• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite What's your favorite Burger joint?

Due to a recent thread jacking, (I apologize lol) it occurred to me that there are tons of burger joints in every nook and cranny across the country. Well, the globe actually. Growing up in Seattle, there is a joint called Dick's drive in, and that's exactly what it is. No tables, no drive thru with a clown for a mascot and a speakerphone yelling at you to try the new mcnasty, just a couple windows to walk up and order then sit in your car and watch people. A classic Seattle institution. Dick's has no freezers, no preformed patty's, no precut fries, (the skin is left on the potatoes), no foo no fluff, just $3.00 burgers, greezy fries and awesome shakes. What's in your neighborhood, or what "must have" burger joint did you grow up with?

View attachment 8104

View attachment 8105

View attachment 8106

View attachment 8107

View attachment 8108

I grew up on Whataburger and loved them loooong time. But after 30 or so years away from Texas and trying them again, they are merely an empty shell of what they once were and I no longer eat there.

I savor a good mom and pop burger for true but as per chains, In-N-Out is the sheeit! I've tried just about all the competition and in my opinion, no other chain burger joint even comes close.

Having said that, Dick's is pretty damn guud for the money and when in Seattle, I hit up Dick's.

I still gotta' try Shake Shack though.

I tell you what mine isn't even though you didn't ask.....Steak n Shake. Those fries are ridiculous!! Bloody awful. BOOOO

I can never remember which one has the fresh jap slices. I think its Five Guys in one of the DC airports. THAT was tasty!!!

I knew someone was gonna say Whataburger lol i used to live in texas and i dont see y people are so infactuated with whataburger......and me personally i dont like dicks in my burger hahaha sorry i had to 

I don't really have a favorite burger joint per se, but there is a small chain of pub restaraunts with the inventive name of  The Pub and they have a seriously kick ass Belhaven burger with Belhaven beer cheese and fried onions on a pretzel bun. Yum!. 

There is also a new place springing up all around called BurgerFI, and I'm dying to try it, but haven't yet. 

Five Guys is the most overrated place I've ever been to, the fries are boring and tasteless and the burgers are greasy blobs.

Flanigans makes a pretty damn good burger too. 

http://www.swensonsdriveins.com/default.asp

Your note about drive-in-only reminded me of a little place in the Akron area. I used to go there when I worked and went to school close by, but it's been years. Checked out their website prior to posting this, to find they've grown to 7 locations and now even have a food truck - wow! The one I used to go to was a little dinky thing in the middle of a parking lot - order-takers would run out to your car to get your order, then bring the food to you as soon as it was ready - you never left your car. The building was so small, there wasn't even room for the order-takers to stand inside while they waited for your food to be prepared - I felt badly for them in the rain and snow. Good and hot burgers, fries, and onion rings. 

Edit: And the menu has grown significantly. Wow.

Im surprised no one has mentioned smash burger!!!  In Louisville there is a place called W.W. Cousins thats pretty damn good.  But honestly... some of the best burgers Ive ever had were from Ruby Tuesdays.

thegreenman said:
Five Guys is the most overrated place I've ever been to, the fries are boring and tasteless and the burgers are greasy blobs.
Can't really disagree, but think of how bereft some places can be of good, fast burgers if FiveGuys is highly rated there.... :mope:

And I never compare "real" restaurant burgers to "fast" burgers. Usually there is no comparison, they're just different food groups.  :lol:

There is a place within driving range that I used to go to called Doc's (since 1951!)

Basically its a small walk-up burger/other food type place that you get out your car and walk up to order from the windows. I don't think it's a drive through-could be wrong though.)

I think they have some tables outside, but I just ate on the road most of the time.

geeme said:
And I never compare "real" restaurant burgers to "fast" burgers. Usually there is no comparison, they're just different food groups.  :lol:
Well I don't think anyone is talkin' Micky Dee's or Hardee's here.

A good burger is a good burger. Drive-in, fine dining whatev!

The "drive-in" style is even in some "fine" places; Meridien Hotel's Burger Joint.

I have no chains here worthy of discussion.  There is a Five Guys, and Sonic, but meh.  There is one place I love, a local joint called River Street.  They make a 1/2lb Angus burger with your choice of toppings and fries for $6.95.  I always get mine medium with bacon, cheddar, jalapenos, and bbq sauce.

geeme said:
Your note about drive-in-only reminded me of a little place in the Akron area. The one I used to go to was a little dinky thing in the middle of a parking lot - order-takers would run out to your car to get your order, then bring the food to you as soon as it was ready - you never left your car.

That's why it's called a drive-in!! :rofl:

Oh geeme.

Smash Burger is damn right tasty!
I like Culvers Butter Burgers with the fried cheese curds as well as Steak N Shake. As Chewi said the fries are awesome, ;) especially with the cheese sauce and a healthy dose of the pepper juice they have on the table.
I dig INO and could care less if I ever eat another Whataburger...
Krystal's are good but I prefer White Castle.
Just bought a cravers case ;) what else is better to wash the Makers down?
Forgot to mention Chunkys in San Antonio... The Jalapeño burger is RIGHT as is the Ghost burger.
Haven't tried the Four Horseman though... The sauce on it is supposedly Mad Dog 357 and I ain't eating that crap.

texas blues said:
I grew up on Whataburger and loved them loooong time. 

Love Whataburger!!!  I grew in Tulsa.  My dad and I used to have debates over which was better, Whataburger or Lotaburger.

Now that I live in Seattle, I do love Dick's.  Though good luck getting through the line at 2AM on a Friday night!

5 Guys Burgers is also a good one.  Simple menu but really great burgers.

We have a Place here that puts most all the other burgers to shame, The Pizza Barn in Loxahatchee FL and the Barn Burger OWNS!!!!  

Back