• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Whats wrong with my babies?

could be the peat pellets keeping water in too long. this is why i stopped using them. had crappy germination and made my seedlings too wet. i went back to seed raising mixes.

Can you define dead? Dead leaves or the whole stem is dried up and dead? If my hypothesis is correct then they still have a chance of coming back if only the leaves are dead? I would wait until the stem is surely dried up and dead because the status of the plant is not based on the color of the leaves but the amount of energy the plant was stored while growing and the status of the root bulb. If the plants did achieve to store enough energy since germination they can grow new leaves. Can you give us a timeline of when you saw the yellowing of the leaves? I took it that they turned yellow right after the transplant.

I doubt it was a chemical burn unless your bathing them in ferts.

Lonely...you have EVERYTHING right in that last response. Only fert'd them twice with fish emulsion, and that was yesterday. They started turning yellow right after the transplant. And it LOOKS like its just the leaves that were dead. As soon as I woke up this morning, it was 5 plants that were looking bad. So, I pulled all of the bad looking leaves. That way the plants can put all of their energy into growing, instead of fighting to stay healthy. One plant had to loose ALL of its leaves.
Franz...I have used peat pellets this year, at least with THESE plants. They are much easier to care for, for me. BUT, with the problems I have had with them this year, and with the way the starter soil works, I will be staying with the starter soil from now on.
I will be doing some "potting up" of the wave that got sowed behind the group we've been talking about. THEY are going straight into the Pro Mix. I am all but convinced the Pro Mix is what they need. I guess we'll know soon enough!

i use promix but i doctor my promix with coffee grounds, baked ground eggshells, tea leaves, fine sand, ground dried kelp and dried chopped algae from my fishtank, now you don't have to go to this extreme. i am experimenting with a few things this year. when i start to move the plants outdoors in june, i will give them a drink of fish fertilizer.

last year when i started using promix on my potted up plants, the first thing i noticed is how fast the water drains out of my containers. as fast as i poured the water, it would stream out the bottom of the 1 gallon containers. on future pot ups, i put a couple of rocks on the bottom of the container and cut out a circular piece of cardboard, then added the promix. this help retain some of the moisture but eventually the cardboard dissolves. now, i purchase coir containers, put my potted up plants in it first, then move the plant into its container surrounded with promix. by using the coir containers first and not plastic, i can monitor how the roots are evolving. when watering i sometimes have to wrap the coir container to prevent it from buckling. i got the idea watching my dwc plants in rockwool and how i could visibly see the roots piercing through the rockwool working their way to the bubbling oxygenated nutrient mix.

this year, i have also started using aspirin water, given to transplants that appear to be in shock.(325gram tablet in 1 quart of water-then soil water, i tried to foliar spray but i think my tablets are coated and that left a residue on some leaves. it work wonders on 2 hot lemons that i moved from dwc to soil and on a yellow 7 that didn't like its move when potted up - that was before i moved to coir containers.

(this guy germinated jan 9, its a bombay morich from pepperlover stock. sorry about the sunlight...ha,look there, if you look on the upper right leaf you can see an aphid; i still keep my soil plants in my germination chamber at night with heater turned on and covered, in the day they are uncovered and no heat)

HPIM1950.jpg

hope this gives you a few ideas as well.

I also used peat pellets and then potted up in some pro-mix just like you did hot pooper. I also remove the netting, but
if there are roots in the netting I cut around the roots with scissors so I don't disturb them. I do not break up the peat because
I feel that it would disrupt the roots too much. I'm careful not to overwater. When they are dry I used a weak solution of
fish emulsion.

I planted my plants about 2 weeks before you BC, and mine are about half that size. I stuck ALL of my plants outside today since the weather was SO nice. I can say they dont look any WORSE. lol Gotta look on the bright side!

Ok...just repotted about 23 Bhut Carbon's and Douglah's in straight Pro Mix. I guess that should tell me soon if the soil was my problem.

Hey there Poops. I just finished reading through all these posts and would just have to say, less is more. I think BC said the same thing earlier. Just worry about the basics (soil, water, warmth, and light) and these little guys will grow themselves. Hell, this is the first year I'm using a heating pad. Good luck.

Trust me, I havent given them too much. They have gotten fertilizer twice since being potted up in Jan. Both times, including one time yesterday, was just a weak dilution of fish emulsion. Thats not much at all, considering that some people on here start fertilizing the week after they pop. Other than that, Epsom salt I think 3 times. Thats WAY more than some people are giving their plants with WAY better results.
Im still sticking to my bad soil mix/low calcium guns. We'll know soon!

Then maybe it is just bad Ju-Ju of some sort! I would suggest putting on a left handed sock (on your right foot of course), paint your nose with the juices from the rare Peruvian doodie-head plant and do seventeen (not one over) laps counter-clockwise around your back yard. . . on that sockless left foot. That's about all the advice I can think to give you to help your poor sick seedlings.

lol...I have some comparison with these new plants in the Pro Mix. We'll see how that goes. They are getting some nice weather in outside today on the mostly-shaded porch.

Eh. I just fed them earlier. I am about to make a new thread about ferts. You'll see it soon.
Really not much change at all. If any, they have gotten taller. Im just biting my nails at this point. Its pretty dang frustrating.

Ok, update...they haven't gotten greener, but they ARE growing taller! I have had a fan on them a little more than usual, but mainly have been outside during the day. It was almost 80f today! I have been giving them that fish emulsion/lime diluted mix. They are still the same color, but they are about a third taller! I made worm tea tonight, so ALL plants in the bigger pots will be getting some tomorrow. Then next week they get Fox Farm Grow Big! Yay! They're gonna live!

Awesome... Glad to hear they are recovering! Ok so this means absolutely no excuses this fall for not posting multiple chile eating videos.. LOL

lol
With the problems Ive been having with my belly, I dont know if thats gonna happen! HAHAHAHA I will be sending out TONS of peppers though. Ed has already agreed to do a purple Bhut. How about YOU, Beagle? You down for one too?

Back