• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong!!!!

photo.jpg

Everything was ok, they where happy, I transplanted them and.... how can I save them!!!:tear:

I think you may have transplanted too early. The roots are very fragile at this early age and can be easily damaged.
A good practice is to wait until the roots get "rootbound" or enough to hold the soil together so you can transplant them as a plug so to speak. They will live i think but they will be stunted, you could try using superthrive for a while to see what happens.

I will back up Nova's theory....

You have transplanted way to early.......Those plants should only be in 3 inch pots at the moment and shouldn't be anywhere near a pot that size till they are 8 or 10 inches tall!!!!

As Nova said, They will live but you will need to really look after them and they will be stunted a little bit they will come on well soon!!

Novacastrian said:
I think you may have transplanted too early. The roots are very fragile at this early age and can be easily damaged.
A good practice is to wait until the roots get "rootbound" or enough to hold the soil together so you can transplant them as a plug so to speak. They will live i think but they will be stunted, you could try using superthrive for a while to see what happens.

Explain this please, assuming a person does not break up the soil around the root.

And, this completely contradicts what others have said about sprouting multiple seeds in small dixie cups and then separating them after they have sprouted.

How is transplanting a seedling into a two gallon bucket different than a seed that germinates in a two gallon bucket?

How is this different than a seed that sprouts in a garden?

Or a seed that sprouts in the wild?

Maybe you are only referring to disturbing the roots and not referring to the container size.

SV1000 said:
Explain this please, assuming a person does not break up the soil around the root.

And, this completely contradicts what others have said about sprouting multiple seeds in small dixie cups and then separating them after they have sprouted.

How is transplanting a seedling into a two gallon bucket different than a seed that germinates in a two gallon bucket?

How is this different than a seed that sprouts in a garden?

Or a seed that sprouts in the wild?

Maybe you are only referring to disturbing the roots and not referring to the container size.

I was referring to damaging the tiny little roots that are a part of the root mass. Every time that you transplant anything you are effectively stunting it for a period of time. It is like pulling a fish out of water in my drunk mind. They will benefit from transplanting after they have filled whatever soil is available to them in a container if you use the same or better quality soil even better.

Damaging roots on small plants should be avoided as much as possible, they throw out roots that are so small that they are hard to see and if you damage these or worse the tap root it is very detrimental to the productivity of the plant. Seeds that sprout in the wild don't get transplanted. Even if you don't break the soil so to speak you are still damaging those little hair roots, snapping them like an earthquake has gone through their planet.

:cheers:

Cool, because I transplanted a bunch of peppers from little dixie cups to 1-5 gallon pots but I did my best to keep the soil undisturbed.......SV

Pots are not the ground, with it's subsequent drainage (hopefully). The danger of "over potting" is over watering. That's all. Using terra cotta pots can help avoid over watering, but the potting soil also plays a part in this dynamic. Seedling roots in big pots can't absorb enough water; so unless the soil is also a fast draining variety; one risks oxygen deprivation which is the result of over watering. Best to go in increments of size. Pots are not the ground. Don't treat them the same and you'll be fine..

LUCKYDOG said:
They will be fine its just a little shock of the transplant .... careful not to over micro manage --

:lol: How would you like it if someone took you from your mothers womb and transplanted you to another bigger women?

You can really reduce transplant shock by being very carefull with the roots.
I usually plant 9 seeds in 4" pots and then separate them with thier first set of true leaves and they continue growing like normal.
You just have to be carefull not to break the tiny fragile roots.

I could be wrong but if you didn't disturb the soil at all just put it in a hole with all the soil still intact ,it will be OK. I do this with no problem but when I water I only water the area around the root ball and plug that was transplanted!

Back