• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

Rabbit Stew with chilli

Cooked up Bugs Bunny today in a tomato based stew with chilli... here 'tis..

Bugs with the other ingredients..
IMG_2557.jpg

Chopped up Bugs..
IMG_2558.jpg

In the pot
IMG_2559.jpg

On the plate... served over pasta
IMG_2562-1.jpg

The rabbit was good, but as I got it from the butcher (and not from Dad after he's been hunting) it was very, very mild.. no gamey taste to it at all.. wild rabbit comes out much better! Overall still was nice though.. a few jalepenos in the dish and then topped with some thais for eating..

no olives... the sauce had fresh tomato, onion, garlic, white wine (you could use red as well), bay leaves, carrots, potatos and peas.. if you can get your hands on rabbit you should try it.. wild tastes better.. farmed is more like chicken :)

Thanks TB :) if I could go back to when I was 15 then I'd be doing a chefs apprenticeship instead of ending up doing computer programming and analytics... couldnt do it now as the salary drop would kill me!

mel said:
Thanks TB :) if I could go back to when I was 15 then I'd be doing a chefs apprenticeship instead of ending up doing computer programming and analytics... couldnt do it now as the salary drop would kill me!

Pay no mind to Jay. This ain't Drunken Chef. Food Network would have everyone think that all chefs do is take curtain calls and count all the cash they're rolling in. Sorry to say, that's only on TV. Go make that money girl!!

JayT said:
Looks terrific Mel, pretty big hare too. No booze in da piccy? You on the wagon?:lol:

JT... fell off that wagon... and its rolling down the hill :) i started cooking the rabbit round 2pm this 'arvo and didnt start drinkin till 6pm.. didnt think it was fair to post a drunken pic...

and TB- I hear ya!! gotta bring in the big bucks!!! until MrMel outearns me (ie: lloooooong time... ) wont be changing careers :) if I had of done a chefs apprenticehsip when i could I'd prolly be in a dodgy pub cooking up snitzel!

Yup, working as a chef is not all it's cracked up to be. Def not like TV. It's ok if you're amazingly talented and run your own restaurant, other than that it's a hard 6 hour slog in a male dominated industry. Women are expected to be front of house (waitresses). And the swearing and aggression is for real. I've had a pot thrown at my head that just missed:shocked:. I left that night and never went back into a restaurant kitchen...I think I would of ended up stabbing that guy...Anyhoo I'm too old for that much pressure each day. Cooking at home is much more fun. At least you can't be fired for being drunk :rofl:

/end rant

OT: Great looking rabbit stew Mel :)

mel said:
JT... fell off that wagon... and its rolling down the hill :) i started cooking the rabbit round 2pm this 'arvo and didnt start drinkin till 6pm.. didnt think it was fair to post a drunken pic...

and TB- I hear ya!! gotta bring in the big bucks!!! until MrMel outearns me (ie: lloooooong time... ) wont be changing careers :) if I had of done a chefs apprenticehsip when i could I'd prolly be in a dodgy pub cooking up snitzel!

I wish I had a sugar mama that'd keep me in the manor to which I'm accustomed :(

Deathtosnails said:
Yup, working as a chef is not all it's cracked up to be. Def not like TV. It's ok if you're amazingly talented and run your own restaurant, other than that it's a hard 6 hour slog in a male dominated industry. Women are expected to be front of house (waitresses). And the swearing and aggression is for real. I've had a pot thrown at my head that just missed:shocked:. I left that night and never went back into a restaurant kitchen...I think I would of ended up stabbing that guy...Anyhoo I'm too old for that much pressure each day. Cooking at home is much more fun. At least you can't be fired for being drunk :rofl:

/end rant

OT: Great looking rabbit stew Mel :)

6 hours? My last job as a chefly was minimum 12 hour days. Poo poo on that! I took a demotion to Fishing Guide. Much better! :lol:

6 hours is nothing. Chefs I know show up at 9 am and the restaurants don't even open till 5 pm.

This discussion is precicely why I'd never concider a position as a chef....or even a line cook for that matter.

The thought of putting my culinary creations out there for people to scoff at is utterly redicul.......

.....wait a minute.

Scratch that last comment. ;)

Back