• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you guys think of this watch?

Oh, I usually do mine on Ebay, but you have to be careful. Many Ebay sellers are totally innacurate regarding the crystal composition.

Also there is a good place named bluedial.com. You won't find too many sapphire models in the US though.

A foreign guy who can be trusted is the sky Watch guy http://www.skywatchdealers.com/watches/index.php

You won't get the warranty on the foreign ones though, ONLY the US models sold through an AUTHORIZED dealer. I believe Bluedial is auth and you will get the 5 year S warranty. Citizen has a good warranty and they are the best regarding warranty service, in my experience.

Look for a good chronograph model. Simply having many buttons and subdials does not equal a chronograph. A chronograph is a watch that tells time and has a stopwatch built in, with subdials that count minutes and hours. The large seconds hand is usually the chronograph seconds counter and there is an extra subdial for the true minutes counter -for the timekeeping. Great for timing trips, cooking, boring work meetings, etc...

The one I traded away because it had a mineral crystal was this chronograph eco drive made of Titanium. I loved it, but I think the Sky guy carries the sapphire crystal version (the titanium model with this exact dial)

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

I tend to like a nice Heavy watch, something with some weight to it. I am quite large though 6'2" 350 lbs. Here is my watch:

watch.jpg

Oh I'm about the same size, a bit shorter at ~6'.

I have large heavy watches and light watches. I don't know what that Fossil is made of, but I swore off fashion watches (and no offense I am not trying to be insulting, it looks pretty cool) because they are just not built to the standard that I desire. Usually they are not really stainless steel, but some cheap base metal plated with something and my acidic sweat would eat through it and it would pit, turn green, and then stink a sour smell - and turn my wrist green too.

I need either surgical steel or Titanium. Also, I prefer "old" watch brands, like Breitling, Omega, Rolex, IWC, Panerai, Citizen, Seiko - or newer but very well built brands - like Timefactors, Deep Blue, Enzo Mechana, etc...

I also stick to mechanical or in the case of citizen or seiko eco drive (solar) or kinetic quartz, or Swiss Made quartz watches.

One brand that is made of steel, really heavy, uses Citizen Miyota mechanical movements inside, AND are priced nice, are Deep Blue. Very large and heavy if you like that sort of thing.

http://deepbluewatches.com/

I'd love to try one but can't right now. $400 is dirt cheap for a well built steel dive watch with sapphire crystal. (not a diver? think sport watch on steroids)

yhst-11234668104341_2051_39287147

They even have a quartz chronograph version for $299.

yhst-11234668104341_2051_16031182

The thing I hate about non solar or non kinetic quartz, though, is that they have batteries that eventually die and need changing.... It's true that automatic/mechanicals eventually need a watchmaker's service to take apart, clean, and oil the movement, but you can usually stretch it out and they rarely just stop working as happens when a quartz's battery dies.

chillilover said:
Worlok, your 350lbs? Doesn't look like it in you pic.

Probably about 330 or so. Yeah, pic is deceiving, but I was about the same weight when that pic was taken. Pic is a few years old.

worlok said:
Probably about 330 or so. Yeah, pic is deceiving, but I was about the same weight when that pic was taken. Pic is a few years old.

It's just that peoples faces are usually fatter being that big. Unless it's all muscle?:shocked:

chillilover said:
It's just that peoples faces are usually fatter being that big. Unless it's all muscle?:shocked:

Oh no it ain't all muscle. I wish it were so. I do have some facial fat, and some under the chin. It just doesn't show in that pic - great angle, etc...

But, I am 6 ft tall, and I have huge leg muscles, and I used to weight lift and wrestle. I am a fat guy, but I am a strong muscular fat guy, if that makes any sense. I have broad shoulders and am stocky built, then that layer of fat. I really do not eat as much as you would think. Last night I ate the same dinner as my 9 year old skinny son - two of those small lamb chops and grilled asparagus. Really. Life isn't fair. I also chalk some up to stress, not enough sleep, and age (40) - and non active job.

Really, I eat the same lunch as my much smaller friends when we go out, etc. Not fair. Not to say that I can't pack it away at times, but not every day.

Here is mine except I have a leather band - I wanted an everyday watch -- the only downside is leather gets smelly from sweat --

Its a Wenger Military - got it at Cabellas

LUCKYDOG said:
Here is mine except I have a leather band - I wanted an everyday watch -- the only downside is leather gets smelly from sweat --

Its a Wenger Military - got it at Cabellas

Only the top part of the band is leather. The rest looks like a nylon weave. When that one gets all messed up, you can always get either an all nylon, or look for leather straps with rubber backing, called "tropics". ;-)

Might be the way to go my band is all leather and getting aromatic -- Ill look for the "tropics" band -- thanks worlok

LUCKYDOG said:
Might be the way to go my band is all leather and getting aromatic -- Ill look for the "tropics" band -- thanks worlok

You know, you can always take the band off and hand wash it, bro.

LOL I guess - What do I wash leather with -- besides its mind over matter... I dont mind so it dont matter... I just know "it" is funkier than me :lol:

There are people with the "watch sickness", or WIS (watch idiot savant) disease, all over the world. Americas, Europe, Down Under, Asia... It is a worldwide disease, commonly diagnosed by lighter than normal wallets and heavy wrists...

worlok said:
There are people with the "watch sickness", or WIS (watch idiot savant) disease, all over the world. Americas, Europe, Down Under, Asia... It is a worldwide disease, commonly diagnosed by lighter than normal wallets and heavy wrists...

:lol::lol:
I have the same kinda fascination with pocket knives I guess that makes me a PIS

LUCKYDOG said:
:lol::lol:
I have the same kinda fascination with pocket knives I guess that makes me a PIS

There are also people who get hardons for pens. I guess that's also a PIS hardon. :P

So...I decided to return that Citizen Eco Drive and am looking for something simpler for formal occasions. It's between the Citizen and the Seiko now. I'm leaning towards the Citizen since it is sapphire crystal.
Citizen Retrograde Dual Time Eco-Drive BR0070-54A BR0070
BR0070-54A.jpg

or
Seiko SNAB81P1
22427.jpg

I like the Seiko's look -- seems you like that look of the Citizen and all the dialies and sparkly things ... The quartz is always changeable -- I dont think you are going diving or anything with it so water proof is not a biggie but water resistence is key... do either of them light up or glow ?

Back