• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What to do with extra pepper plants?

So, being my first year growing super hots, every time i saw a super hot seed germinate, i would put it in a tray, they grew well, and then i moved them to cups. Now they are growing all nice and well but i have extras! I'm not sure what i should do with these extra pepper plants? Any ideas? I have extra bhuts, naga morichs, habs, scorps ...

I normally just give extra plants away, everyone plants more than the need just in case of bad germination rates and what not. Though some most people who aren't chileheads don't want the super hots. You could always try selling extra plants locally or over e-bay.

I always find a way to squeeze them in. I’m in the same situation and it looks like I will be expanding my growing area again. My goal was 512 and I’m looking at about 575. 100 will go into buckets and the rest will go in the ground. That’s more pods for the freezer and more powder!!

It’s all good my friend!!

I have been taking my "extras" to work and giving them to coworkers. The fun part is, I did not keep track of what each plant was, so I have no idea who got what. They all know the plants will produce really hot peppers, and if they want to know what they are, they got to bring me a ripe pod. :lol:

I've taken some of my extras to local greenhouses and farmers markets and traded them for other plants.

Once my starts started taking off, I quickly realized that I couldn't keep em all, so I started giving em away as a few have already mentioned and I still have extras. I'm thinking I may use those as "experients". Leaving them in smaller than usual pots to see whether they'll produce anything and/or planting them in areas around my property that I don't think would work for peppers. Things like that. Better than tossing em IMO.

Ain't I one of your friends, Judy? lol
+1 on what SuperHot said. I find a way to either grow them somewhere, or I just give them away.

I always find a way to squeeze them in. I’m in the same situation and it looks like I will be expanding my growing area again. My goal was 512 and I’m looking at about 575. 100 will go into buckets and the rest will go in the ground. That’s more pods for the freezer and more powder!!

It’s all good my friend!!

I do the same thing... always over shoot! I'm still not sure as to where all my plants are going to be put into the ground/buckets/pots/etc but I am still starting seeds and still planning a trip to cross country nurseries in jersey to pick up more!

And I am sure you can easily find some local Texans that wouldn't mind taking a little drive to take the plants off your hands!

xo nicole

you could play johnnie pepperseed

go to the local farmers market and set up a table

only "allow" one plant to a family!

or you could plant them around town on public land

(that has automatic watering) and leave them there and check on them in a few weeks

just do not let the poh - poh see you they will think you be planting the ganja

you could play johnnie pepperseed

go to the local farmers market and set up a table

only "allow" one plant to a family!

or you could plant them around town on public land

(that has automatic watering) and leave them there and check on them in a few weeks

just do not let the poh - poh see you they will think you be planting the ganja
Landscaping crew would probably destroy them since the crews tend to go hand in hand with auto-sprinkler(at least around here).

I am giving my extras to a friend in the city to put on her roof.

The scientist in me says... EXPERIMENT. Try feeding or lighting ideas you might normally be too afraid to do. Go against conventional growing practices, see what the limits are.

Back