• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wegman's Fresno

bigt said:
Really? I figured if they were solid red, they had to be ripe. Always seemed like my green Jalapenos were just as hot as the red ones. I like the flavor though, so even if they aren't any hotter I wouldn't mind that much.

IME chiles get hotter and more flavorfull if you keep them on the plant as long as you possibly can, up to the point where they actually start to dry out or go bad.

I might be fooling myself though - THAT has happened before;) But compare the tomatoes at a supermarket with toms you grow yourself. The first ones are usually picked green and turn red "just in time" for their delivery, but the ones you grow yourself mature on the plant - which one tastes better? (Yeah, there are other factors to - but play along;) )

Peppers start to lose their heat quickly after ripening, and IMO they are a little hotter before all the sugars develop(before fully mature)

POTAWIE said:
Peppers start to lose their heat quickly after ripening, and IMO they are a little hotter before all the sugars develop(before fully mature)

That might be because the tastebuds enjoy the sweet fruity flavour which would then offset the perception of heat.

RE: Wegman's Fresno Update - Planted 5 seeds May 2nd. Two germinated today. I'm going to try and grow 3 plants in one of those 36" long rectangular planters. They will be getting daylight in my garage starting now.

I found some pods at Wal-Mart. Good pepper. Had to give the seeds a try.

Fresno01.jpg

I think you're gonna enjoy growing them.

Captain Murphy said:

I think you're gonna enjoy growing them.

I planted 4, not 5, and all 4 are up and running. They are already outside enjoying the fresh air and growing fast. LOL - one day old and getting hardened. They look to be extremely healthy. Pro-Mix BX is amazing for seed starting, I'll never use anything else again.

There are so many good soilless mixes out there but I prefer pro-mix pgx for seed starting and then pro-mix bx, promix mvp, lambert mix, fafard mix or other similar mixes for established plants, or I mix my own peat/perlite/vermiculite/lime.

Captain Murphy said:

I also got my Fresno seeds from Wal Mart pods. In fact, I bought them when they were unlabeled in the bins and kept checking back to see what type they were. A nice mild pepper that was like a small, red, pointy jalapeno in appearance.

POTAWIE said:
There are so many good soilless mixes out there but I prefer pro-mix pgx for seed starting and then pro-mix bx, promix mvp, lambert mix, fafard mix or other similar mixes for established plants, or I mix my own peat/perlite/vermiculite/lime.

I haven't seen the Pro-Mix PGX around here, but I'm not sure if I would pay extra for a specific seed starting mix as the BX works great for me and is relatively inexpensive. Powtawie - do you think the straight Premier Pro-Moss needs any added lime? I've been putting a pinch in when I've been making up my new pots with a little BX mixed in with the straight peat. Anyway, the Wegman's Fresno seeds set a record for me in terms of speed to garden. Purchased peppers on April 29 and dried seeds for a few days. Planted them May 2 and they germinated May 9th and went outside. Already hardened and are up potted today. Here's a few pics of the babies.

These 3 went in a 36' long rectangular planter.
picture007sm.jpg

This guy is loving the good life in his own 4 gallon pot.
picture003sm.jpg

I always add dolomitic lime when I make my own peat based mixes, otherwise I have to pay closer attention to the pH of my source water(+nutes), and the dolomitic lime is also a great source for magnesium.

POTAWIE said:
I always add dolomitic lime when I make my own peat based mixes, otherwise I have to pay closer attention to the pH of my source water(+nutes), and the dolomitic lime is also a great source for magnesium.

OK - cool. Thanks. The plants with the peat mix are doing just as good, if not better than the straight Pro-Mix plants. The peat/pro-mix plants also got a good shot of Tomato Tone whereas the Pro-Mix plants just got Osmocote. Time will tell.

Growth update on Wegman's Fresno. All 4 plants doing well - the best is in the 4 gallon. I'm looking forward to this one. I'll update again when it's bigger.

fresnojune12009.jpg

Back