• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's your favourite variety?

Hi

I grew a few varieties of chillis last year and amongst my favouties were the Golden Habanero and the Naga jolokia. I have been bitten by the chilli bug and this year have decided to experiment with some more varieties including Krakatoa, Sizzler, Cobra, White Habanero, Bangalore Torpedo. Chilli plants have such exotic sounding names and I am looking forward to growing them and tasting the chillis.

I wondered what other people's favourite chillis were and if there were any you recommend?

Also is there an exact number as the the different varieties of chillis?

Piquins? Are they like bird peppers?
I was given some 'chiltepin' seeds the other day. Are these piquins?
Are they good to eat?

I say grow as many as you can look after and at least 5 of each mininmum so you can kill off the crappy ones and keep the good ones or plant them in different areas so wind hail ect dosent kill off all your plants .

I suggest
pepper fish
jalepeno
naga
tabasco
black pearl

My favorite - because I'm a wimp when it comes to eating them, is the Hungarian Hot Wax, Simply a fantastic pepper, either ripe or ground into powder to add to almost any dish - including scambled eggs and potato pancakes.

That's not to say I'm not a fan of the super hots, the medium hots and the other lightweight (on the Scoville scale) peppers. I have close to 50 types I am growing this year and will probably narrow that down to no more than 20 next year, probably 15.

Mike

Since this is my first year expanding my horizons...So far I'd say Habaneros but that may change after this years grow season.

same, i love habs. my favorite burn and crispness that no other chile i've TRIED has. now seeing as i am growing about 15 or more chinense varieties maybe i'll move over to scotch bonnets or fatalli :O hopefully naga or bhut/bih won't become my favorite :D ow.

tori said:
Piquins? Are they like bird peppers?
I was given some 'chiltepin' seeds the other day. Are these piquins?
Are they good to eat?

Ya, they are a bird pepper. Chiltepins are different that piquins and piquins are great to eat! Except for the seeds on this one, they have a soapy/bitter taste I find.

Fatalii, Prik kee nu suan (or any of the small thai frutescens types), red congopepper, yellow jamaican scotch bonnet,
gotta gro nagas or bhuts.
orange habanero always seem to do well in most climates.

This is the first year of many hot peppers so I'm keeping an open mind. I prefer flavor to heat, like heat but subtle, not knock you over the head with it. Last year the kung paos, super chiles, thais, hot wax and jalapenos thrived in our drought conditions. Some mighty hot jalapenos due to that!

We're growing habs, bhuts, naga morich, scotch bonnets and a whole lot more this time around.

Jackie

I'd say regular orange habs are my "go to" pepper, they go with anything and have a great flavor and "medium" heat.

Just made a ham & cheese sammich with my concocted hab mayo and a little horseradish musturd...yummmy!

Once I get stuff growing, I'm sure other kinds will be faves too, as I really liked the fatali a lot.

~Q

Kashmiri chilli (most flavorful and colorful), Urfa Biber (Smoky Purple Turkish Pepper powder-great ingredient for dry-rub for beef or chicken), Jalapeno, Thai dragon---it really depends on what I'm cooking at the time.

whats your favorite chile.
well do you mean to grow or eat ?
to eat, are the habanero types - so far are the caribbean reds & some other types. but they're not my favorite to grow because I dont get as many pods because of my weather :( & super hots like bhuts etc... are not worth my time or money to grow a couple pods from a plant.
to grow (which I also like to eat) so you could say my all time favorite are thai chiles

I love the habanero flavour.. Growing chocolate habs, jalapeno(you cant get them fresh here) and lemon drop. My white habanero seeds refused to sprout! :(
Thnking about getting seeds for one of the super-hots, for fun, because I'm nowhere near able to eat one of those like you people eat them in here :)

Superted

Back