• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What to plant in my 20 gallon pot

I have TONS of peppers. but my special baby's are:

Fatalli
Naga Morich
Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion
7 pot
7 pot Jonah
Trinidad perfume
red Carib Hab
Orange hab

I think that is most of the special ones.
Anywho, I have a 20 gallon pot, and I am thinking that will be my mac-daddy plant that I overwinter.

Which variety would you all pick for the special pot?

Thanks Kimmie ;)

Kim

Dependin on how and where you overwinter this beauty you may get to harvest some pepps during the off season. Sooo... even though its not at all one of my favorites it is a good producer...

Im thinkin the orange hab... 2 cents...

Of the choices listed I'd go with the Naga Morich or Bhutt since they can get really big. The fataliis never seem to outgrow my 5 gal pots, and orange habs are just so common and boring to me.
I guess it depends on your personal tastes and plant size/production.

I agree...

my choice would be either one of those as well...

Bhut / Naga

they grow big, and have big stock... good for a 20 gallon container

Ok My Turn (if you don't mind a hijack?)

I have a big 15-20 gallon pot and was wondering what has the biggest height potential out of these.

Fatalii
Tobasco
CHILTEPIN PIMA BAJO
Peter Pepper (orange)
Bhut Jolokia
Chapeu de Frade (baccatum)
Trinidad Scorpion
Peach Lantarn

I will Overwinter this pot inside :)

I'm planting most of my stuff in 3gal and 5 gal containers, but I was wondering the same thing (what special thing to plant) regarding my two 7 Gallon pots. I knew one was going to be Bhut because I saw the picture on the NMSU site. But thanks to Potawie's answer above, my other will be the Bih Jolokia over the Fatalii I was also considering. You can learn a lot of stuff from the folks on this forum.

agree on the Bhut or Naga Morich...I grew Naga Morich in 5 gallon containers last year and they were 6' tall at the end of the season..I can't imagine how tall they would get in a 20 gallon container...

Ya, but imagine what the 7-pots would do in that...crikey!

That Jonah is prolly much more rare too.

All comes down to what do you want more?

I let go of my Bhuts and Savinas last year, because I had Dorsets, Choc. Habs, Bih, and Fatali's to keep me busy...and only so much room :)

FiveSix said:
Ok My Turn (if you don't mind a hijack?)

I have a big 15-20 gallon pot and was wondering what has the biggest height potential out of these.

Fatalii
Tobasco
CHILTEPIN PIMA BAJO
Peter Pepper (orange)
Bhut Jolokia
Chapeu de Frade (baccatum)
Trinidad Scorpion
Peach Lantarn

I will Overwinter this pot inside :)

You might want to do some research on th Chapeau,I'm thinking they get pretty tall and large.Mine is 2' and just starting to flower.It's in a 4 or 5 now and I'm thinking it's going to outgrow that.

Fireangel I think you got your Jonah from me,the mother plant was in a 3 last yeare,a 5 now,probably 20 pods on now.That plant has babies all over the world now!I'm thinking it covered every continant but Africa!

scoville said:
You might want to do some research on th Chapeau,I'm thinking they get pretty tall and large.Mine is 2' and just starting to flower.It's in a 4 or 5 now and I'm thinking it's going to outgrow that.

you're right that's why I'm asking I wanna 10 foot chile plant!, last week the one I have in a drip system was about 1/2 the size (6-8") of the annuum next to it Now it's taller a week later and it's stem is almost have the diameter of a quarter. I wanna get her outside before she outgrows my grow room! At the same time A monster chinense that's bushy and tall would look nicer than a tall lanky oaf

april21029.jpg

I had a thread about pot sizes that I was hoping would end up a sticky as I forget what size to use .

I know that my jalapenos did no better in a 5 gallon than a 1 gallon but nagas did almost nothing in my gallon containers and the ones that were in 5 gallon containers were huge and produced very well.

the 20 gallon may be overkill in any case but maybe 3 to 5 nagas would not only fill the pot but be a good way to keep them from wind damage as well.

Back