• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What tomato would you recommend to someone who doesn't like tomatos

If someone doesn't particularly care for the flavor of tomatos what tomato would you recommend?  

I don't mind a slice of tomato in a burger, but I wouldn't miss it.  Tomatoes are simply not enough flavor for me.  What tomato would you recommend for fresh eating for someone who doesn't like tomatos that you feel would provide the best chance to change that perspective (and why)?

It depends. There are many fantastic heirloom varieties. Most grocery store tomatoes suck. They've been bred to resist this and that which is cool but they've bred the flavor right out of them. Completely flavorless. Winter hot house tomatoes are the absolute worst. Some varieties I've grown that myself and friends/family have really enjoyed are Paul Robeson, Druzba, Goose Creek, Box Car Willie. These are just a few. Deep rich flavor. Great for slicing. Some cherry tomatoes I've grown and been happy with are Coyote and Sunsugar. Both have a very very sweet flavor. I was never a big fan of tomatoes until I started growing my own heirlooms. I try and plant one new variety each year. Fiogga here on THP has been a huge asset in finding new interesting varieties to try.

romy6 said:
 How about a cucumber  :P

Yep... or an avocado. Seriously though, if you want a new appreciation for tomatoes, take a home grown tomato (creole are great for eating), cut it into wedges, generously season it with salt and pepper (or Tony Chachere's creole seasoning for a kick) and eat it like that. C'est bon!

Try a Russian Striped tomato.  Kaleidoscopic yellow/red colored fruits, Low Acid, Fruity flavor.  Goes by name Russian Stripe, Mr. Stripey, etc.    They are a very large tomato and are also great ICE COLD for a breakfast eye-opener with preference of salt or sugar.  

I don't like tomatoes period. Products made from them sure but not the maters themselves. Will probably just grow roma this year for salsa

D3monic said:
I don't like tomatoes period. Products made from them sure but not the maters themselves. Will probably just grow roma this year for salsa
have you tried the good ones from a garden ?

SavinaRed said:
have you tried the good ones from a garden ?

of course, still don't like them. It's more a texture issue than anything. Closest I like is tomatillos and pineapple ground cherries but even then they need to be processed some how. 

When I was 6 I already didn't like them and I reached into the fridge for a snack. Fridge light was out and was dark in kitchen. I grabbed what I thought was a apple and turned out to be a tomato. Took a huge bite and  I threw up a bunch. Every since then I can't stand the texture of them. 

but I can eat them diced in salsa or what ever. Just not stand alone in any way. 

I liked the taste of the pineapple ground cherries just the texture still made me shudder

i hate when people try to convince me of stuff, but ...

imma do it anyways ...

take a well-buttered, toasted sesame bagel, add sliced roma, salt them a little, then melt muenster or gruyere ...

if you don't like that ... well THEN you'll never like mater, lol ...

i also hated mater texture for a long time ...

haha ...

I bought me some "Super Sweet 100" cherry tomato, I've read many good things about that tomato variety. 

They sprouted a few days ago.

JssTnXy.jpg

Back