• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

what's the etiquette ?

whats the etiquette for looking for a new job, cuz I've been out of the loop for so long.
I've been self employed for 15 yrs & now looking for a career change, for all those years & several yrs before being self employed getting work was all done over the phone to get work. well thanks to the economy & getting sick of some of the BS, I decided to try to do a career change.

I know I'll have to bite my tongue some, cuz it'll be a knee jerk reaction to tell some people where to go :D

resume...dont even know how to make one. is a resume & coverletter that important to have, even though IMO its over rated when the application is asking everything thats needed to be known.

when sending in your application whats the etiquette for if you should or shouldnt call'em to ask if they'll hire ya or not ? 1 week or just leave it as that - sent in app. if they call...good......if not then dont call them ?

Resume is mandatory. Keep it short and sweet. Provide references. "Reference's upon request" will get you the boot. No one wants to hear about your hobbies or interests. Use spellcheck. I know this because I have hired and fired. Don't waste their time. You need to pass a drug and background screen. No? Don't bother. It is a hirer's market. Forget the job description. Tell them you will do whatever they tell you to do. You must be willing to go above and beyond that. It's not about what your job can do for you but what you can do for your job! Look them in the eye. Don't BS. If you don't know something, tell them so, but also tell them you can be taught. If asked what kind of employee you would be, tell them "the best the company will ever have". Be confident. Then back it up. All my life I have gotten jobs having no experience in fields and done exactly that. My current job I had no experience. Remember, it ain't bs if you tell the truth. If they don't call you back, don't sweat it. If they say they will call you and don't it doesn't mean that you are out of the loop...their first choice may be on the fence or out of it. Call them once to remind them you are still interested, after that, and they don't call you, don't waste your time or theirs. Remember this, if you have a good work history, you WILL be hired sooner than later. Working for others is a whole 'nuther 'thang if you haven't done it for some time. Remember, its not about you but about them. There is no such thing as "can't" or "won't". My own personal secret....... I do the impossible first, the tough stuff later. Make them believe it. Then let them see it.

If you have microsoft word you can click the top left button and click "new" and there are templates for resumes or you can google sample resumes...its really simple, once your finished with it you will be like "thats what I was worried about?!" Good Luck!!

xo nicole

This is your full time job, getting a job. So put 40hrs a week into it, hitting the pavement and handing out resumes. If you don't hand out at least 400 resumes, you just aren't trying.

You will need a resume and you should look over some sample cover letters. Not all jobs require a cover letter but it is good to have a few general copies that you can edit to the specific needs of the position you are applying too. That goes for a resume too, they are not always one size fits all.

There are a lot of websites out there to look for job listings.
www.craigslist.com
www.workyour city.com
www.monster.com
www.linkedin.com

are a few of the ones that I use most. Also, if you have an idea of what type of job you want find a few companies close to you and look for job listings on their websites. Most online job listings do not have applications for you to fill out, they just want a resume and some times a cover letter.

Maybe it is the type of field that I am in (computer programmer) but I use the computer much more than I use the phone or the mail. I send thank you e-mails after every interview. If it is a job I really am interested in and I thought I did well on the interview; I will follow up with an e-mail after a week if I haven't heard back.

I personally have started to avoid consulting companies lately. I know a lot of companies only post jobs through these type of agencies, but I find they never let me know exactly what I am interviewing for which leaves me completely unprepared. In my field there are hundreds of computer languages, add on libraries, work environments, and tools out there that I really need to be more informed on what stuff to look over before I go into an interview. I find that any job interview I go on through a consulting company ends up being a waste of my time and the interviewing companies time.

And...in job interviews these days they may ask some interesting questions. "What would other people say is your strength? what is your weakness?(my son's - too honest) - Have answers! also, some critical thinking or crisis management skills questions- scenarios on how you would handle a difficult situation. What do you expect from this company? (I said, a paycheck that doesnt bounce-I've left three jobs for bounced checks!)

Bathe. shave, get a good hair cut, use deodorant, have clean hands and clean and neatly trimmed fingernails. polish your shoes (they do look at this stuff). If its been more than five years since you wore a suit- go get a new one. you cant pull the dusty ten year old one out of the closet and go to an interview in it (a friend did that)
If you've got party pictures on your facebook page, Go remove them now, and any tags in anybody else's party pics. Many many companies decide they want somebody, then look at their face book page- and change their mind. Your info page is nearly a personal resume -edit it!

Good luck!

TB - drug screen is not even an issue, I'll pass'em. I understand working for someone else will be a big change for me since I could decide my own hours & walkaway if I want to..to come back the next day, or tell someone what I really think of them, or fire someone within 4 hrs of working :lol:

nicole - I didnt even know of that feature for microsoft word, I'll look into that thanks.

paul - sorry to hear about being unemployed for 20 months :eek: the most I've been w/o work was 1-2 months during winter but that was normal.

HS - 400 :eek: I guess I'm a little lazy then. I'm still working making money, just trying to get into another career.

mestrain - I'm finding this out that many places want resumes sent to them instead of having app's to fill out. & thanks for other places to look for job postings, though workyourcity came up with doesnt exsist...unless wrong on my part ?

celeste - those questions would catch me off guard some cuz I havent really thought what I'd say. keeping myself clean is not an issue (I do). suit/tie or worrying about clean hands or dirt under your fingernails...I'm not applying for a pencil pusher job & would be laughed at & probally thrownout if I showed up all manscaped LOL.
plus most of the places I'll be applying at are out of state & I'll never meet them face to face unless hired, if they're interested it'll be by my app/resume then final interview over the phone.

I also dont do facebook or crap like that. I understand some companys look into those places but that is BS IMO. I've heard of people getting fired for pics they've posted, IMO if its legal people shouldnt be fired or denied for what they do on their own time away from work....I think people should be able sue the pants off those companies that look at websites like facebook, then make the decision to hire/fire someone over some pic thats posted on those websites...if its legal who cares!

Oh I guess I should have clarified a bit. You need to change (your city) with the name of your city. For instance I live in Pittsburgh and there is a www.workPittsburgh.com. I know there are many different versions of this site for multiple cities. I think they all stem from www.Jobing.com.

I had a interview several days ago & I thought it went " ok at best " :neutral: it was my 1st real interview I ever had!! & was a little nervous. well I got a call & I've been offered a job :woohoo:
it was from my 1st application I sent out, I've only sent out 5 so far but was getting ready to send about a dozen more out very soon.

though thats just the start of it. I'll have to pass some tests, then do a 2 week training period, then another 30 day training period.
so if it all goes good then I'll be Rockin' the Bakken :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

thanks THP.
well today was hetic between getting some things done today & other stuff I have to do tommorrow. between just getting info as to the where/what/when info just days before leaving, from the 1st offer.
then I got a call from another app & they're interested too :cool:
& talked to a buddy that already started with them...its looking good! :cool:

see ya if I'm not be able to get back online for awhile cuz I just dont know.

Resume is needed at most places except if you looking for a fast food gig. Most places wont even look at your application if you don't have a Resume. A cover letter should tell why you want the job and what qualifications you have that would fit the specific position you are trying to acquire. mesatrin stated a few sites to get you started. It is time consuming but if you are really interested in switching gears you need to do it.

Back