• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's Wrong With These Plants?!!!

I was anticipating a great harvest of Kashmiri Chillies only to be EXTREMELY disappointed....the plants were big, full, beautiful and full of flowers, BUT NOT ONE CHILLI POD!! What the :cheers: went wrong???.....too much fertilizer, too little sun, sterile plants.....any help would be appreciated.

Are they outside or in and now the light is going and the plants start to shut down,If the plant has only flowered recently,Doubtful
if you would get anymore pods,But Location,Temps and amount of light can make such a difference :)

I don't have any pics of the plants, I just kind of let the frost take care of them. They were grown in (large) containers, fed every month and looked great. Lots of leaves, flowers, no pests....but the flowers would bloom, seem to start to form a pod and then drop. They were grown in full sun and last year my thai peppers did great in that location. Other than sterile plants, or perhaps they needed a cross pollinator, I can't figure out what went wrong.:)

Daisy7117 said:
I don't have any pics of the plants, I just kind of let the frost take care of them. They were grown in (large) containers, fed every month and looked great. Lots of leaves, flowers, no pests....but the flowers would bloom, seem to start to form a pod and then drop. They were grown in full sun and last year my thai peppers did great in that location. Other than sterile plants, or perhaps they needed a cross pollinator, I can't figure out what went wrong.:)

Did you have a cool summer in your location ? :)

Did the plant look nice and dark green? Big leaves? Could have been too much nitrogen. Plants will drop all their flowers but grow huge and look healthy if they get too much N.

Txclosetgrower said:
Did the plant look nice and dark green? Big leaves? Could have been too much nitrogen. Plants will drop all their flowers but grow huge and look healthy if they get too much N.

They did have very green leaves, maybe too much nitrogen is the culprit...next time I grow these I'll cut back on some of the nitrogen and see what happens.:fireball:

Lord, I'm boring myself with this....try searching flower drop, there is a search function on this board........

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low

willard3 said:
Lord, I'm boring myself with this....try searching flower drop, there is a search function on this board........

2. Night temp too low

Daisy7117 said:
Sorry for boring you with this Willard, but I did search the other threads and nothing seemed to address my problem. If any of 1-10 were the causes, all my plants should have been affected, but only the Kashmiri variety had this particular problem and therefore I thought this may actually be some sort of disease.
Don't be offended. Willard has a short attention spam, he bores easly. :D

imaguitargod said:
Don't be offended. Willard has a short attention spam, he bores easly. :D

Hi IGG, didn't mean to sound bitchy (that's the trouble with writing instead of talking, things can come off wrong)...no offense taken;):lol:

lol. I've seen that rssponse so many times from you Willard that it's my background on my computer so I can remind myself why my plantz aren't setting pods. :D They are true. Usually, I am rushing things.

You have that list as a Word document on your computer? :lol:

Chris

willard3 said:

2. Night temp too low

Daisy7117 said:
I don't have any pics of the plants, I just kind of let the frost take care of them...

did you start them late and the cold weather signalled the end of the growing season? blossom and pod production normally taper off as the weather cools, maybe you started them off a bit late for their growing cycle. did you use fresh soil or recycle from the previous year? I grow in pots and find that I must give regular but diluted strength feeds, especially during rainy periods (yes we have had some rain recently in Sydney).

Daisy7117 said:
...If any of 1-10 were the causes, all my plants should have been affected, but only the Kashmiri variety had this particular problem...

not true - different species and even different varieties within a species can vary in their growing patterns, nutrient/sun/water requirements. even the quality of a batch of seeds can vary. ever grown two plants of the same type side by side and one will outgrow and out produce the other despite identical treatment? peppers can be temperamental at times.

I've never grown kashmiri so I'm not familiar with their needs but they are an annuum which generally grow quickly and should set fruit very easily, more so than chinense varieties, at least that is my experience.

presuming that your seeds were ok and your growing conditions adequate for peppers and you're sure that 1-10 are not the causes then I can only suggest one thing. next time try regular feeds of Epsom Salts as you may have magnesium deficiency. peppers often produce lots of flowers but few pods. spray or water your plants with this solution when blossoms appear 2ts to a litre (quart) of water for foliar application to leaves and blossoms. repeat after two weeks. you will find that your plants will turn dark green, blossom drop will reduce and you should be presented with a higher volume of set fruit.

I usually just add a few ts to my weekly or fortnightly regime of seaweed/fertiliser feeding and pour it all over with a watering can. I have sprayed but I found it too fiddly and time consuming.

cmpman1974 said:
lol. I've seen that rssponse so many times from you Willard that it's my background on my computer so I can remind myself why my plantz aren't setting pods. :shocked: They are true. Usually, I am rushing things.

You have that list as a Word document on your computer? :)

Chris

I do from about a year ago, not that I need to refer to it, it's engraved on my brain.

Hi Daisy
I am growing one of the Kashmiri seeds that you sent me this year... At this moment I just have 1 pepper on it... but several forming... I sowed rather late (May), and they have a lot of buds at this moment...
I can't put here a photo now, because my camera ran out of battery, but I'll do it later, ok?

:lol:

cmpman1974 said:
You have that list as a Word document on your computer?

LOL, I do now!:lol:

chilliman64 said:
....presuming that your seeds were ok and your growing conditions adequate for peppers and you're sure that 1-10 are not the causes then I can only suggest one thing. next time try regular feeds of Epsom Salts as you may have magnesium deficiency. peppers often produce lots of flowers but few pods. spray or water your plants with this solution when blossoms appear 2ts to a litre (quart) of water for foliar application to leaves and blossoms. repeat after two weeks. you will find that your plants will turn dark green, blossom drop will reduce and you should be presented with a higher volume of set fruit.

I usually just add a few ts to my weekly or fortnightly regime of seaweed/fertiliser feeding and pour it all over with a watering can. I have sprayed but I found it too fiddly and time consuming.

Hi Chilliman,
I actually started them too early (in Jan.) and maybe that stressed the plants?---this was my first time growing them and I wasn't sure how early I should start them (I know now that they grow like weeds and get to 3' quite quickly). Thanks for the advice and I am going to try your regimen next time I grow them. Another explaination may be that because these plants are native to India, the climate in North East Pennsylvania doesn't provide the growing conditions they require.

rainbowberry said:
I do from about a year ago, not that I need to refer to it, it's engraved on my brain.

Me too!:lol:

whocares said:
Hi Daisy
I am growing one of the Kashmiri seeds that you sent me this year... At this moment I just have 1 pepper on it... but several forming... I sowed rather late (May), and they have a lot of buds at this moment...
I can't put here a photo now, because my camera ran out of battery, but I'll do it later, ok?

I'm glad you got some pods!....so now I know they are capable of fruiting! I'd love to see a photo of them.....I will be starting your seeds mid-Feb.:shocked:

So what is the fix for too much Nitrogen?

Assuming you aren't growing in pots - what is the balancing element that they are lacking?

Brokensea said:
So what is the fix for too much Nitrogen?

Assuming you aren't growing in pots - what is the balancing element that they are lacking?

Phosphorous influences the vigour of plants and improves the quality of crops. It encourages the formation of new cells, promotes root growth(particularly the development of fibrous roots), and hastens leaf development through emergence of ears, the formation of grains, and the maturation of crops. It also increases resistence to diseases and strengthens the stems of cereal plants, thus reducing their tendency to lodge. It offsets the harmful effects of excess nitrogen in the plant. When applied to leguminous crops, it hastens and encourages the development of nitrogen-fixing nodule bacteria. If phosphorous is deficient in the soil, plants fail to make a quick start, do not develop a satisfactory root-system, remain stunted and sometimes develop a tendency to show a reddish or purplish discolouration of the stem and foilage owing to an abnormal increase in the sugar content and the formation of anthoscyanin.

I got this from the following link:

www.krishiworld.com/html/soil_ferti2.html :shocked:

Thank you Daisy!

I had googled this question and hadn't found an answer.

Now to find a lump of phosphorous and dissolve it in water...:)

Back