• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

While we're on the subject of pus oozing spider bites...

Since we seem a bit stuck on the of pus oozing spider bites, I thought I'd post this. It's about a bad staph infection that looks like a spider bite.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=53770&provider=top

Doctors: Staph-Like Infection Becoming "Epidemic" in Midlands

(Columbia) – The condition is called MRSA. It resembles a staph infection, but can be acquired anywhere throughout the community.

Daniel King isn't used to laying around, missing work, and sick.

“This is a total surprise for me," he said.

Last week, the disease hit King like a ton of bricks. His leg was swollen and oozing fluid after a long day at work. He says the pain was unbearable.

“My pain in my leg is pretty bad,” he said from his couch, his right leg bandaged and elevated. “Hard to walk around, hard to stand up on it for long periods of time."

His doctor tells him he likely has a case of MRSA, or Methicillin Resistant Staph-Aureus. It's a staph-like infection acquired not so much in hospitals, but rather in random places throughout the community. In short, doctors say anyone can get it.

“The frequency is definitely on the up rise,” said Troy Blanks. “It's becoming an epidemic."

"Epidemic" is not a word Blanks likes to use, but in this case, the physician's assistant at Doctor’s Care says it's an accurate assessment.

Blanks says he's been treating about one case of MRSA every day for several months now. Another Columbia Doctor's Care tells us they, too, have been seeing more of these cases. Doctors say they don't really knows why.

The infection starts off ugly, and only gets worse.

“It usually has a volcano-like appearance with a surrounding redness,” said Troy. “Usually there is some type of drainage that comes about."

In most cases, like Daniel King’s, the infection can resemble a spider bite. It has to be numbed and drained. That's often followed by an antibiotic prescription.

“I wouldn't wish this on anybody,” he said. “Enemies, non-enemies, non-friends, Bin-Laden, anybody.”

MRSA can be deadly if left untreated. If you or anyone you know has a condition similar to this, you may want to pay a visit to your doctor.

bubbaschili said:
so the other thread got so big it needed a sequal???
lol

Well, it's oozing pus caused by bacteria, not oozing pus caused by a spider bite, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

Dang that sounds gross PAM...AHHHH:lol::lol: I have no puss. Good info though. Man that's GROSS!!;) Good info though.

one of my dogs gets a 'hot spot' on his face occasionally in summer and it turns into a staph infection (according to the vet) - a huge green pus-sy sore!

Back