• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Went out to purchase Defcon sauce, came back with Daves Ghost Pepper.....

Threads like this always crack me up. To me, extract sauces are just fine...WHEN USED ACCORDINGLY. People who smother Dave's onto a sandwich or use it as a dipping sauce are akin to a person who has never tried lemonade, tries it for the first time out of a concentrated can, and declares lemonade is gross. They're like "Ooh, lemonade. I've always wanted to try this." *looks at directions* "Mix with such and such quarts of water, yada yada. No time for that. I want lemonade NOW!" *eats a frozen concentrated lemonade chunk from the can* "HOLY SHIT THAT'S FOUL! LEMONADE IS NASTY! HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE LIKE LEMONADE??? DON'T BUY LEMONADE!!!"

There's a reason why extract sauces have warnings that say "use one drop at a time." THAT'S the intended purpose of these sauces, folks. When used a couple drops at a time to heat up soups, sauces, etc (my favorite thing is to add a few drops of Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce to a tub of hummus) taste is typically not sacrificed and it heats up the food quite nicely.

People like us demand more heat from our sauces. That's where sauces like Defcon, THSC's line, etc come in. But that doesn't mean extract sauces don't have their own time and place.

I'm not sure. I found with the two or three that I've tried the taste of the food is altered very quickly even with just a little bit. Maybe there are others that would work much better though?

I visited Central Market today and once again, not a sniff of the Defcon sauces. I did however come back with some Melindas Habanero and Iguana Atomic Habanero. Have yet to sample either of them but for $3 each I thought it was worth a shot.

Good catch.

It amazes me how cheap you can pick up these more mainstream sauces for. I love the Louisiana Hot Sauce and buy it in the big 12oz bottles for $1.25 from Walmart!! How does anyone make a profit on that?

I would agree... it doesn't matter if it is a giant, greasy, steaming, Marmaduke triple-coiler pile on the summer sidewalk or a tiny paris hilton wannabe purse poodle pile on fine china.... if you scraped it up and put it in your mouth, you'd probably find that shit still tastes like shit... it just means one has bigger chunks of corn.... and you exercise your jaw a bit more chewing it down

I tried Daves Insanity Sauce... before I even had that much tolerance to the pepper heat... so I had very little.... it tastes like ass.... and from what I imagine... horrible sweaty hobo ass tastes like.....

I barely did the drop... since then I've tried hiding it in things to mask the rancid taste and heat up things like sauces, meat and bean chili, etc... every time I taste it when I add enough to get a bit of heat.... now since I've moved on to hotter sauces I need more of it to get the heat so it is even worse...

I've tried putting it in different things to possibly mask the taste.. but every time it comes through... and what's worse that stuff while not even as hot as some super hot sauces I've had since, Dave's anus-extract sauce always makes my stomach churn when the sometimes hotter natural sauces don't have the same effect.

Perhaps some of the other Dave or other extract turd-squeezings have less of a nasty taste... but I'm not wasting my money on those products again

I'm not sure. I found with the two or three that I've tried the taste of the food is altered very quickly even with just a little bit. Maybe there are others that would work much better though?

Hey ringside did you ask someone at cm in dallas they sell it here at cm houston sitting right on the top shelf, need me to mail you some?

Wondertwin.....I asked upon my first visit hunting for it and they told me that they had it at one point but hadn't seen it there for a while. Looks like I missed out.

Thanks so much for offering to send some but if I go down the mail order / snail mail route I should probably order it direct from Defcon...seems like the right thing to do! lol. Thanks again though, that's very gracious of you!

I would agree... it doesn't matter if it is a giant, greasy, steaming, Marmaduke triple-coiler pile on the summer sidewalk or a tiny paris hilton wannabe purse poodle pile on fine china.... if you scraped it up and put it in your mouth, you'd probably find that shit still tastes like shit... it just means one has bigger chunks of corn.... and you exercise your jaw a bit more chewing it down

I tried Daves Insanity Sauce... before I even had that much tolerance to the pepper heat... so I had very little.... it tastes like ass.... and from what I imagine... horrible sweaty hobo ass tastes like.....

I barely did the drop... since then I've tried hiding it in things to mask the rancid taste and heat up things like sauces, meat and bean chili, etc... every time I taste it when I add enough to get a bit of heat.... now since I've moved on to hotter sauces I need more of it to get the heat so it is even worse...

I've tried putting it in different things to possibly mask the taste.. but every time it comes through... and what's worse that stuff while not even as hot as some super hot sauces I've had since, Dave's anus-extract sauce always makes my stomach churn when the sometimes hotter natural sauces don't have the same effect.

Perhaps some of the other Dave or other extract turd-squeezings have less of a nasty taste... but I'm not wasting my money on those products again

Wow, I love a good nerd fight about chile peppers and extract. Been a while since I posted in this forum, so here I can jump in with both feet.

Z, I don't know what your issue with Dave's products are. I really don't. Having met the man in person, and discussed his products, he definitely has a dedication to make quality stuff. However, even he acknowledges that the Insanity sauce is a niche item...and was truly a novelty when it was first introduced to the marketplace a about 20 or so years ago. It was the first extract sauce I had ever tried, and I was too busy worried about the burning in my mouth to even CARE how it tasted. Perhaps you have the tolerance to discriminate a whole bunch of taste in extracts. Bully for you.

That said, all extract sauces are not created equal. You can go and look up the differences in ketone vs. ethanol vs. acetonitrile extraction processes, but those differences are merely academic for the most part. Ask DEFCON Creator about them, and he can give you a better breakdown than I could. I know that I generally disdain extract sauces, especially ones ketone-extracted, because they make my stomach cramp after I reach a certain threshold of consumption. That said, stuff like the DEFCON 1 sauce is one that I have eaten liberally without fanfare.

You don't like Dave's Insanity Sauce...we get it. Hating on products with that kind of venom is unbecoming, even in a forum such as this. If you like the superhot sauces and want to dabble in the extracts, ask for some suggestions of stuff you can try that might fit the taste profile you want. With the ghost pepper and Trinidad Scorpion sauces being (or becoming) quite popular, those are ones you can try and get all the heat of many extract sauces, all while being totally extract-free.

As for Dave's, his Hurtin' Habanero hot sauce and Hurtin' Habanero Honey Mustard are 2 of his best products, IMHO. Check 'em out.

You can't base your opinion on extract sauces on your experience with daves. To me, he has some of the most disgusting extract sauces out there. I suggest you try defcons, won't even know it is in there. He has some of the best wing sauces, won multiple awards. :D

Yeah, I'm sure there are probably plenty of sauces with extract which are ok... I just find Dave's "gourmet" sauces to be anything but gourmet.... I hated the insanity sauce and everyone I've given it to also hate it (I give it to people so I can get rid of it!)

I tried some other Dave's "gourmet" sauce... forget which as a friend had it.. but it too was horrible and not all that hot.. so I don't think it is the only extract that ruins his products completely....

The flavor is the issue I have with Dave's.... it has a horrible taste even with very little added to food... I think Dave's chemical extract just makes an already bad product worse...

The Insanity sauce is close in heat to some of the super hot pepper natural sauces but not close in taste... like I say perhaps it is partly Daves crap extract.. or perhaps he just puts crap ingredients in it as his base... whatever it is it is nasty.... my guess is he puts crappy ingredients together and then adds a crappy extract making it even crappier... maybe he has some products that have a better collection of ingredients extract or not, but what I have tried were baaad

I'm sure there are decent extract sauces out there (I really like Marie Sharp's Beware which is said to have a form of extract in it but the base is good and the extract is more of a condensed product and not so much as a chemical processed heat and it tastes good) I'll probably try the Defcon sauces sometime soon as I hear they taste good.

From the bottle I STILL have in my fridge and whatever Dave's sauce it was a friend of mine had both were horrible, I found Dave's "gourmet" sauces are anything but gourmet... extract or no... so I am not going to waste any cash on his other crap products, even if there is a chance he might have a somewhat decent tasting sauce somewhere in his lineup... this doesn't rule out all extract sauces.. just Dave's so called "gourmet" sauces for me ... twice bitten by Dave's...3rd time? no way in hell...

"Dave" might be the greatest person out there... I'm still not going to ingest anymore of his product... there are sooooo many superior tasting products with quality ingredients out there now

You can't base your opinion on extract sauces on your experience with daves. To me, he has some of the most disgusting extract sauces out there. I suggest you try defcons, won't even know it is in there. He has some of the best wing sauces, won multiple awards. :D

Yeah, I'm sure there are probably plenty of sauces with extract which are ok... I just find Dave's "gourmet" sauces to be anything but gourmet.... I hated the insanity sauce and everyone I've given it to also hate it (I give it to people so I can get rid of it!)

I tried some other Dave's "gourmet" sauce... forget which as a friend had it.. but it too was horrible and not all that hot.. so I don't think it is the only extract that ruins his products completely....

The flavor is the issue I have with Dave's.... it has a horrible taste even with very little added to food... I think Dave's chemical extract just makes an already bad product worse...

The Insanity sauce is close in heat to some of the super hot pepper natural sauces but not close in taste... like I say perhaps it is partly Daves crap extract.. or perhaps he just puts crap ingredients in it as his base... whatever it is it is nasty.... my guess is he puts crappy ingredients together and then adds a crappy extract making it even crappier... maybe he has some products that have a better collection of ingredients extract or not, but what I have tried were baaad

I'm sure there are decent extract sauces out there (I really like Marie Sharp's Beware which is said to have a form of extract in it but the base is good and the extract is more of a condensed product and not so much as a chemical processed heat and it tastes good) I'll probably try the Defcon sauces sometime soon as I hear they taste good.

From the bottle I STILL have in my fridge and whatever Dave's sauce it was a friend of mine had both were horrible, I found Dave's "gourmet" sauces are anything but gourmet... extract or no... so I am not going to waste any cash on his other crap products, even if there is a chance he might have a somewhat decent tasting sauce somewhere in his lineup... this doesn't rule out all extract sauces.. just Dave's so called "gourmet" sauces for me ... twice bitten by Dave's...3rd time? no way in hell...

"Dave" might be the greatest person out there... I'm still not going to ingest anymore of his product... there are sooooo many superior tasting products with quality ingredients out there now

The only thing his sauces got going for them is there heat. The problem there is when you go to mix it in something, that disgusting extract flavor comes through. It is almost impossible to mask. He is a really nice guy, just think he lost his sense of taste from all the hot sauce. :lol:

Wow, I love a good nerd fight about chile peppers and extract. Been a while since I posted in this forum, so here I can jump in with both feet.

Z, I don't know what your issue with Dave's products are. I really don't. Having met the man in person, and discussed his products, he definitely has a dedication to make quality stuff. However, even he acknowledges that the Insanity sauce is a niche item...and was truly a novelty when it was first introduced to the marketplace a about 20 or so years ago. It was the first extract sauce I had ever tried, and I was too busy worried about the burning in my mouth to even CARE how it tasted. Perhaps you have the tolerance to discriminate a whole bunch of taste in extracts. Bully for you.

That said, all extract sauces are not created equal. You can go and look up the differences in ketone vs. ethanol vs. acetonitrile extraction processes, but those differences are merely academic for the most part. Ask DEFCON Creator about them, and he can give you a better breakdown than I could. I know that I generally disdain extract sauces, especially ones ketone-extracted, because they make my stomach cramp after I reach a certain threshold of consumption. That said, stuff like the DEFCON 1 sauce is one that I have eaten liberally without fanfare.

You don't like Dave's Insanity Sauce...we get it. Hating on products with that kind of venom is unbecoming, even in a forum such as this. If you like the superhot sauces and want to dabble in the extracts, ask for some suggestions of stuff you can try that might fit the taste profile you want. With the ghost pepper and Trinidad Scorpion sauces being (or becoming) quite popular, those are ones you can try and get all the heat of many extract sauces, all while being totally extract-free.

As for Dave's, his Hurtin' Habanero hot sauce and Hurtin' Habanero Honey Mustard are 2 of his best products, IMHO. Check 'em out.

No kidding :shocked: I and a lot of people I know happen to like Dave's sauces as well as other brands. Maybe like the wild game taste with deer meat...some are not bothered by it while others need it soaked out. Of course everyone has their opinions, but to reference it to someone's arse as describing taste?? Really? Wow! :/

The need to jump on a soapbox with full blown paragraphs of hate and all kinds of references to 'poo', just to pretty much say 'you don't like a sauce', is extreme, IMO. I'm pretty sure those posts aren't going to put Dave out of business and or 'sway the masses' to not try his products. I am looking forward to trying Defcon's products and will keep it pretty simple if I don't like them....I'm sure it won't come to that though.

No kidding :shocked: I and a lot of people I know happen to like Dave's sauces as well as other brands. Maybe like the wild game taste with deer meat...some are not bothered by it while others need it soaked out. Of course everyone has their opinions, but to reference it to someone's arse as describing taste?? Really? Wow! :/

The need to jump on a soapbox with full blown paragraphs of hate and all kinds of references to 'poo', just to pretty much say 'you don't like a sauce', is extreme, IMO. I'm pretty sure those posts aren't going to put Dave out of business and or 'sway the masses' to not try his products. I am looking forward to trying Defcon's products and will keep it pretty simple if I don't like them....I'm sure it won't come to that though.

Maturity has a lot to do with it.

I can express myself in short concise statements, some cannot.

Maturity has a lot to do with it.

I can express myself in short concise statements, some cannot.

Maturity has nothing to do with it. Everyone expresses themselves in different ways. That's the great thing about the united states, freedom of speech. If you express yourself that way, good for you. Doesn't make you any better then anyone else in here.

Maturity has nothing to do with it. Everyone expresses themselves in different ways. That's the great thing about the united states, freedom of speech. If you express yourself that way, good for you. Doesn't make you any better then anyone else in here.

You're absolutely right. Being hateful or nasty in your reviews doesn't make you better than anyone else.

It does, however, make you petty, juvenile, uncouth, and a whole bunch of other adjectives that I could choose to describe that are less-than-positive. Immature might be the nicest thing that I could say about some of it, and that's not remotely good either.

If that's the way someone wants to come across, then fine. Just don't expect anyone to be impressed by it, or pat you on the back for doing so.

- Joe

You're absolutely right. Being hateful or nasty in your reviews doesn't make you better than anyone else.

It does, however, make you petty, juvenile, uncouth, and a whole bunch of other adjectives that I could choose to describe that are less-than-positive. Immature might be the nicest thing that I could say about some of it, and that's not remotely good either.

If that's the way someone wants to come across, then fine. Just don't expect anyone to be impressed by it, or pat you on the back for doing so.

- Joe

Well said. Also, having Freedom of speech doesn't mean that great and wonderful things come ones way for it. Example, someone has a right to yell fire in a movie theater or bomb on a plane (just because they have a right, NOT because there really is a fire or a bomb).... doesn't mean that person will get the key to the city or a bridge named after them for exercising their,,,, freedom of speech. Just saying.

I think we are spending way too much time worrying about one person's opinion. It is just that, an opinion. Dave was/is a pioneer in the hot sauce world. Heck, Insanity was the gateway sauce for me to really hot sauces, and I have had thousands now. It still has a special place in my heart. If I don't like a sauce, I generally try to find some use for it and some good in it. If I cannot, I don't review it. Kind of the old adage, if you can't say something nice... We all like hot stuff here, but we are human and we are certainly not going to all like the same things. Personal attacks on the manufacturers of sauces OR the people who don't like those sauces are really unnecessary and irrelevant. If you don't like it don't eat it. At the most you're out ten bucks. Let's move along.

Well said. Also, having Freedom of speech doesn't mean that great and wonderful things come ones way for it. Example, someone has a right to yell fire in a movie theater or bomb on a plane (just because they have a right, NOT because there really is a fire or a bomb).... doesn't mean that person will get the key to the city or a bridge named after them for exercising their,,,, freedom of speech. Just saying.

I never said people will be rewarded for speaking there mind. I am just tired of people getting up in arms if something is said they don't agree with. Everyone's opinions will be different. If he wants to say daves doesn't taste good to him that's ok. No need to attack him because of the way he expresses himself.

Back