• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Where to buy Epsom salts?

I'm assuming what we can buy called Andrews powder is the same kind of thing, my Mum said she used to buy Enos (for health purposes) but that was light years ago.

Cool. It does have Magnesium Sulphate in it.

From: google of a PDF: http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cach...f.pdf+andrew's+salts&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Original Andrews Salts
250 g
SB
Original Andrews Salts
Fast and effective relief from upset stomach

WHAT IS IT FOR? Original Andrews Salts quickly and effectively relieves:
Indigestion Upset Stomach
Excess Acid
Constipation Symptoms of Over-Indulgence
Also suitable for children over 3 years of age.

INGREDIENTS: Effervescent powder containing: Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate Ph Eur 22.6% w/w, Citric Acid Ph Eur
19.5% w/w and Magnesium Sulphate 17.4% w/w. Also contains 2.1 g of sucrose per 5 ml spoonful. The
recommended daily adult dose of four 5 ml spoonfuls contains 8.4 g of sucrose. Sodium content: 319 mg per 5 ml
spoonful.

QuadShotz said:
idk, but it seems awful salty for use with plants..I'd stick to regular Epsom Salt if it was me.
x2

The ingredients shown seem fairly safe, but you really wouldnt need effervescent stuff with your fertilizer, nor would you need sucrose. i don't know about citric acid.

Plain epsom salts should be cheaper too.

AlabamaJack said:
if you do go to walmart, they have it in the fertilizer section in a plastic bag...will be interesting to see the difference in price (if there is any)

it probably costs more things usually cost more in canada compared to the United States :P

the54 said:
it probably costs more things usually cost more in canada compared to the United States :P

I was talking about at the same walmart store and the epsom salts being in the medicinal section vs the gardening section....

sorry for not being more clear..

ya, garden store wanted liek $8 for a 3lb bag of mag sulphate..plus it had extra fert in it..ugh. $2 carton at wally world much better.

any older pharmacy in the u.k sells it r.b, even asda inhouse pharmacy;)

1/2 a teaspoon per litre seems to be a good amount for my plants.

AlabamaJack said:
Is there a difference in "medicinal" espom salts and the "agricultural" grade?

nope, it's both the same stuff... Magnesium Sulfate... shop around 1st at a garden center or a nursery and then check the drug stores anc compare prices.

rainbowberry said:
I'm assuming what we can buy called Andrews powder is the same kind of thing, my Mum said she used to buy Enos (for health purposes) but that was light years ago.

Light years is a measure of distance and not of time. People get it mixed up because it has the words "years" in it...

Ok, so I saw that on a tv show the other night, thought it was humourous, doubt anyone else gets it :)

talas said:
any older pharmacy in the u.k sells it r.b, even asda inhouse pharmacy;)

1/2 a teaspoon per litre seems to be a good amount for my plants.

Cheers Talas, I know just the place now. The little village pharmacy where everyone knows what's wrong with you, it dosen't help that the pharmacist assumes everyone is pushing a hundred and going deaf.

really does GREEN up your plants and a couple of serranos that i had which looked dreadful have really picked up..just make sure you don't use your normal fertilizer at the same time,just give the epsom a week to work its magic :)

somebody gave me the tip on here wish i could remember who it was to thank them.

Talas (I know you're away at the moment) but just to let you know that the chemist had sold out but I got a 1.25 Kg box of Epsom salts from the garden centre.

Back