• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What are some sought after pepper varieties

Jalapeno, seriously, most people dont know any of the fancy superhots so some of the most profitable are the best well known.

Habernero, Serrano, Tepin, Naga. That's what i would offer them. I would probably grow Fatalii too seeing as they produce heaps.

millworkman said:
Jalapeno, seriously, most people dont know any of the fancy superhots so some of the most profitable are the best well known.

Have to agree there. Many people are comfortable with Jalapenos due to having eaten a few as "poppers" in some restaurant. You could get their attention with the Jalapenos and then broaden their experience with the additional offerings, quite possibly creating more pepper heads!

Anybody who watches "Man vs Food" would want the Ghost Pepper - Bhut Jolokia. Jalapenos are great, but you can buy them here for $1-2 pound. Sell Bhuts to restaurants or at any farmers markets. AJ or Cappy would probably be familiar with what you can price them.

I wish I could have seen that episode of Man Vs Food. LOL Yeah, most people dont even know super hots past habaneros even exist, which is truely sad.

I like how alot of people refer to bhut jolokia as the ghost pepper and i know that translates to ghost in indian
one of my friends supposidly ate a ghost pepper the other day. seems to be catching on. you might want to try like carribean red habanero's seeing alot of people know of habaneros

Matt50680 said:
I wish I could have seen that episode of Man Vs Food. LOL Yeah, most people dont even know super hots past habaneros even exist, which is truely sad.

matt-
here's a site that has Man-v-Food in addition to TONS of tv shows, whole series of shows, some going back 5 years.

http://www.casttv.com/shows

This site has TONS of TV shows, and some off of channels like Food Network and History. They also have prime time shows almost immediately after they air, unlike HULU which sometimes doesn't post the show for a week after it airs.

Most episodes are free, occasionally some cost $. I'm watching NUMB3RS from the beginning right now, 5 seasons of free episodes and maybe 4-5 episodes that are pay-per-view.

The only funky thing is, you can watch about 1 1/2 episodes, and then you get timed out for 55 minutes. Then you can go back on, finish the episode and watch the next one, then get timed out for 55 minutes. But for FREE.....I'm not complaining! And sometimes, it gets a glitch and i don't get timed out so I can watch a show marathon of back to back episodes. :)

here's a link to the Man-vs-Food show, Boston is the bhut jolokia episode. Unfortunately, I see it is a "pay" episode. I think it costs $.99 at itunes or amazon.

http://www.casttv.com/shows/man-v-food

Jalapenos, Orange Habs, Hungarian Hot Wax, Tabasco.
IMHO, those would sell best. Everyone knows them and it won't scare people off.

knowing your market is probably the first thing you shud identify.........

on a generalized sense ...... even in Trinidad......... most of the people only know of two types of peppers......... Congo (Caribbean hab) and pimentos......... they only talk about 7 pot (few actually grow and use them)........ and even fewer know about scorpion ...... far less for bhuts etc...........

most of the farmers here usually go to large scale seedling suppliers on the island and buy trays of Red, Orange and Yellow congos.......... and that's it........ CARDI has done some work to try introducing other varieties.... but no one has really gone into large scale with the other varieties........ congos sell for like 5 peppers for $1 TTD (1 USD = 6.35 TTD)

Nice red Jalapenos are my number one seller, followed by Orange Habs. Most of the screamers are bought as a novelty, but I can get a lot more money (per piece) for them. ALOT of chefs are cooking with super hots now so the market is slowing changing for me

I'm in Connectcut.

Jalapenos go for $3 at the grocery store here.

I cuurently have like 30+ kinds of tomatoes

for peppers I have Jamaican Choc

cali wonder
jalapeno M
Salsa Hybrid for peppers

I'm thinking of ordering a bunch of plants for chiliplants, and then replanting the suckers to gain more.

Boston and NYC and between me about 90mins each way so that'd be a huge market for me. I also see chiliplants.com sells outta peppers and plants really fast too. So I guess the market is there.

Anything you have that is really hot. Call it 'Ghost Pepper' and sell it for a price that will make you feel guilty.

we will find out what the season has in store over the next 3 weeks...at least in my neck of the woods we will...

going to go to first monday in Weaherford and see who wants peppers...did pretty good last year and I hope to have some repeat customers....

I am taking mostly the annuums I have started for the general public, Billy Biker Jalapeno, Jalapeno M, Sweet Banana, and Serrano....then I will add a few trays of the superhots, then a few trays of habanero type...I have cayenne coming off and some scotch bonnets too but they are not ready yet...

good luck all in this growing season...

I'd go with mostly mild/medium annuum peppers since most people would never use super-hott peppers and those that do don't usually go through pounds of them. Maybe try some ripe Anaheims, jalapenos, fresno, or serranos, and for something hotter Scotch bonnets are usually very popular

I would base my crop on the amount of space I have to dedicate to growing for sales. If you have several acres and will be producing hundreds of lbs of peppers you want to grow something that you can
sell to everyone like jalapeno's and large stuffing peppers. Even at $1-2 a lb if you have hundreds of pounds your going to make a little money. If you only have
a small grow space I would go after the hard to find exotic pepper like the Jolokia's and sell them for around $10.00 a pound. You might even also considering
finding a few local restaurants before you start growing and see what they would be interested in buying and if you setup some type of agreement for them. I have a friend
who is a chef who loves the Ahi Lemon and i'm dedicating a few plants just for her. Since these are not common peppers she is more than happy to pay a good price for them.

I would go the super hot route and market it that way with the intention of your target audience being the 30 somethings. "100 times hotter than Jalapeno", "only the brave would try", "dare your buddies" - push their ego buttons.

I only have a few hundred feet to use, so I was thinking the farmer's markets and doing some exotics for some local restaurants. have quite a few Indian and Asian restaurants in the area too.

Back