smokers Weber Smokers

HigherThisHeat said:
Good read that was. Why never sand? The results didn't seem very far off from using water.

A couple things I know about sand in the water pan.
1. You have to foil your pan because the sand will eventually become a solid piece, like concrete.
2. Sand is only good for short cooks, after a couple hours, after it is heated through, it will radiate heat, not absorb.

Leave it at the beach! lol

The Hot Pepper said:

A couple things I know about sand in the water pan.
1. You have to foil your pan because the sand will eventually become a solid piece, like concrete.
2. Sand is only good for short cooks, after a couple hours, after it is heated through, it will radiate heat, not absorb. 
Yes very much the case, have you seen it after lightning hits it? Also most sand is not 100% sand, I always find weird stuff in it when I use it to top plants. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yes very much the case, have you seen it after lightning hits it? Also most sand is not 100% sand, I always find weird stuff in it when I use it to top plants. 

The sand here is feces ... literally.

The #1 rated beach in the world - feces.

Water or dry. No sand!

Also 2 Brinkmann charcoal (not water) pans (one inside the other, they are stackable) bolted together creates an air barrier that helped deflect direct heat, this used to be called the Piedmont Mod, but I don't know if it still fits Webers, they periodically change their specs.

Some say you can get a similar air barrier with heavy duty foil sealed tight over the water pan. So next time you foil, try it. Not just to protect the water pan, but to create an air barrier. Hey, it's a mod you are already doing, so maybe it's one of those "do it anyway, just in case it helps" things. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Water or dry. No sand!

Also 2 Brinkmann charcoal (not water) pans (one inside the other, they are stackable) bolted together creates an air barrier that helped deflect direct heat, this used to be called the Piedmont Mod, but I don't know if it still fits Webers, they periodically change their specs.

Some say you can get a similar air barrier with heavy duty foil sealed tight over the water pan. So next time you foil, try it. Not just to protect the water pan, but to create an air barrier. Hey, it's a mod you are already doing, so maybe it's one of those "do it anyway, just in case it helps" things. 
I have seen the bigger pan mod still for this model WSM. I think I am 90% happy and after this next cook hope to be 99% with recent mods...then it will be set it and forget it! 

If I get one of these my mods will be more than the WSM...last mod I would do however ;)

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometer-reviews?field_manufacturer_thermo_target_id=All&field_thermometer_function_tid[]=59&sort_by=weight&sort_order=ASC

f209c50193b276262fb3d4e2a69ec5ab.jpg

Mud flaps on a Camaro would be cool and it would be a mud barrier between the road and the car.
Wouldn't have to clean the fender wells as often.

Back