes the chili was great, thank you for commenting :)

Oh man, that chili looks great! I especially love it on the scoops. It must have been blazing hot after more of the powder was sprinkled overtop.
Stefan, while it was hot/picante it was very tasty with a nice smoky flavor, wish I had more left over for today lunch but it’s gone ^_^ I don’t think it needed the extra powder as you noted but I wanted to give it a shot anyway and yea its blazing …

Everything is looking good .... can hardly wait for planting out time in my part of Tejas
Erin, I can’t wait either … don’t forget to take lots of pics and thanks for checking my glog out ^_^

Ramon, that chili looks awesome. Tell the wife good job! A lot of my buddies tell me thats the best way to eat my powders I make is on their chili. Hope you enjoyed!
Jamison, wife will be pleased with da compliments, thank you and back at ya, that powder it great! While I don’t know if it’s the best way as your powder has many other uses as well IMHO. But it certainly flavors the whole pot of chili in an extra ordinary way and we loved it! Super delicious, a nice smoky flavor, and heat level that is just right. I put a little extra powder on the scoops, IMO it really didn’t need it but I wanted to increase the flavor & heat. While they were yummy too, I think using it to flavor the whole pot is better because it enhances the flavor throughout all of the chili. Again, thanks mon, it was great to use!

Off pepper subject; And now for something completely different … yes Patrick I know it has nothing to do with growing peppers but that’s just the way I roll :D I was out trimming my peppers, sorry no pictures because not much to photograph. There is new growth, lots of flowers, a few pods developing and that’s about it. The seedlings are coming along fine, MoA’s have second set of leaves forming and I’m going to see if they can handle a full day of sun. I’ve only been giving them diffused sun but that’s been a good week now.

Well anyhow while working on the peppers this giant Swallowtail Black & Yellow butterfly lands on my pepper plant that I’m working on. She allows me to gently touch her for a few minutes and then flies off. The butterfly had a slightly torn left wing like one my son rescued two days earlier. I ran in to get the camera but she was gone. It has been really windy lately and it must have been knocked off it’s flight path and tore its left wing.

When I finally made it inside, I looked at some pictures I had take 2 days back, OMG it was the same one! Younger boy (#2) had picked it off the ground, gave it plenty of flowers for hopeful nourishment and set it on one of our white birds of paradise that was wind protected. When he comes home from school today I doubt he’ll believe me as I did not get a picture of it now flying. Mind you it did not fly for over 24 hours, it stayed on a leaf of the white bird. Now it wasn’t flying perfect today but good enough to make it to different food sources, this was really cool! Below are pictures from 2 days earlier:

2i9pu0.jpg

w99yxx.jpg

hwg3g4.jpg

I like the way you roll Ramon! Get a few swallowtails out here, but mainly Manarchs. In tx we got both by the thousands...fun stuff. Hope my butterfly bush comes back this year. That plus all the other flowers going I should get a fair amount of visitors! Chili looks good man...got me dreaming of lunch already.

I like the way you roll Ramon!
Back at ya for sure!

Get a few swallowtails out here, but mainly Manarchs. In tx we got both by the thousands...fun stuff. Hope my butterfly bush comes back this year. That plus all the other flowers going I should get a fair amount of visitors! Chili looks good man...got me dreaming of lunch already.
That sounds awesome, we do get monarch butterfly’s but probably not as many as you. I saw one the other day but I believe we get more in summer or warmer weather. For us, that’s right around corner. From what I’ve seen of your grow, you shouldn’t have any problems getting that butterfly bush to come back, you got magic hands mon ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ yea I know the song but that’s for your wife to sing you :D Thanks for the chili comment, I pass on to the better half, enjoy lunch and have a great day!

Back