• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Whats wrong with my babies?

Ok, so, I planted my first set of plants the week of Christmas, so those are the ones I will address.
Once they were big enough to pot up, I did so. But, since the beginning of Jan., they have BARELY grown. I think I may have done 2 mistakes. #1-I started them all in peat pellets. When I potted up, I didn't loosen the peat. I just stuck them straight into the soil. Which leads me to #2-I potted them into 3" pots, but into the same mix that I grew my full size plants in last year. (The mix includes 4 parts peat, 2 parts cow manure compost, 2 parts Sta Green potting soil [JUST like MG], and 1 part perlite.) I'm THINKING I may have burned them. In addition to the lack of growth, they are yellowish. I have given them Epsom salt, so that is not the problem.
Anyways, with no further ado, here are a couple of pics for comp.....

Right after I potted them up....
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx237/meaghersean/100MEDIA_IMAG0015.jpg

Today, about 12 hours after a foliar spray of Epsom salt....
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx237/meaghersean/100MEDIA_IMAG0024.jpg

Did you pull the netting off of the peat pots before plugging them into the potting mix? I know that Jiffy says (1) it biodegrades and (2) roots will grow through the netting, but I've seen pictures showing that not to be the case. If you did not remove the netting, pull them out and do it now.

Mine did the same thing...Mixed in some bone meal and seemed to help a little. Noticed the Gracie patch. Royce will be in town in about 2 weeks.

Yup...removed the netting before hand. This method worked fine LAST year. I think they might have grown small then, as well. Just not THIS slow!
Yeppers...its the patch off of the back of my gi.

p.s. I dont have a pH meter, either. It will be a couple of weeks before I can afford one anyways. Damn school! lol Oh, and when I REpotted them into the Pro Mix last week, SOME of them had really good roots.

Could it be over watering? That would explain the yellowing and possibly the growth. I think your soil comp seems pretty good unless the potting soil is a weird kind. Also and I can't verify this but I have heard the peat pots may have trapped your root bulbs and caused them to be root bound. That might be a stretch though because I am biased against peat pots lol. Maybe you got a virus somewhere?

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant in #1. When I repotted, I broke all of that up, keeping the roots as loose, and safe, as I could.

I wouldnt sweat it too much!
Mine get kinda yellowish being under the lights for so long,and it may be a lil too much water, but as long as you keep them babies alive and kicking till plantout,,,,They will perk right up and grow like champs!

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant in #1. When I repotted, I broke all of that up, keeping the roots as loose, and safe, as I could.

Can you clarify, you broke up the peat but did you break up the soil holding the root bulb as well? That can seriously shock your plants when transplanting which would explain it fine. Its sink or swim in that case depending on root damage.

maybe its too acidic ?usually those commercial pot mixed are already balanced with ferts etc. by mixing u might have added too much ? i had similar problems last time when i mix the pot mixes with peat,perlite coco coils etc. and its did not work for me.. plants usually died.. nowdays i just stick to the mix and add ferts as the plant grows.

your plants are just seedlings u might repot some to just the pot mix and see if there any changes ? no immediate changes ..have to be patient :)

just wanna ask.. when u said the same mix u had your adult plants in , are you telling u are using back the old soil or its a new soil but the same mix?

Nah, new soil.
The first time I potted up, I just stuck the peat pellet, minues the netting, into my mix, added water, and went on. When I re-potted into Pro Mix last week, I dumped my mix, broke up the peat pellets, then potted into the Pro Mix.

No breaking up the inside peat. Thats the area surrounding the roots. I read as a general rule of thumb that you shouldn't under any circumstances break up the root bulb for any reason. When you do that you stress the plant with a huge shock which causes the yellowing of the leaves because the plant is diverting all resources to reestablishing a good root bulb in the new soil. If you were gentle then they should live but its always dangerous imo. But I am a noob and this is all from researching.

Well, this year is a BIG experiment year. Just about everything I have done is new. I want to have everything set for next year to be a STELLAR year! But, my plants THIS year are suffering for it. lol

I would advise not using peat pellets if you want to rip the plant from it after it has been growing a few weeks. Its just too risky. Give them some water if they dont pick up soon. The roots need to get reestablished and that is a water demanding process. If the leaves die before the roots get in place the plant will die. If the leaves dont turn green after 24-48 hours after the transplant plan for the worst and plant new seeds :(.

P.S I am worried about the bottommost left plant it seems the brown spots on the plant may look like the leaves are already dieing.

I has no mo! lol BUT, I have extras coming in behind them. They are about ready to be potted up. Just not all of the varieties I have in the 3" ers.

Did you give them a good watering after the transplant? If not water them now! Otherwise you should be fine as long as you didn't snip a few root ends. *crosses fingers*

Jumping Beans holy mackerel

this post is an hour old and had to scroll 3 miles just to add my 2 cents :shocked:

2 ?'s popper hows the heat and what type of light bulbs are you using?

Your right those are pretty small for there age!

My experience tells me, not hot enough, not enough light intensity or over watering, since you eliminated the ladder, just a thought!

SC

Back