• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite Baccatum Chili and why?

wayright said:
Some of the Baccy's mentioned here will surprise you with the punch they pack! especially fresh  :P

Baccatums have to be the coolest peppers there are,,the different shapes and colors ,,from Queen Laurie to Champion to Inca Red Drop,,,Blondie,Aji panca,,,Aji Blanco Christal.......
So many beautiful peppers!! Only one I personally dislike is Blondie,,but she is soo damn pretty! 

:cool:
Kevin

I grew the bacc sp limon last year, and I tried the first ripe one with excitement as I had heard such good things about them.  It was indeed sweet, with a very citrusy smell . . . really reminded me of grapefruit scent.  Then, I got smacked with the heat.  Very surprising amount, at least fresh.
I am growing several varieties this year, among them the limon again.  I just noticed over the weekend that I have pod set on the Orchid/Bishop's Crown.  Growing Birgit's, Dedo de Moca, Queen Laurie, Brazilian Starfish, the aforemention limon . . .

You know? Every time I read one of the topics I can hardly get through half the posts before I start getting anxious about baccatums. Did I plant enough different types? do I need to get more types? Have I really been missing out on these all this time?

Wheres my bull whip cause these things aint growing fast enough!!!

just got seeds for a couple of more baccatum varieties today for next season, which brings me to...five?  I think

aji pineapple
blondie
aji de la tierra
orchid
dedo de moca

I've got Brazilian Starfish for my coming season. Can't wait to try one. After reading this thread, it sounds like only good things can come from it. :D

Pr0digal_son said:
Amen! Growing it (Omnicolor)again this season. Was just telling some friends that my plant looks normal now,but in a month it will be the nicest plant in the garden by far. The pods are tasty at all stages. Great plant!

Oh don't tempt me! It took all my will power not to snap off a green aji lemon today. I think I finally have a handful of fullsize pods. My bishops are podding up nicely now too, such a cool shape to them.

Really interesting how the two have such different growth patterns - the lemons are wide and sprawling whil the 3 bishops are all growing tall with much larger leaves. Fascinating stuff, to me at least!

AaronRiot said:

Oh don't tempt me! It took all my will power not to snap off a green aji lemon today. I think I finally have a handful of fullsize pods. My bishops are podding up nicely now too, such a cool shape to them.

Really interesting how the two have such different growth patterns - the lemons are wide and sprawling whil the 3 bishops are all growing tall with much larger leaves. Fascinating stuff, to me at least!

Yeah, they sure do grow differently. I had 2 Lemon Drops at my house in 2012, and one at my mother's. They all grew wide, but the one at my mom's grew about 4 feet tall, and slightly wider than 4 feet, it was an absolute beast. I will have to dig through my 2012 Glog videos and find some good footage of it :)

AaronRiot said:

bishops crown are heavier pods and need stronger stems and a larger plant probably! Definitely wait on the lemons man, green they will be a 3or a 4 yellow the will easily hit 9-9.5 if they were hotter I would probably give them a 10 damn I just love aji lemons!

Two years old bishop's crown overwintered outdoors  - which is a big deal in Croatia where this picture was taken. No ferts used. 1.7 meters tall.

jxherf4.jpg

This topic has made me realize that I need to grow more baccatums! If anyone has baccatum seeds for trade or SASBE please let me know!

Reviving an old thread. Maybe I'm just excited about getting my first pods in the past week, but I picked & ate an Aji Colorado & it was fantastic! I had several baccatums last fall & liked them- Lemon Drop, Pineapple, Rainforest, Brazilian Starfish, Amarillo... and maybe it's hard to remember the comparison, but I think the Aji Colorado was better. Zero soapy taste. Very juicy & clean tasting- like a non-pepper fruit almost- or I guess more like the juiciness of a bell pepper. Heat kicked in a second or two later & was very pleasant. 30,000 SHU, I believe they are. I cut the rest up & put in on a burrito raw. Very very good. Again, it may be the near-euphoria of growing my first peppers from seed & not having fresh pods in a long time, but I completely enjoyed the Aji Colorado & would highly recommend it. Too bad I only put out one plant.

Pictured here with 2 Large Orange Thais:
20150428_172335-1_zpsap3dyckp.jpg

Growing Aji Limon, Pineapple, Crystal, omni color, Lemon drop (think its bac.) , bolsa de dulce, amarillo , criolla sella, champion, Inca berry,  and i'm sure there's a few others. Looking forward to all of them. 

CAPCOM said:
You know? Every time I read one of the topics I can hardly get through half the posts before I start getting anxious about baccatums. Did I plant enough different types? do I need to get more types? Have I really been missing out on these all this time?

Wheres my bull whip cause these things aint growing fast enough!!!

Okay CAPCOM after reading this thread I think I was nearly as eager to hear about your experience with your first Baccatums as you were in having them! lol

Any updates? Any favorites now?

Looking forward to getting pods from the Aji Pineapple, Aji Habanero, Aji Peruvian, Aji Melocoton and Brazilian Starfish I got goin'...

Perhaps we can have a Baccatum Pod Exchange later in the year?  :)

I grew some Aji Lemon last year.  The early-season pods were quite good, but the plant seemed to get soapier as the season progressed.  I think the plant was stressed by too much heat and sun, and possibly over-fertilized as well.  Hope I can do better this year. 

I've got Aji Amarillo, Angelo, Caballero, Colorado, Peruvian, Pineapple, Santa Cruz, and Verde; plus Inca Red Drop, Bishop's Hat, Brazilian Starfish, Rainforest, Cap 267, and Birgit's Locoto on the way! :woohoo:

Trident chilli said:
A few seasons a go I grew "El oro de Ecuador" beautiful plant .. pods hung like jewels but it grew to a very large plant .. tasty yellow pods although thick skinned
I would recommend this variety
That is a nice looking pod, looks tasty

Oh man, great topic! There is so much to say about Capsicum baccatum, but I can sum it up by saying they are SO just fun to grow and eat, straight off of the plant, while standing on the garden, like spicy candy.  :drooling:

Someone back up this thread mentioned the two distinct plant habits of this species: the sprawling habit, such as Aji Lemon, and the upright habit, such as Aji Amarillo. I find the tall plants easier to manage, and tend to grow those varieties…One of those is, in my mind, one of the greatest chiles of all chiles, of all time: the Aji Amarillo, a name which can mean any of several sub-varieties, but I'm talking about the "classic" large-podded, very tall plant. Where I live, in NW Louisiana, it can be very tricky to get ripe fruit from this plant, because it needs a very long season, and a more moderate climate than we have here. I gave up growing it several years ago, but in my mind right now I can taste the crunchy, juicy, sweet, and spicy flavor of this maddeningly wonderful Peruvian chile candy:

AjiAmarillo1.jpg

AjiAmarillo2.jpg

This year I'm growing the excellent Bishop's Crown, from seeds I harvested from pods shared with me last year by fellow Louisiana grower Meathead1313…I was struck by their tantalizing crunchy sweetness as well, and am really looking forward to my first fruit.

I think if I were to recommend only one Capsicum baccatum for the Louisiana climate, a plant with a nice upright habit that would produce well through the hottest of the summer months, give tasty, spicy fruit, and seems to thrive on neglect, I would say Birgit's Locoto, probably the most resilient, productive, and versatile variety of C. baccatum that I've grown:

locoto1.jpg

I kept this Birgit's plant for 3 years before I finally passed it on to another grower. You only need one of these!

birgits1.jpg

Back