• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Went out to purchase Defcon sauce, came back with Daves Ghost Pepper.....

After reading that the Defcon sauces were widely available at Central Market we decided to head over there and pick some up for a dinner of chicken wings. I got there and scoured the shelves and no sign of any of them. I asked an employee who was really helpful and he confirmed that they did have it at one point but kind of sounded like he hadn't seen in there for a while. I was disappointed as I haven't yet tried Defcon's stuff and was looking forward to it.

Upon checking the selection I noticed some of the Daves variety. I checked the Ghost Chili ingredients and saw extract. I put it back on the shelf and looked at the Habanero bottle...extract again. Well extract or not I had been wanting to try Daves for a while and I wasn't going home empty handed so I purchased a bottle of the Ghost Pepper sauce.

En route home I stopped to get a chicken sandwich from Wendys, I spread a little sauce on the bun and enjoyed it. The taste of the sauce alone is okay but not great, or even good to my taste buds. It would be fine spread lightly on a burger or chicken patty but it's not something I would spread liberally over food because of the taste. Like I said, I thought it was okay.

Later on I made a make shift curry with the few ingredients that I'd got left from Saturdays meal and I used Daves to add heat as I was out of fresh peppers.

Maybe I'll try a different Central Market and call ahead next time.

I've no idea, I just checked those two as I mainly purchase Habanero sauces, I didn't look at anything else. You may be right.

Do they make anything extract free?
Most around here seem to immediately dismiss ANY sauce with extract in it. If used correctly (like in our #1 wing sauce) you can't taste it. Don't just dismiss anything with extract just because you tasted something that rivaled a greasy boot. It's like dismissing baby back ribs because you didn't like the McRib at McDonalds.

HmmmmI feel lucky that I witnessed the unedited version. That must be rarer than some of your limited edition sauces.

Quick question....what causes a lot of extract based sauces to taste so bad? Though that's rather subjective, it seems to be a common opinion.

Explain what is non-natural about extracts if they are extracted utilizing an all-natural process. If you squeeze an orange, is the juice an extract?

Well, if I were to make a "Yellow Fatalii" hot sauce it starts with and ends with "Yellow Fatalii" peppers. I may remove the seeds, but that's optional. I'm not a company or a business owner. I would spare no expense to make the best sauce that I could. I'm only talking about a couple of cases for personal consumption.

The million dollar question is… why do you use extract in the first place? What tremendous quality does it bring to the product that couldn't be made with fresh pepper pods?

I have never read a post with "extract" and "love" in the same sentence. You stated earlier that most members here prefer extract free sauces.

I apologize if somehow I offended you and or your products…that never was my intension!!

Reactions: Ela
Quick question....what causes a lot of extract based sauces to taste so bad? Though that's rather subjective, it seems to be a common opinion.
A vast majority of extracts are chemically extracted. The process is quite well-known on this forum.

"The million dollar question is… why do you use extract in the first place? What tremendous quality does it bring to the product that couldn't be made with fresh pepper pods?"

Why do I use extracts? With our Zero, which is a straight extract/reduction, it's a passion. I pat myself on the back because they don't taste bad, unlike popular opinion that ALL extracts taste bad.

"I have never read a post with "extract" and "love" in the same sentence. You stated earlier that most members here prefer extract free sauces."
Keep reading...Yeah. most people prefer, but talk to those that have had our all-natural extract. They will tell you differently.

"I apologize if somehow I offended you and or your products…that never was my intension!!"

No offense taken, I assure you. I just pride myself on our all-natural extract. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

So.... does this Dave's ghost sauce taste as nasty and ass-like as his other "gourmet" sauces?

I won't ever buy another daves "gourmet" product again.... I swear, I am still trying to get that shiddy taste out of my mouth...

Back